South Australia.
Telegraph offices on the first line - 1856.


Adelaide Railway Station.

The Telegraph Office opened in 1856. It did not merge to become a Post & Telegraph Office until 1909.

The Telegraph operations at the station were closed on 25 January 1965 and transferred to
Hindley Street.


Adel Rail
Adelaide Railway Station in the 1860s.
Source: NLA B47794_13.
Adel RS
Adelaide Railway Station about 1870.
The Adelaide Railway Station used a squared circle date stamp on telegrams.

Used: 26 September 1907 to 6 March 1911.

Size: 27 27 mm.

Rated: RR.

Number in the Census: 2.


26 September 1907.
Used on SI-DO-2A.

6 March 1911.
Used on SI-DO-4.


A Telegraph Office was opened in 1856 on Port Road.

The earliest date for a Post Office is 1 January 1855.

A new building was opened on 2 October 1899.

The usual Commonwealth circular date stamp was issued to the office.

Used (on a telegram): 27 August 1942.

Diameter: 30 mm.

Rated (used on a telegram): RRR.

Number in the Census: 1.

27 August 1942.
Used on AW-DO-9Ha.


A Telegraph Office was opened at the Railway Station in 1856.



Although the first line went through Hindmarsh, no Telegraph Office was considered at that place in 1856. Later, questions were asked in the Parliament - on 21 June 1882 - as to "what steps have been taken with regard to the selection of a site and the erection of a Post Office and Telegraph Station at Hindmarsh"?


Largs Bay.

The Telegraph Office opened on 17 January 1883 (Gazetted on 1 February).

Usual squared circle date stamp.
24 December 1903.
Could pay the basic local telegram rate for a message of less than 16 words. Maybe for a telegram sending Christmas wishes (??).

Port Adelaide.

A Telegraph Office was opened at Port Adelade in 1856. It was one-roomed wooden building on the wharf.

In 1860, the Port Adelaide Court House was altered to become the Telegraph Station at a cost of £150.

A new Post Office was constructed in late 1867 and it was described as "one of the handsomest buildings in the municipality, and affording the accommodation required for the telegraphic business of the place".

The Adelaide Observer of 13 October 1866 observed:

Messrs. Tapson and Niesche, the contractors for the erection of the new Telegraph Station at Port Adelaide, have commenced to clear the ground for the foundations.

The site adjoins the new Post Office, the front being thrown back in a line with that establishment, and the building extending into the garden attached to tbe residence of the Collector of Customs — several fine trees and shrubs in which have been destroyed to make room for it. The old Court-House, too, is being demolished to make way for the new building, and the business of the Savings Bank, which was hitherto conducted in it has been removed to the Town Hall.

The new Telegraph Station will, when completed, be one of the most handsome edifices in the Port. It is to be in the Italian style, having a frontage of 57 feet, consisting of main building; 35 feet with wings on either side, 11 feet each. The height of the centre portion will be 30 feet 6 inches, and the wings 26 feet 6 inches.

The building is to be constructed of Dry Creek stone, with freestone moulded base and rusticated block quoins in cement.

The entrance will be in the left wing, under a pediment having an enriched arch over the doorway, supported on columns with enriched caps. The centre of the building will have three windows, each on the ground and first floors - the lower ones being surmounted by ornamented arches and the upper one slightly curved. The door and window dressings, string course, the brackets under the soffit, and the enrichments, all being in cement, tinted buff colour.

The Telegraph Office will occupy the ground-floor in front. The room will be 30 feet by 20, with a height of 16 feet 6 inches. At the rear will be the Stationmaster's offices and storeroom, and the front portion of the left wing will he the messengers' room. Behind the Telegraph Office will be a dining room, 20 feet by 15 feet, and a hall communicating by a door with the office. The private entrance will be on the right side of the building, and behind the messengers' room will be the entrance hall and staircase leading to the apartments above. In the upper floor of the centre there will be a drawing-room, 18 feet by 18 feet, sitting room, 18 feet by 11, and two good bedrooms, all 13 feet high. The upper portion of the wings will also be occupied by three smaller apartments. At the rear of the building, which has a depth of 40 feet, will be the kitchens, wash-house, &c., carried to a further depth of 32 feet.

The time allowed for the completion of the contract is eight months, but the contractor is of opinion that if no delay is occasioned by the difficulty of obtaining stone, that the building will be finished in about six months.


In the South Australian Register of 24 January 1871, it was however reported that "A meeting of the subscribers and friends of the Port Adelaide Institute was held on Friday evening, January 20, at the new reading-rooms, lately the Telegraph Office".

On 4 August 1877, the Minister of Agriculture stated in the House that "nothing would be gained by amalgamating the Post and Telegraph offices at Port Adelaide".

Telegraph Office date stamps.

Pt Adelaide 1879

SC3-TO: Telegraph Office
Port (Adelaide).
25 March 1878.
Used on a telegram form
Earliest recorded example for any Colony of a designated TELEGRAPH date stamp.


SC1: Telegraph Office Port.

Used in black: 2 November 1905.

Diameter: 28 mm.

Rated: RRRR.

Number in Census: 1.

,2 November 1905.
Used on telegram SI-DO-2.

Usual postal date stamps available to be used for telegrams. Port Adel 1906
4 September 1905.
Squared circle cancellation.
  Pt Adelaide 1945
SC1: Port Adelaide 2 July 1945.

Used on telegram of type
AW-DO-10C (42).

Port Adelaide Railway Station.

A Telegraph Office was opened at Port Adelaide Railway Station in 1856.

Pt Adel rail
Port Adelaide Railway Station 11 December 1902.
On 1/- brown thin postage.

Prestige Philately.

  Pt Adel Rail 1906
1 March 1907.
Squared circle date stamp.
1 March 1907.


Semaphore was an important centre for communications in the 1850s and 1860s. The Telegraph Office was established in 1856.

"On Wednesday, February 1, a deputation waited on the Postmaster-General, with a petition, signed by about 40 residents of the Semaphore, for the establishment of a Post Office at the latter place. Mr. Todd at once stated his readiness to accede to the wishes of the petitioners and promised that a Post Office should be established at an early date in connection with the Telegraph- Office now at the Semaphore. This will be a great convenience to the residents at the Semaphore and those in the habit of visiting there".
(South Australian Register 2 February 1871).

The 1881 Semaphore Telegraph Office with the Signal Station.
The Time Ball was housed on the tower behind (past the telegraph post).
The status of the Telegraph Station was changed to a Post and Telegraph Office on 6 March 1871.

The main Signal Station was also based at Semaphore where all ship movements were monitored. The Station also had a time ball to give an accurate record of time. For further details elsewhere.

A new Telegraph Office was constructed and opened in November 1881 having been included in the 1880 budget at a cost of £1,380.

A date stamp used before stamps were used to pre-pay telegram costs in South Australia but of a similar format to that which could of been used on telegram forms.

Semaphore 1879
26 August 1879.

SC1: Steel circular date stamp.

Used in black (on telegram): 28 June 1953.

Diameter: 31 mm.

Rated (on telegram): RRR,

Number in the Census (on telegram): 3.

28 June 1953.
Used on AW-DO-10C (50).