Western Australia.
Telegraph Offices - Perth suburban.


 

Aberdeen Street.

The Post & Telegraph Office was opened on 1 April 1898 upon the change of name from Perth North West.

The latter had been opened as a Post & Telegraph Office on 14 August 1894.

The Office was issued with an RO7 - P&TO oval date stamp about 1904.
Armadale.

A Post & Telegraph Office was opened on 1 September 1898.

Two formats of rubber oval date stamp were issued to the office.

A rubber oval POST & TELEGRAPH OFFICE date stamp
(RO6-P&TO):

Used in black: 1 July 1899.

Size: 27 × 44 mm (e = 0.79).

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 1.




1 July 1899.

Used in violet: 5 July 1899, 5 October 1899
and 12 February 1900.

Size: 27 × 44 mm (e = 0.79).

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 3.



5 October 1899.
 
Armadale
12 February 1900.
  1. A rubber oval TELEGRAPH OFFICE date stamp (RO2-TO):

Used in violet:

Size:

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 0.

 

Bassendean.

Was originally known as West Guilford and the change of name was gazetted in 1922.

A Receiving Office was opened at West Guilford on 15 January 1906 which was changed to an Administrative Office on 3 December 1906.

The Office was issued with two rubber Post & Telegraph Office date stamps:

1. Post & Telegraph date stamp (RO6-P&TO):

Used in violet: 11 (?) February 1928.

Size: 29 × 45 mm (e = 0.76).

Rated: RRRRR.

Number in the Census: 1.
(not recorded elsewhere).


11 February 1928.

Used on AB-DO-3D.
ACE Auctions July 2020, Lot 1150.

2. Post & Telegraph date stamp (RO7-P&TO):

Used in violet: 15 September 1934.

Size: 31 × 52 mm (e = 0.80).

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 3.
(not recorded elsewhere).

Bassendean
15 September 1934.

Used on AB-GCF-34A.
ACE Auction July 2018, Lot 961.
A second (no day) was in ACE Auction 12 July 2021 Lot 1139.

Bayswater.

A Receiver of Mail Bags was established at Bayswater on 1 January 1895. This was upgraded to a Post & Telegraph Office on 1 August 1898. In 1 September 1904, the Office was downgraded to an Allowance Office.

A rubber oval date stamp (RO2-P&TO) was issued to the Office for use with telegraphs:

Used in blue: 21 February 1905 (?).
If this date is true, the date stamp would have been used
after the transfer to being an Allowance Office.

Size: 29 × 45 mm (e = 0.76).

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 1.

 


21 February 1905(?).

Blackboy Hill.

A Post & Telegraph Office was opened at Blackboy Hill on 29 August 1914 and it was closed on 30 November 1918. It was again reopened on 1 March 1929 but renamed Greenmount Hill on 1 November 1932.

The site was used as a military training camp due the troop buildup of World War 1. In following years the camp was used as an isolation hospital for treating people with the Spanish flu and, during the 1930s, to accommodate unemployed relief workers.

Blackboy Hill was named after the famous and wonderful Australian native black boy plants - Xanthorrhoea preissii - which once dominated the area.

PS: See also Tit-Bit #7.

A rubber oval Post & Telegraph Office date stamp (RO7-P&TO) was issued to the office:

Used in blue: 30 October 1914 (about 2 months after opening).

Size: 25 × 48 mm (e = 0.85).

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 1.

Blackboy
30 October 1914 - about two months after the P&T Office opened.

ACE Stamp Auctions:
November 2010, Lot 597 and July 2018, Lot 886..

Brisbane Street.

Perth North, which had been opened as a Post & Telegraph Office on 14 August 1894, changed name on 1 April 1898 to Brisbane Street.

No date stamp is recorded for either office for use with telegraphs.

 

Claremont.

An

 
A rubber oval Telegraph Office date stamp (RO2-TO) was used at Claremont.

Used in violet: 1 March 1963.

Size: 29 × 49 mm (e = 0.81).

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 1 (not elsewhere recorded).


1 March 1963.
Used on AW-EC-2.
A rubber oval Telegraph Office date stamp (RO5-TO) was used at Claremont.

Used in violet: 27 July 1971 and on 13 March 1973.

Size: 29 × 45 mm (e = 0.76).

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 2 (not elsewhere recorded).

The triple oval format (RO5-TO) is the only known example of this format used for a date stamp for a Telegraph Office.


27 July 1971.
Used on AA-DO-13D.


An Office at the Claremont Showground was issued with two types of Telegraph date stamps:

  1. about 1905 - a RO6-TO Claremont Showground date stamp (rated RRRR);
  2. about 1920 - a RO7-P&TO Claremont Showground date stamp (rated RRRR);
 
Cottesloe.

A Receiving Office was opened at Cottlesloe in October 1894. It was upgraded to a Post & Telegraph Office on 22 November 1897.

At least five types of date stamps appear to have been issued to Cottesloe for telegram use:
  1. RO6 - P&TO.

Used in violet: 19 September 1904.

Size: 26 × 44 mm (e = 0.81).

Rating: RRR.

Number in the Census: 1.




19 September 1899.
Used on a Lands Department OHMS cover sent from Perth on 15 September 1899.
It finally reached the Dead Letter Office on 20 October 1899.
  1. RO7 - P&TO.
    Date has month before day and a stop after the day.

Used: 27 July 1909.

Size: 24 × 43 mm (e = 0.83).

Rating: RR.

Number in the Census: 1.


Cott 1909
27 July 1909.
  1. RO2 - P&TO.

Size: 31 × 52 mm (e = 0.80).

Used: 13 July 1944 to 12 September 1944 (possibly to 1959).

Rated: RR.

Number in the Census: 2.


Cottesloe 1940
12 September 1944.
Used on AW-DO-10D (43).
  1. RO7 - P&TO.

Used: 5 November 1931 to 2 January 1936 in either violet or blue.

Size: 26 × 44 mm (e = 0.81).

Rated: RRR.

Number in the Census: 1.


Cottesloe 1936
2 January 1936 - in blue.
Used on AB-DO-8F.
  1. RO7 - P&TO.
    Inner line is less scalloped and year extends beyond. Has a stop after Cottesloe (spans 18 mm).

Used in violet: 7 February 1938.

Size: 26 × 44 mm (e = 0.81).

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 1.


Cottle 1938
7 February 1938 - in violet.
Used on Social Telegram AB-GSF-36.

Guilford.

The Post & Telegraph Office is reported to have been opened on 23 December 1871. However, on 6 August 1873, the Perth Inquirer reported that "the new post and telegraph offices were opened on Saturday the 2nd instant. The building being close to the Court House, in the centre of the town, is much more convenient than formerly, and provides very suitable offices, and living-rooms for the postmaster. In addition to these improvements other arrangements now made will afford further benefits and facilities to the public". Maybe the December date relates to the official ceremony - or is incorrect.

A Post Office had previously been opened 22 February 1835.


Guilford Post & Telegraph Office about 1950.
Two rubber oval date stamps for use with telegraph matters are known to have been issued to Guilford:
  1. A rubber oval TELEGRAPH OFFICE date stamp (RO6-TO):

Used in violet: 23 December 1896.

Size: 26 × 42 mm (e = 0.79).

Rated: RRRR.

Number in Census: 1.


Guilford RO6
23 December 1896.
Used on WC-DO-4Ca with delivery envelope.
A rubber oval TELEGRAPH OFFICE date stamp (RO7-TO):

Used in blue: 18 October 1903.

Size: 30 × 49 mm (e = 0.79).

Rated: RRRR.

Number in Census: 1.
(Not recorded elsewhere).

 


19 October 1903.
On a Office of Titles OHMS cover sent from Perth on 5 September 1903 to Ellens Brook but arriving at the Dead Letter Office on30 October 1903.

Hay Street East.

Opened as a Post & Telegraph Office on 1 April 1898 when Perth East was renamed. The latter had been opened as a Post & Telegraph Office on 10 June 1895.

No date stamp is recorded for either office for use with telegraphs.

Leederville.

The Telegraph Office was opened on 11 September 1897.

Another Post & Telegraph Office was opened at West Leederville.

 

Six types of date stamps were issued for use with telegrams:


Leederville Post & Telegraph Office about 1940.

  1. RO7 - P&TO.

Used in blue: possibly 1908 to 8 June 1910.

Size: 25 × 49 mm (e = 0.86).

Rated: RRRR.


Leederville RO7
8 June 1910.
  1. RO6 - P&TO.

Used: about 1912.
Perhaps this format was continued to the 1940s but no size is known for the 1912 version to enable a comparison.

Rated: RRRR.

 

 

  1. RO4 - P&TO .

Used in blue: 7 June 1912 to 1917.
27 July 1912 and 23 December 1913 also known.

Size: 28 × 44 mm (e = 0.77).

Rated: RRR.

Number in the Census: 4.

 


Leederville 1912
7 June 1912.

Leederville 1913
17 July 1915.

Used in violet: 15 October 1915.

Size: 28 × 44 mm (e = 0.77).

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 1.



15 October 1915.

Used on the reverse side of a large registered cover sent from Apia, Samoa on 14 September 1915 to Subiaco and redirected to Leederville.

The postage charge was paid with six New Zealand stamps overprinted SAMOA in black (3) or red (3).

Used in red: 23 March 1918 and
12 June 1918.

Size: 28 × 44 mm (e = 0.77).

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 2.


12 June 1918.
 
Leder RO4 Front
23 March 1918.
Two strikes of an RO4-P&TO date stamp in red.

Provenance: Arthur Gray.
Mossgreen October 2016, Lot 263.

reverse
Reverse side of the above cover showing a third impression of the RO4-P&TO.
  1. RO6 - P&TO.

Used in violet : 30 March 1940 to
24 November 1943.

Size: 24 × 41 mm (e = 0.81).

Rated RRRR.

Leederville 1940
30 March 1940.

Used on AB-DU-8A.

Leederville 1943
24 November 1943.

Used on AB-DU-9Gb.

  1. RO2 - TO.

Used in violet: 3 August 1946
(only recorded example).

Size: 31 × 47 mm (e = 0.75).

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 1.


Leederville 1946
3 August 1946.
Used on AB-DU-10Ab (44).
 
  1. RRH1 - P&TO.

Used: 1975-83.

Rated: RRR.

   

Maylands.

The Official Post & Telegraph Office opened on
30 April 1910.


Maylands Post & Telegraph Office about 1940.
Four formats were used at Maylands for oval date stamps issued for telegraphs:
  1. RO4 - P&TO.

Used in violet: 11 November 1915 to 13 December 1915.

Size: 25 × 42 mm (e = 0.80).

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 2



Maylands 1915
11 November 1915.
Premier Auctions May 1916.


May 13 Dec
13 December 1915.

RO4 - P&TO.

Used in green: 21 July 1915.

Size: 25 × 42 mm (e = 0.80).

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 1.

 
  1. RO7 - P&TO.

Size: 37 × 43 mm (e = 0.51).

Used: about 1924

Rated: RRRR.

   
  1. RO4 - P&TO.

Size: 35 × 42 mm (e = 0.55).

Used: about 1945

Rated: RRRR.

   
  1. RO2 - P&T.

Size:

Used: 1975 to 1977.

Rated: RR.

   

Midland Junction (Helena Vale).

A Post Office was opened at Midland Junction on 1 May 1895. It was renamed Helena Vale in 1896. A Post & Telegraph Office was opened at Helena Vale on 12 April 1897 which then was renamed back to Midland Junction on 1 January 1901.


Midland Junction Post & Telegraph Office about 1910.
Two rubber date stamps were issued to the Offices - one under each name:
  1. At Helena Vale: A rubber oval Post and Telegraph Office (RO7-P&TO) date stamp.

Used:

Size:

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census:

 
  1. At Midland Junction: A rubber oval Post & Telegraph Office
    (RO6 - P&TO) date stamp.

Used in purple: December 1901, 25 March 1902
and 28 January 1905.

Size: 29 × 48 mm (e = 0.80).

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 3.

 



25 March 1902.

Used on a block of 8 2d yellow Swans
with watermark W Crown A and perf 14.


December 1901.
 
28 January 1905.
  1. At Midland Junction: A rubber oval Post & Telegraph Office
    (RO6 - P&TO) date stamp. This format has separation dots at each end.

Used in violet: 15 September 1934.

Size: 29 × 49 mm (e = 0.80).

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 1.


RO6 1935 detail
RO6 1934 form
Midland Junction RO6-P&TO on Congratulations Ornamental delivery form AB-GC-34A.
Mount Lawley.

A Post & Telegraph Office was opened in 1909.

 

 

It appears as if three formats for rubber oval date stamps were issued to the Mt. Lawley office:


Mount Lawley Post & Telegraph Office about 1950.
  1. an RO7-P&TO oval date stamp.
    Unusually has month then day.
    Letters are very round.

Used in violet: 17 September to 24 December 1927.

Size: 31 × 49 mm (e = 0.77).

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 3.



17 September 1927.
  Lawley Dec
24 December 1927.
  1. an RO2-TO used about 1944.

Size: 31 × 51 mm (e = 0.79).

Used: 12 April 1943 to 22 December 1944.

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 3.


1943
12 April 1943.

Used on AW-DO-9Gb.

 
1944
22 December 1944.

Used on AW-DO-10A (43).

  1. an RO2-T used about 1950.

Rated: RRRR.

 

Mundjong.

In the south east section of Suburban Perth, the location at the junction of the Rockingham-Jarrahdale rail line had previously been called Jarrahdale Junction. It than change name to Manjedal and then to Mundijong in about 1898.

A Post & Telegraph Office was opened in about 1897 but then downgraded progressively until it became an Allowance Office in 1906.

Two rubber oval date stamps appear to have been issued to the office for use with telegraphic matters:

1. A rubber oval RO6-P&T on the transfer from Manjedal.

No details known.

 

 
2. A rubber oval RO7-P&T.

Used in violet: 10 January 1905
(allegedly 1898-1906).

Size: 25 × 41 mm (e = 0.79).

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 1.


18 January 1905.

North Perth.

In the Legislative Assembly on Tuesday 31 July 1894, the Colonial Treasurer stated that Post and Telegraph Offices would be shortly established at North Perth and East Perth.

North Perth was established as an Allowance Office on 1 December 1902. In 1903, it became a Receiving Office located on Angove Street. It became an Official Office in October 1912. The date stamp shows clearly the Office was a Post & Telegraph Office before either of those designations.

Even so, it appears that planning for a Post Office really started in May 1905 when an architect - Michael Cavanagh - agreed to sell a block of land opposite the new North Perth Town Hall to the Post Master General’s Department. Despite that initiative, the Post-Master General was quoted in The West Australian in July 1909 maintaining that the creation of a Post Office for North Perth was not yet required:

“The suburb is certainly extending rapidly, but it is at present very scattered, and can, in my opinion, be better served by two or three allowance offices until more closely settled.”

In 1916, the North Perth Post Office and its attached postmaster/postmistress residence was finally constructed. Designed by architect Hillson Beasley, the new building cost £1,720.

It was considered in some sources that North Perth had been issued with a rubber oval date stamp for use with telegraph matters but no details of the design were previously recorded.

Used in violet: 15 March 1898.

Size: 25 × 42.5 mm (e = 0.81).

Rated: RRRRR.

Number in the Census: 1.



15 March 1898.
Only known example.

Palace Hotel.

The Palace Hotel was a three storey building constructed in 1897 on the corner of St Georges Terrace and William Street in Perth. It was described as being "... one of the most beautiful and elegant hotels in Australasia".

Its central position made it an important landmark in Perth. Many commercial travellers used the Palace Hotel as a base. The need for a communications centre was readily appreciated and a Post & Telegraph Office was opened almost immediately - on 8 July 1897.

A rubber oval date stamp (RO6-P&TO) was issued to the Office.

Used: 1900s

Size: ??

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 1 (part).



15 November 0?.
Nedlands.

No special date stamp for Telegraphs appears to have been issued to Nedlands.

 
South Perth.

The Post & Telegraph Office was opened on 7 November 1898 and was renamed Mends Street on 10 July 1939.

On 19 June 1900, the West Australian reported that:

"The progressive suburb of South Perth has attained such a decree of prosperity in the eyes of the Colonial Secretary and the other dignitaries controlling the Postal and Telegraph Department that it is to be improved and, it is to be hoped, benefited by the erection of a Post and Telegraph office.

As to the most convenient locality for the site of the new building, there is much diversity of opinion. Mr. Randell and his officers, however, have settled the matter in their own minds and the resultant effect is that today tenders are due for the erection of a building contiguous to the Mends Street jetty, the recreation reserve and the Zoological Gardens.

For some time the business of the department has been carried on in premises connected with the Windsor Hotel. Those of the residents whose domiciles are beyond the regulation one mile radius have suffered the extra charge for delivery of telegrams with a resignation born of the thought that the arrangement was but a temporary one. Wrathfully, they have declaimed against a permanent disability in the direction named, a disability which, they state, is but slight as compared with the fact that for the receipt of their letters they are forced to depend upon the good nature of a grocer in their midst who, it is averred, takes delivery and distributes the letters, etc. as they are called for.

They have urged upon the Colonial Secretary their claims for consideration and the erection of the new post office at a spot more centrally situated, but without avail - Mr. Randell declaring against them.

As a last protest they held a meeting last evening under the shelter of the verandah of a vacant shop near the Coode Street jetty and about 50 gentlemen assembled. Mr. Manning, the Chairman of the local Roads Board, conducted the meeting which was unanimously of the opinion that a last effort should be made to secure their object. It was asserted that the majority of the residents were located on the east side of the Zoological Gardens, and that, in addition, most of those residents at "The Point," in a spirit of fairness, agreed that what they were urging was but right and just. Much discussion as to the next move was indulged in, but it was eventually decided, in the words of one of the speakers, "to give Mr. Randell one more chance." Should he not avail himself of that chance and persist in the erection of the building on the site he has already decided upon, the oppositionists will, one of them declared, "jump over his head," and approach the Premier with a deputation armed with a petition. A deputation was appointed to this end".

 

Two types of rubber oval date stamp were issued to the South Perth Telegraph Office:
  1. a RO4 - P&TO.

Size: 28 × 43 mm (e = 0.76).

Usage: 29 September 1914 to 29 July 1915.

Rated: RRRR (not elsewhere recorded).



Sth Perth 1914
29 September 1914.


Sth Perth 1915
29 July 1915.
  1. a RO2 - T

Size:

Usage: issued about 1961.

Rated: RR.

 
Subiaco.

On 7th August 1897, the Western Australian reported that:

"Mr. H. B. Lefroy (the Minister for Education) has been informed by the Director of Public Works that arrangements can be made for the postponement of the erection of the permanent Post and Telegraph office at Subiaco till the school has been re-erected".

Nevertheless it seems that the Telegraph Office had been opened for business on 15 July 1897.

Three formats for date stamps for telegraph purposes are recorded:

  1. a rubber oval Post and Telegraph Office (RO7 - P&T:

Used in violet: 29 December 1898 and 17 May 1900.
Used in blue: 19 January 1899.

Size: 24 × 41 mm (e = 0.81).

Rated: RRRR.



29 December 1898 - used in violet.
Note: These two date stamps were both used on the same Land Titles OHMS cover from Perth to Subiaco but redirected to the Dead Letter Office 21 January 1899.
19 January 1899 - used in blue.
 
17 May 1900 - in violet.
  1. a rubber oval TELEGRAPH OFFICE (RO6 - TO):

Used: about 1905.

Size:

Rated: RRRR.

 
  1. a rubber oval Post and Telegraph Office (RO6 - P&TO) used in violet.

Used: 28 January 1954 to 29 December 1956.

Size: 30 × 55 mm (e = 0.84).

Rated: RRR.

Number in the Census: 6.


Subiaco 1954
28 January 1954.
Used on AW-DO-10BB (50).
  Subi 1956
29 December 1956.
Used on AW-GCF-59B.
Victoria Park.

A Post & Telegraph Office was opened on 1 December 1898. It was downgraded to an Allowance Office on 1 September 1904. It became an Official Office on 24 December 1912.

Six date stamps are recorded for use with telegraphs at Victoria Park. Four of these are rubber and two appear to be steel.

  1. RO2-P&TO.
    (lower inscription is Victoria Park, W.A.).

Used in violet: 30 May 1901.

Size: 25 × 41 mm (e = 0.79).

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 1.



30 May 1901.
  1. RO7-P&TO.

Used about 1912.

Rated: RRRR.

 
  1. RO6-P&TO
    (lower inscription is Victoria Park).

Used in violet 18 March 1939.

Size: 31 × 52 mm (e = 0.80).

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 1.



18 March 1939.
Used on Congratulations form GCF-34B.
  1. RO2-TO.
    (lower inscription is Victoria Park).

Used in violet: 22 October 1949.

Size: 30 × 57 mm (e = 0.85).

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 1.


Vic Park 1949
22 October 1949.
  1. SC1-TO.
    Known with large and small date lines.

Used: .

Diameter: 31 mm.

Rated: RR.

 
West Leederville.

A Post & Telegraph Office was opened but no details are known.

A rubber oval Post & Telegraph Office (RO7-P&TO) date stamp was issued to the office.

Used in violet: 26 May 1947.

Size: 31 × 53 mm (e = 0.81).

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 1.

West Leder 1947
26 May 1947.

Victoria Park East.

No details available.

 


Victoria Park East Post Office about 1950.