Telegraph Offices on Suburban lines - D to M.


The following Telegraph Offices are included on this page:

East Melbourne Elsternwick Elwood Emerald Hill Essendon
Fairfield Fitzroy Flemington Flemington Racecourse Footscray
Footscray West Glenroy Hotel Victoria Hotham  
Kew Malvern Moonee Ponds Moorabbin  


East Melbourne.

The Telegraph Office and the Post Office were opened on 1 August 1884 about 2.5 km east of the G.P.O.

The office was issued with a 1 hole Belt & Buckle date stamp:
  1. used in black: 29 July 1889 to
    24 October 1894;

Size: 27 × 38 mm (e = 0.70).

Rated: RRR.

Number in the Census:



East M Statute
29 July 1889 (earliest recorded date).
Only known complete cover with a Belt & Buckle cancelling a Stamp Statute.

Provenance: Hugh Freeman, Johnstone.

East Melbourne 1 hole Belt & Buckle used in black on a cover to Waverley, Queensland. East 1890
30 April 1890.
One of only two complete covers with a Belt & Buckle used to an inter-Colonial destination.
Provenance: Max Watson, Johnstone.
East Melbourne 1 hole Belt & Buckle used in black on an unaddressed Letter Card. East Mel 1891
19 February 1891.

East Melbourne 1 hole Belt & Buckle used in black on an embossed Post Card sent to Germany.

Belt & Buckle has the date 4 April 1892 - so six months after Victoria joined the UPU - see below.

This is one of four recorded items sent to an overseas destination with a Belt & Buckle date stamp.


4 April 1892 - on a Post Card to Germany (Abacus Auctions 2 Lot 1078).

  1. Used in blue: 3 April 1891 and 14 September 1891 (2 strikes).
    (only recorded dates).

Size: 27 × 38 mm (e = 0.70).

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 2.

Tied with two strikes of the East Melbourne Belt & Buckle date stamp in blue.

Note this card was sent just before Victoria joined the UPU - see below.

This is one of four recorded items sent to an overseas destination with a Belt & Buckle date stamp.

Blue B&B
14 September 1891 - two strikes in blue. Same addressee as the previous Post Card.

Torsten Weller noted that the 3d red postal card is inscribed "FOR THE UNITED KINGDOM VIA ITALY". It was sent to Germany and additionally franked with a 2d violet Naish and a 1d brown cut-out from a postal card to pay the 6d pre-UPU foreign ship latter rate.

The concessional 2d or 3d postcard rates (depending on the route) only applied to cards sent to the United Kingdom. Postcard rates to other countries were not introduced until after Victoria joined the UPU in October 1891. Steig states (p.30) that "cards used during the correct period (prior to 1 October 1891) are very scarce.


The Telegraph Office opened in 1886.

It was soon assigned to the telegraph line linking Albert Park via St. Kilda to Brighton.

The site on which a new building could be erected was long debated. For example, the Oakleigh Leader of 2 June 1888 reported: "The Elsternwick Improvement Committee last Wednesday evening unanimously decided that, as the question of the most suitable site for the new Post and Telegraph office was of such public importance, they would leave the residents in the immediate vicinity to settle the question amongst themselves.

We learn that a petition praying for it to be on the eastern side of the line is being numerously signed and also the residents of the western side have bestirred themselves and they too, have a counter petition to which a very large number of signatures are being attached".
The new Post and Telegraph Office was opened on 11 September 1891 (12 months after tendering) by the Premier (Mr. Munro) because the Postmaster-General (Mr. Duffy) was sick. Amongst the speeches, a reference to "the federation question" on the grounds of it being "within the range of practical politics". In another speech, the local Member (Mr. Bent) indicated "he was pledged to support (the Women's Franchise Bill) but if women had a vote he would support the granting of two votes to men" (The Argus). Elsternwick 2

Elsternwick was issued with two types of date stamp for use with telegraphic matters:

  1. a 2 hole Belt & Buckle date stamp.

Used in black: 7 September 1892 to 19 September 1893.


Rated: RRR.

  1. a rectangular rubber TELEGRAPH date stamp

Used in violet: 5 January 1972.

Size: 26 × 49 mm.

Rated: RRRR.

Number recorded: 1.

Elsternwitk T
5 January 1972.
Image by courtesy of Brian Sampson.

A rectangular date stamp marked ELSTERNWICK but no inclusion of either TELEGRAPH or POST OFFICE.

Used (in blue (?) on a telegram): 6 October 1938.

Size: 27 × 29 mm.

Rariety (on a telegram): RRR.

Number in the Census: 3.

6 October 1938.
Used on AB-GCF-34C.

A rubber oval date stamp (RO3-ELSTERNWICK) marked ELSTERNWICK but no inclusion of either TELEGRAPH or POST OFFICE.

Used in violet on a telegram: 14 September 1940.

Size: 29 × 49 mm (e = 0.81).

Rariety (on a telegram): RRR.

Number in the Census: 2.


14 September 1940.
Used on Birthday Greetings form AB-GB-39A.


Postal date stamps were also applied telegrams:


Standard Elsternwick date stamp (5 mm arcs).
Diameter 28.5 mm.
Applied (very late) to the two stamps in the 1900 Charity issue
for the Patriotic Fund/Boer War.
22 September 1911.

The Post Office opened on 31 March 1914.

Three formats of a Post & Telegraph rubber date stamp were used at Elwood:
  1. RO3 - P&TO - Elwood.

Used in blue: 18 February 1932.

Size: 28 × 48 mm (e = 0.81)

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 1.

Used on AB-DO-8A.

18 February 1932.

2. RO6 - P&TO - ELWOOD.

Used in violet: 24 October 1939 and 11 May 1940.

Size: 29 × 49 mm (e = 0.81)

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 2.


Note: date order is month-day-year.
No letters after ELWOOD.

24 October 1939.
Used on a Birthday Greetings Telegram (AB-GBF-39A).
11 May 1940.
Used on a Mother's Day Greetings Telegram (AB-GE-34).

3. RO6-P&TO - ELWOOD S3.

Used in violet: 1941 to 31 December 1943.

Size: 32 × 52 mm (e = 0.79)

Rated: RR.

Number in the Census: 5.

Note: date order is day-month-year.
Has S3 after Elwood.

Elwood 1942
10 February 1942.
Used on Birthday Greetings form AB-GBF-39B.

Emerald Hill.

The Leader of 3 June 1871 reported in local news that "Mr. Whiteman has always the interests of his constituents at heart. On Wednesday he gave notice of the following matter, which he intends bringing before the Chief Secretary on Tuesday. He intends then to call the attention of the hon. the Chief Secretary (in view of the increasing population and extension of the borough of Emerald Hill) to the desirability of a mid-day postal delivery and also of telegraphic communication being extended to that borough, and to ask if he will take any steps to have such accommodation afforded. The question is one that ought to get a favorable answer".

The new Post and Telegraph Office opened in February 1872. On 9 March 1872, the Gazette listed the appointment of Mrs Aspinall as the Manager of the Electric Telegraph and Post Mistress at Emerald Hill.

The Leader of 1 April 1876 reported "The establishment of telegraphic communication between the Melbourne Fire Brigade station and those of the suburbs, as recommended in The Age, has been initiated by the Town Council of Emerald Hill. On Wednesday they unanimously decided to adopt the suggestion and in the course of next week the necessary arrangements will probably bo completed".

The Emerald Hill Post and Telegraph Office was relocated in October 1880 from the old building in Clarendon Street (which will now be sold) to the new Town Hall.

The name of the Office was changed to South Melbourne on 21 November 1883.


The Telegraph Office was opened in August 1878 at the Railway Station.

The Argus reported on 24 February 1881 that "a deputation from the borough of Essendon and Flemington introduced by Mr. Deakin M L A yesterday asked the Minister of Public Works as they were about to erect a new town hall, to pay £100 a year rental for a part of the building they designed for new Post and Telegraph Offices the Government at present pay £75 a year for a building. Mr Langridge said he would send an officer of the department to report on the subject, and let the deputation know the result".

Essendon was issued with three types of date stamp for use with telegrams:
  1. a 1 hole Belt & Buckle date stamp.

Used in black: July 1891 to 15 June 1894.

Size: 27 × 38 mm (e = 0.70).

Rated: RR.

2 July 1892.

13 December 1893.
Essen 1894
30 March 1894.
  1. a rubber oval TELEGRAPH date stamp (RO2-T) was used in violet.

Size: 29 × 47 (e = 0.79).

Use: 19 February 1982 (only recorded date).

Rated: RRR.

Essend 1982
19 February 1982.
  1. a narrower rubber oval TELEGRAPH date stamp (RO2-T) was used in violet.

Size: 27½ × 47½ mm (e = 0.82).

Use: 23 January 1985 to 30 June 1986.

Rated: RRR.


Essendon 1981
30 June 1986 (latest recorded date).

A Post Office rubber oval date stamp was also used on telegrams.

Used on a Telegram: 24 November 1939.

Size: 32 × 46 mm (e = 0.72).

Rated on a telegram: RR.

Number in the Census: 3.

24 November 1939.
Used on a 1954 Greetings telegram form AW-GSF-54C.
The usual postal date stamp was also used on telegrams. Essendon


The Office was reclassified as a Post Office on 4 April 1887 having been opened as a Receiving Office on 21 February 1887.

Details of the Telegraph Office are not known.

Fairfield is about 7 km NE of the GPO and between two of the branches of the NE Suburban lines.

Four formats of rubber TELEGRAPH OFFICE rubber date stamps are recorded and they were issued from 1971.

1. oval TELEGRAPH OFFICE with postcode only.

Used in violet: 13 July 1971.

Size: 32 mm high (not seen complete).

Rated: RRRR.

Number recorded: 1.

2. oval TELEGRAPH OFFICE with Flinders 3078 postcode at the base (RO2-TO).

Used in violet: 6 May 1972.

Size: 34 × 49 mm (e = 0.72).

Rated: RRRR.

Number recorded: 1.

Fairfield 1972

3. oval TELEGRAPH OFFICE with postcode only.

Used in red: 13 November 1975.

Size: 35 × 52 mm (e = 0.74).

Rated: RRRR.

Number recorded: 1.


4. circular TELEGRAPH OFFICE with phone number and postcode.

Used in violet: 4 June 1976 to 2 February 1977.

Diameter: 28.5 mm.

Rated: RRR.



"Mr. Tucker, M.L A., yesterday introduced a deputation from Fitzroy to the Postmaster-General, to urge the necessity for the establishment of a more suitable Receiving House in the town and also of a Telegraph Office. It was pointed out that Fitzroy, which had a population of 18,000, was the only town in the colony which had not a Post and Telegraph Office, there being only a Receiving house for letters at a bookseller's shop in Brunswick Street. As there is no Telegraph Office, residents of Fitzroy desiring to send telegrams have to go to Collingwood or Melbourne. It was suggested that the building adjoining the Receiving Office should be rented, it now being available to let, and turned into a Telegraph Office. Mr. Lalor requested the deputation to write to him on the subject, giving particulars as to the estimated cost of the proposal".

The Argus, 16 June 1877.

The Telegraph Office was opened in September 1877.

The Argus of 28 February 1882 reported that "The Postmaster-General has urged the Minister of Public Works to immediately call for tenders for the erection of the new Post and Telegraph offices at Fitzroy and Carlton. Instructions will accordingly be given for the completion of the arrangements preliminary to the acceptance of the contracts without delay".

Fitzroy was issued with three formats of date stamps for use with telegrams:

  1. a 1 hole Belt & Buckle date stamp.

Used in black: 16 December 1891 and 3 July 1896.

Size: 27 × 38½ mm (e = 0.71).

Rated: R and RRR (complete).

Number in the Census: 10
Complete examples are rare.

Fitzroy B&B
Used at Fitzroy 31 May 1893 on a Reply Paid Telegram delivery envelope (VC-ER-1).

16 December 1891
(earliest recorded date).

17 March 1894.
Provenance: Hugh Freeman Johnstone.

3 July 1896
(latest recorded date).
9 August 1892.
One of two strikes on the front of a cover sent to Newtown, Sydney.
Cover is in poor condition unfortunately.
  1. Rectangular rubber TELEGRAPH OFFICE date stamp
    (RRH - TO).

Used in violet: 9 February 1948 and 16 March 1950.

Size: 25 × 43 mm.

Rated: RRRR.

Number recorded: 2.


9 February 1948 (earliest recorded date).
Used on AW-DO-10 (1945).
2 June 1948.

Used on a delivery envelope to Leeds, England.
Postal date stamp for AIR MAIL SECTION of 1 June.

  1. A rubber TELEGRAPH oval date stamp

Used in violet: 17 September 1956.

Size: 32 × 50 mm (e = 0.77).

Rated: RRRR.

Number recorded: 1.

17 September 1956.
Used on AW-GC-54B.

Fitzroy North.

The Telegraph Office was opened in April 1879.


A Telegraph Office was opened at Flemington in about 1877 or in early 1878.

The Argus of 8 April 1879 reported some problems:

"The Postmaster General was yesterday waited on by a deputation from Flemington on the subject of the local Post and Telegraph arrangements at Flemington. The Post Office has been kept by Mr. Brady grocer and the Telegraph Office by Mr. James Chemist. Wishing to amalgamate the offices, the Postmaster General called for a departmental report. This report stated that, pending the erection of suitable premises by the Government, a portion of Mr James' place which could accommodate both the Post and Telegraph offices could be rented for £52 per annum. Also that Mr James' place was more central than Mr Brady's.

The deputation yesterday urged that Mr. Brady's services be retained and protested against the alleged proposed appointment of Miss James - daughter of Mr. James - as Post and Telegraph Mistress on the ground that she was "only a new chum". Mr Patterson said he had been informed that Miss James had been in Victoria before her recent arrival here and that she had studied hard to qualify herself for a position in the Department. He had determined to amalgamate the two offices and to rent for that purpose portion of Mr James' premises. The Department would examine Miss James with a view to ascertaining her qualifications. In the meantime, an officer from Melbourne would be placed in charge of the combined offices. Mr. Brady was not acquainted with telegraphy and his services would not be retained".

The Ovens and Murray Advertiser of 10 April reported "The Postmaster-General has cancelled the appointment of Miss James as Post and Telegraph mistress at Flemington, he having found that false representations have been made which induced him to confer the appointment to her".

Flemington Racetrack.

The running of the Queen's Plate (now called the Queen Elizabeth Stakes) in 1865 was a special occasion at Flemington. The winner was Volunteer. The event had to be cancelled in 1864 and 1866. The Gippsland Times of 8 November 1865 reported as follows:

"The arrangements reflected the highest credit on the club and specially upon their indefatigable secretary, Mr. Bagot, who, among other things, in order to make the affair as complete as possible, induced the Government to carry the telegraph wire into the grand-stand where there was a neat little telegraph office and a couple of smart clerks, thus enabling business men to receive intelligdnce of how business etc was going on in town while they were enjoying the pleasures of the turf. This was also a great convenience to the press and to telegraphic agents. Thus the results were flashed along the magic wires to all the neighboring colonies before even the jockeys had returned to scale. Mr. Dickson of St. Kilda was the grand-stand caterer and well did he perform his duty".

Report upon the Affairs of the Post Office
and Telegraph Department for the Year 1880, p. 17.

The Telegraph Office was opened in October 1873.



The Office was issued with three types of date stamp which were used with telegrams.
  1. a two hole Belt and Buckle date stamp.

Used in black: 30 October 1888 to 1894.

Size: 27 × 39 mm (no previous example has been as complete).

Rated: RRR.

Footscray 1890
15 November 1893.

Commercial Bank of Australia PSE postcard to Carlton with Footscray 2 hole Belt & Buckle date stamp applied in black. Footscray card
  1. the usual Post Office date stamp.

Diameter: 29 mm.

12 December 1936.
Used on Congratulations form AB-GCF-34B.

  1. a rectangular rubber TELEGRAPH SECTION date stamp (RRH1-TS) with Office and Postcode.

Used: 18 March 1982 with date right justified in violet ink.
15 March 1983 to 23 June 1988 with date centered in violet ink
and on 15 March 1983 in magenta ink.

Size: 26½ × 37 mm.

Rated RRR.

18 March 1982 - only recorded date.
Date right justified.

23 June 1988.
D ate centered.

Footscray West.

Footscray West opened as a Post Office in December 1916 having been a Receiving Office since 15 April 1914.

Two formats of rubber oval TELEGRAPH OFFICE date stamps were used:

  1. a RO2-TO in violet.

Size: 32 × 51 mm (e = 0.78).

Use: 19 and 21 November 1964.

Rated: RRR.

Footscray W 1964
21 November 1964.

Used on AA-DO-13C.

  1. a RO2-TO in violet.

Size: 29 × 43 mm (e = 0.73).

Used: 13 August 1985 to 2 April 1987.

Rated RRR.

Footscray West 1987
2 April 1987 (latest recorded date).

The Telegraph Office



Three types of rubber TELEGRAPH OFFICE date stamps were issued to Glenroy for use with telegrams.

  1. RRH1 -TO.

Size: 34.5 × 36 mm.

Used 2 January 1974 only.

Rated RRRR.

  1. RRH1-TO with postcode and phone number.

Size: 35 × 37 mm.

Used: 6 May 1982 only.

Rated: RRR.

6 May 1982 (only recorded date).
  1. RRH1-TO with postcode and phone number.

Size: 32.5 × 37.5 mm.

Used: Used 19 November 1984 only.

Rated: RRR.


Hotel Victoria.

A Telegraph Office was established at the important Hotel Victoria in August 1893.

Discussion of the possiblility was raised in a letter to the Editor of the Argus of 15 October 1892 (p. 10):


Sir- A post, telegraph and money order office would be a boon to the residents in the neighbourhood of Beaconsfield Parade, Albert Park and they are now sufficiently generous to insure a decent revenue in return for such facilities. As an inducement, I believe an arrangement somewhat like that lately made with Menzies Hotel can be made in the way of the free use of a suitable office in the Hotel Victoria, which is a first class building and well situated for the purpose. As there would be no expense for premises or rent it is hoped the postal authorities will favourably consider this proposal.
Yours, etc.,
William Falin.
Beaconsfield Parade, Oct. 14.

The letter obviously struck a chord because, about 11 months later, the Argus of 2 September 1893 reported:

"A new telegraph Office has been established by the Department at the Hotel Victoria, Beaconsfield Parade, South Melbourne".

No further information about the operation or a date stamp to be used for telegraphic work is known.

The Australasian of 8 September 1906 (on page 36) did include an article and a photograph of the hotel:

"This popular residential hotel is situated on Beaconsfield Parade, Albert Park, South Melbourne and is one of the most charming and convenient health resorts in and around Victoria, and within fifteen minutes tram or train ride of Collins Street, Melbourne.

It faces the bay and is one of the most up-to-date and homely residential hotels in Australia. The salubrity of its site makes it a home for tourists, and for country and interstate visitors. It has recently been redecorated, and is handsomely furnished.

Post and Telegraph offices are in the building. The telephone number is 1523. Hot and cold baths, sea-bathing, and every modern and up-to-date convenience make it an admirable summer residence. It is noted throughout Australia for the excellence of its cuisine.

The hotel has recently passed into the hands of the original proprietors, Mrs. and Mr. John Macgregor."


The Post & Telegraph Office appears to have closed in 1919.


The Telegraph Office was opened in June 1875 while the combined Post and Telegraph Office was opened in July 1876.

The Australasian of 24 October 1874 reported that "At the meeting of the Hotham Borough Council, held on Monday evening, a letter was read from the Department of Public Works stating that the Government were prepared to advance £1,500 to the Corporation for the erection of a courthouse and £l,000 for the erection of Post and Telegraph Offices in conjunction with the new Town Hall. The plans would require to be approved of by the department and the buildings be of the following dimensions: ... one general office room in the Post Office, 20ft by 35ft; stores and battery room, 15ft by 12ft; livingroom, 16ft by 34ft; two bedrooms, 15ft by 12 ft.; with kitchen, servant's room and necessary out-offices".

The Argus of 10 July 1876 described

"A fine public building, consisting of town hall, post and telegraph offices, and court house, has been erected at Hotham, a populous suburb of Melbourne. The edifice, which has a tower 150 ft in height, is one of the finest of the kind in the colony. It has been cheaply constructed, however, the cost being only £12,000. The buildings were recently opened with a banquet and ball".

Early use.

The earliest evidence of the operation of the Hotham Telegraph Office is a telegram delivery form (VC-DO-8B) used for a message transmitted from Hotham to Richmond on 1 March 1878.

The Hotham Office was issued with a 1 hole Belt & Buckle date stamp.

Used in black: 13 January 1885 to
20 September 1887.

Size: 27 × 38 mm (e = 0.70).

Rated: RRR.

Number in the Census: 1.

29 August 1887.

The Telegraph Office was opened on 16 February 1875. The 1874 Annual Report noted "Poles have been extended from Hawthorn to Kew to which place a wire has been run."

On 11 May 1881, the Argus reported that "The Postmaster General yesterday received a deputation from Kew with respect to the site of the new Post aud Telegraph offices at that place. They urged that land should be purchased for the new offices at the corner of Cotham road, near the Bull Inn that being the most central and convenient position. Mr Landridge said that he intended to purchase some land at that poiut for the new offices but as it was advisablo that the whole of the public offices should be together he suggested that the local authority should erect their new town hall and other public buildings on adjoining ground".

The Lilydale Branch of the Melbourne NE line was constructed from Kew.

Kew Kew location
Kew Post & Telegraph Office on the corner of Cotham Road.
Kew was issued with two formats of a circular rubber TELEGRAPH OFFICE date stamp for use with Telegrams.
  1. RC1-TO - 2 digit year with apostrophe in front.

Size: 31 mm diameter.

Used: 26 November 1979 and 23 April 1985.

Rated: RR.

Kew 1980
26 November 1979.
Violet ink.
Apr 85
23 April 1985.
Magenta ink.
  1. RC1-TO - 4 digit year just touching OFFICE.

Size: 31.5 mm diameter.

Used: 24 March 1980 and 23 April 1985.

Rated: RR.

Kew 1988
29 June 1988.
A straight line hand stamp KEW was also used on telegrams and delivery envelopes.

Size: 7 × 29 mm.

Kew SL
Used on AW-EU-8.
The usual Post Office date stamp was also used on telegrams.

Diameter: 30 mm.

Kew 1960
22 January 1960.
Used on AA-DO-13B.

An interesting event at Kew was reported in the Argus of 27 August 1878:

"The Rev. Duncan Fraser's lecture in the Town Hall at Kew, on Wednesday, was well attended. The subject of acoustics and the wonderful new inventions connected with this science, was popularly treated. At 9 p.m. Mr. Perrin, of the Lilydale Telegraph Office, aided by some ladies and gentlemen, began to communicate with the Kew audience by telephone and microphone. The interchange for some time was very successful. There was one interruption, which was bridged over by the continued assiduity of Mr. Challen, who assisted the lecturer and before the meeting closed very good results were again attained. The Rev. A. D. Kininmont contributed one of his readings to the near and far audience. The microphone astonished everyone by its amazing powers. Some could not recognise the watch ticking at Lilydale, on account of its very loudness and unfamiliarity to their ears, and in consequence also of other sounds mixed up with it. More practised ears, however, discerned it".


The Telegraph Office was opened on 5 January 1876.

A test box at Malvern had significant responsibility for the Gippsland lines which either originated at Malvern or came from Oakleigh through that box at Malvern to Dandenong.

The office was issued with an oval rubber date stamp (RO1 - TO).

Used: 24 February 1960.

Size: 27 × 47 mm (e = 0.82).

Rated: RRRRR.

Number in the Census: 1.
Not elsewhere recorded.

24 February 1960.
Used on a delivery window envelope.

The office was issued with a circular rubber date stamp which was used with magenta ink.

Used: 18 May 1984.

Diameter: 37 mm.

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 2 (same date)

18 May 1984.

The Office was also issued with a rectangular rubber date stamp (RR1) with the only inscription apart from Malvern SE4 being VIC at the base.

Used on a telegram: 15 September 1948.

Size: 39 × 40 mm (approx).

Rated used on a telegram: RRR.

Number in the Census: 1.

15 September 1948.
Used on AW-DO-10B (45).

Top part of a telegram sent from Malvern East showing the $2.52 cost of transmission paid for in stamps.

Moonee Ponds.

A Telegraph Station was appears to have been opened at Moonee Ponds Railway Station (year not known at present). The Station Mistress in 1879 saved a possibly major loss of life due to her quick actions. The Argus of 21 June 1879 recounts the incident in which the Moonee Ponds Station Mistress performed heroically and instantly.

On 7 October 1887 "A deputation from the borough council of Essendon waited on the Postmaster-General and asked that a central post office and telegraph station should be erected on the public reserve, north of the Church of England, Moonee Ponds.

Mr. Derham said that he would provide in the next year's Estimates a sum sufficient for the erection of a post and telegraph station somewhere within the limits of the Moonee Ponds district, but he would not decide the site until an officer had inspected the locality and reported where the office should be placed".

On 20 October 1888, the North Melbourne Advertiser reported:

"Surely the Post and Telegraph Department never dreamt that they would be permitted to shuffle out of their obligations regarding the erection of a central post office at Moonee Ponds without some sort of remonstrance from the inhabitants of that place nor ever fancied that the exceedingly curt epistle, read at the recent meeting of the Borough Council, would be regarded as a satisfactory reply to the frequent reminders from the local Town Clerk as to Mr. Derham's promises of increased office accommodation at the Ponds and further facilities for the receipt and despatch of letters and telegrams.

The Departmental assurance, contained in the letter to the council, to the effect that the residents of the township are just as well served as they would be by a staff office, rather staggered the representatives of the ratepayers at their meeting on Monday evening. But when the latter had somewhat recovered from the shock caused by the audacious 'tarradiddle', a discussion took place which would have interested - perchance surprised - the Hon. the Postmaster General had he been there to hear. Councillor Taylor spoke of the Ministerial promise, made nearly two years since, to build a post and telegraph office in connection with the proposed courthouse, and he moved that a suitable reply be forwarded to the red-tape memorandum from Elizabeth Street. Councillor Pattison expressed surprise at any one person declaring that a building like the Moonee Ponds post office - which was full whenever two persons entered it, and 'crowded' any  time that three got in - was sufficient for the requirements of the district.

It appears to us, however, that the Postmaster General is altogether too lofty a personage to take notice of the letters written by Council's direction. The most the Essendon Council can expect from this very great man, in answer to their fortnightly appeals for consideration, is a curt note once every six months or so telling them not to bother. As it is high time the Minister was brought to his senses, we would advise councillors to cease letter writing and try the experiment of a deputation. The Minister is bound to make a note of a deputation. Letters from the council may not bore him, but a deputation from that body should prove more or less of a nuisance, and may even worry a Minister of the Crown.

Mr. Derham must he told what an important municipality Essendon is, and given clearly to understand that the populous town-hip of Moonee Ponds deserves a post office building capable of holding more than two adults at the same time".

By 1889, a decision still had not been made until the Department chose a site on the extreme west end of Puckle Street. A deputation of residents met to urge the decision to be reverse so that the new office might be in the main street (Mount Alexander Road) where it had been for the last 20 years.

A new Post Office opened at Moonee Ponds on 3 March 1952 and it was intended to erect offices with similar designs at Brunswick West, Ascot Vale and Footscray West.


Two rubber oval TELEGRAPH OFFICE date stamps were issued to Moonee Ponds.

  1. RO1 -TO in purple.

Size: 28 × 47 mm (e = 0.80).

Used: 27 April 1946.

Rated: RRR.


Moonee 1946
27 April 1946.

Used on AW-DO-10A (45).

  1. RO2-TO in orange-red.

Size: 32 × 51 mm (e = 0.78).

Used: 18 May 1942(?) - 30 November 1950.

Rated: RRR.

Moonee 1950
30 November 1950.

Used on AW-DO-10B (48).


A Post Office was established as Moorabbin with a change of name from South Brighton on 17 May 1909. A Telegraph Office was established soon after at the Post Office. Telegraph Offices had opened at East and South Brighton in July 1892.

In July 1909 the telegraph lines between Moorabbin and East St. Kilda were blown down in a storm and interrupted communications for several hours.

A rectangular horizontal TELEGRAPH rubber date stamp (RRH1-T) was issued to the Telegraph Office. It was used with both black and violet ink.

Size: 28 × 45 mm.

Use: 8 June 1955 to 12 November 1955.

Rated: RR.

Moor June
8 June 1955 in black.
Date not horizontal.

Used on AW-DO-10A (51).

Moor low
12 November 1955.
Date low.

Used on AW-GC-54B.

The variations in the format of the letters in the date and the placement of the date show that the date was a separate hand-stamp.

Hence after the rectangular TELEGRAPH imprint had been made, the date would then have been added.

11 November 1955.
Date moved to the left.

Used on AW-GC-54B.

12 November 1955.
Date is diagonal.

Used on AW-GS-54A.


11 November 1955.
Date inverted.

Used on AW-GC-54B.