Western Australia.
Telegraph Offices in the Eastern region.

Black Flag

The Post & Telegraph Office was opened on 18 July 1896.

It was closed on 4 April 1907 but re-opened on 1 July 1907 and then closed 24 February 1908.

The Office was issued with an rubber oval TELEGRAPH OFFICE date stamp:



Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census:



The Telegraph Office was opened on 24 September 1894. The Post & Telegraph Office was then opened in 1902.

The office was issued with a steel circular TELEGRAPH OFFICE date stamp.

Used: 12 June 1906, 21 Dec 1912, 10 August 1914 and 27 Jan 1913.

Diameter: 30 mm.

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the census: 4.

10 August 1914.
Prestige June 2009 Lot 160.

The Post & Telegraph Office was opened on 12 April 1897.


Pleise St
Boulder (Pleise Street) about 1900 showing telegraph poles.
Mr. Dullory, Postmaster, Boulder.
Boulder 1
Boulder Post & Telegraph Office about 1900.
Boulder staff
The staff at the Boulder Post, Telegraph and Telephone Office in 1897.
Source: Souvenir of the Postal, Telegraph & Telephone Departments of Western Australia, Christmas 1896.
Boulder PO
Boulder Post & Telegraph Office about 1950.

The office was issued with four types of rubber oval office date stamp for use on telegrams. These were:

  1. RO6-P&TO (not elsewhere recorded).

Size: 29 × 48 mm.

Used: 1 April 1888 to 22 June 1904.

Rating: RRRR.

BOul 88
1 April 1888.
Boulder 1904
22 June 1904.
  1. RO3 - TO
    Includes W.A.

Size: 24(?) × 42 mm.


Rated RRRR.

Boulder 1914
31 March 1914.
Used on WI-DU-1.

  1. RO7-TO.


Boulder 1916
31 August 1916.

Used on WI-DU-2.

Rated RRRR.

  1. RO2-TO:

Used 1944-47.

  1. RO2-T with postcode.

Used: about 1976.

Broad Arrow.

Broad Arrow was established as the Kurawa Rceiving Office on 16 July 1896. The name was changed to Broad Arrow when the Post & Telegraph Office was established in 1898.

This office closed on 30 April 1971.


The office was issued with two types of rubber oval POST & TELEGRAPH OFFICE date stamps.

  1. RO2 - P&TO.

Used: 1901 to 1 November 1902

Size: 26 × 41 mm (e = 0.77).

Rated: RRR.

Number in the Census: 1.

Broad Arrow 1902
1 November 1902.
Used on WC-DO-5B.
  1. RO4 - P&TO.

Used: about 1913.


Rated: RRR.

Number in the Census:


The Post & Telegraph Office opened on 1 February 1896. Bulong is east of Coolgardie.

It was issued with rubber oval date stamps for Telegraph Office and Post & Telegraph Office.

Bulong 1899
Bulong Post & Telegraph Office.
3 July 1899.
RO7 - P&T in violet.

The Post & Telegraph Office opened on 22 July 1894.

The original location of the Post Office - opened in September 1893 - is not known.

Coolgardie 1894
The Coolgardie Post Office in which the Telegraph Office was temporarily located in 1894.
Source: Souvenir of the Postal, Telegraph & Telephone Departments of Western Australia, Christmas 1896.
A new building was immediately planned.

The first section of Coolgardie's Public Buildings which included the Post & Telegraph Office was completed on 3 May 1895 at a cost of £7,060.

There were mixed opinions of the design - the Coolgardie Miner of 31 March 1896 noting as follows: "We have with amused interest watched the erection of the ghastly structure, and frequently speculated as to the purpose for which it was erected. Externally and internally, it is conceivably ugly, atrociously so, and reminds us of a very bad cross between a second-rate stable and an ancient West Australian gaol. It does not possess one solitary redeeming feature, and if it went off to Woolgangie through the exertions of a willy-willy, or suddenly disappeared into the earth, there would be tumultuous rejoicing".

The building was altered several times over the next few years.

Coolgardie circa 1906.
From a postcard.

The Coolgadie Telegraph Office was issued with four types of rubber oval office date stamp which were used on telegrams between the early 1900s and the 1940s:

  1. RO4 - P&TO.

Used in violet: 27 May 1916.

Size: 29 × 43 mm (e = 0.74).

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 1.

27 May 1916.

Used on an unclaimed registerd cover sent from the Land Titles Office in Perth to Coolgardie and returned to the Dead Letter Office.

Other formats might be:
  • RO6 - TO used about 1904 (rated RRR);
  • RO7 - P&TO used 1911-14 (rated RRR);
  • RO7 - P&TO used 1940 (rated RR);

Coolgardie Railway Station.

The Telegraph Office at the Coolgardie Railway station was also issued with an oval date stamp The Office opened in September 1895 and closed on 19 May 1896.

The Western Mail of 13 March 1896 reported "The new railway station is rapidly approaching completion, and has a striking appearance. The best endeavours have apparently been made to make the extension and station buildings as convenient as possible. One omission, however, from the station is a verandah, which will be much required during both winter and summer. Let us hope that the Works Department will cause this error to be rectified, and the very necessary addition made before the completion of the contract.

It is a great pity that the much desired extension could not have been carried out without so great a disfigurement to our main street. I allude to the huge banks of earth standing in the railway yard, obstructing the view and proving decidedly unsightily. From a first view, the station building presents a rather a pretty and inviting appearance, certainly much more so than the old shanty that does sarvice as a station at the present time, and which I feel has been the cause of so much adverse criticism on the town, giving visitors at once a bad impression".

There are five recorded examples of the date stamp RO6 - P&TO - all used in early 1896 (rated RRRR) before the opening of the Railway Station.

Coolgardie Railway Post & Telegraph Office.
2 January 1896.

Prestige Philately August 2010 Lot 506.

Cool rail 1
Coolgardie Railway Post & Telegraph Office.
9 January 1896.

Previously considered that only this part strike existed.

Cool RS Feb 96 Coolgardie Railway Post & Telegraph Office.
5 February 1896.

Double rate envelope registered to Southern Cross.

Spink 19 May 2015, Vestey Collection Lot 485.

Cool oval 3 stamps
Coolgardie Railway Post & Telegraph Office.
4 March 1896.

Prestige Philately August 2011 Lot 535.

Cool Rail Jan
Coolgardie Railway Post & Telegraph Office.
5 March 1896.

Prestige Philately December 2010 Lot 542.


Just east of Northam.

The Office opened as a Receiving Office on 1 July 1902 and became an Official Office on 1 July 1911.

The Office was issued with a RO4-P&TO date stamp which was used in blue and in green:

Used in blue: 12 February 1915.

Size: 25 × 43 mm (e = 0.81).

Rating: RRRR.

No. in the Census: 1.

Cunderdin 1915
12 February 1915.

Used in green: 18 October 1915.

Size: 25 × 43 mm (e = 0.81).

Rating: RRRR.

No. in the Census: 1.


18 October 1915.

Located between Southern Cross and Coolgardie.

The Post & Telegraph Office opened in 1902.

Two RO6-P&TO date stamps were issued to the office for use with Telegraph activities and used in black:
  1. has WA at base.

Size: 26 × 48 mm (e = 0.84).

Use: 15 December 1905 (only recorded example).

Rating: RRRR.

15 December 1905.
Used on a postcard from New Zealand to Kalgoorlie.
  1. has WA at base.


Use: about 1931-33.

Rating: RRRR.



The Post & Telegraph Office opened on 26 November 1895 when 90 Mile changed name to Goongarrie.

The Telegraph Office was issued with two rubber oval date stamps for telegraph use:

1. RO2 - TO used in violet;

2. RO6 - TO used in violet.

Both are rated RRRR.


Goongarrie 1
Goongarrie Telegraph Office.
5 March 1896.
RO6 - TO.

Stars at both ends.

Goongarrie 2
Goongarrie Telegraph Office.
14 May 189?.
RO6 - TO.

Stars at both ends.


The Telegraph Office opened between 1903 and 1915.

Gwalia is located just below Leonora (see article below).

A rubber oval date stamp (RO4-P&TO) was used at the office about 1915.

Size: 25 × 42 mm (e = 0.80).
Rated: RRRR.

Only one recorded use.

12 May 1915.
Used on the flap of a OHMS registered envelope sent
from Perth to Gwalia on 10 May 1915 but unclaimed
and returned to Land Titles Office on 16 June 1915.

Kalgoorlie Miner 31 July 1902:

The recent visit of the Surveyor-General has been the means of arousing keen interest in the matter of a townsite here but, had the residents taken up the matter earlier and appointed representatives to meet the gentleman in question, it would have been more to their credit and they would have stood a much better chance of getting what they desire.

True, Messrs. Dockendorf, Alderdice, and Mowat - members of the progress commmitte - did wait on the Surveyor General, but as they had practically nothing definite in the way of resolutions from the residents and were not even unanimous on the matter themselves, they could hardly be expected to make a good impression.

Mr. Johnstone was practically left to the tender mercies of the Leonoraites, who naturally did their level best to convince him that it gave the Gwalia residents no end of pleasure to trudge five miles for their letters or for a draught of fusel oil or anthing else that cannot be obtained nearer town.

Under present conditons it would certainly be a big knock to Leonora if a townsite was granted to Gwalia. If the Tower Hill line and the shows north of Leonora develop up to expectations, Leonora could afford to lose the bulk of the Gwalia trade. The ?? copic have raised a great cry about vested interest, but that is a term that fairly stinks as far as the mining community is concerned and threatens to eventually kill the goose that lays the golden eggs, a subject that was ably dealt with in a recent article in the Kalgoorlie Miner.

However, it does not follow that because the fields are fleeced so shamefully to build up the farming and other coastal industries, the people of Gwalia are to quietly submit to being taxed and placed to no end of inconvenience for the sake of a few townspeople. The extension of the Leonora boundaries so as to take in about a mile or two of country between Leonora and Gwalia has already caused trouble, to prospectors, and it would be a very short-sighted policy to have residential blocks on what is known to be auriferous ground.

The Sons of Gwalia Company hold two 24-acre leases north of the Rochester- Gwalia and, although the Gwalia lode has not been traced further north than the Rochester, it is only reasonable to suppose that the two leases mentioned will be worked some day. At present they are held by permission to concentrate the labor on the main leases. The Gwalia residents, or at least a large number of them, would be sorry to see Leonora "go bung'' and therefore are prepared to make some sacrifice for the sake of those who have spent their money in making the town what it is.

There is little doubt that the lack of postal facilities is largely the cause of the agitation for a townsite at Gwalia and if post, telegraph, and money order offices were established, in all probability the agitation would soon die a natural death. A matter, however, which has to be settled is the question of a hotel and, on August 2, the residents are requested to say whether they are in favor of a license at Gwalia Block or a license near the A. W.A. Hall to be sold to the highest bidder, or a license near the hall to be controlled by the municipality. Gwalia offers an exceptional opportunity to test the idea of State monopoly of the liquor trade, and the advocates of that principle expect a majority on Saturday.

Attention has frequently been drawn to the failure of the officials to station police here, although they promised to do so months ago. If the department are only waiting for another outrage to be committed probably the police will be sent along shortly for a few nights since three suspicious looking individuals, said to be armed with revolvers, were surprised while apparently trying to force an entrance into the local railway station.

The concert in aid of the A.W.A. Hall building fund promises to be a great success. The committee have arranged a first-class programme, the performers including Miss Olive Sharpe of Menzies.


The Post & Telegraph Office was established with the name of Kalgoorlie on 21 August 1894. Previously, a Post Office with the name of Hannans had been opened on 11 February 1894 but it changed name to Kalgoorlie on 18 June 1894.

In September 1895, tenders were called for the construction of a "wood and iron" Post & Telegraph Office at Kalgoorlie.

Kalgoorlie 1907
The first Post & Telegraph Office in Kalgoorlie - as shown by the sign above the men.

Hannan St
Hannan Street, Kalgoorlie showing the extensive use of telegraph wires.
The Post & Telegraph Office can be seen to the left of centre.

Kalgoorlie circa 1915. The new "wood and iron" building.

Three rubber oval date stamps appear to have been issued to the Kalgoorlie Telegraph Office:

  1. a RO2-P&TO used in violet about 1899.

Size: 26 × 41 mm (e = 0.77).

Rated: RRRR.


Two strikes in violet of the RO2-P&TO date stamp.
7 September 1899.
  1. a RO2 - TO used in red about 1903.

Size: 26 × 54 mm (e = 0.88).
Rated: RRRR (only one example recorded).

Kalgoorlie 1902
29 June 1903.
Used on WI-DO-1.
  1. A RO6-PandTO used in red about 1903.

Size: 29 × 49 mm(e = 0.81).
Rated: RRRR (only one recorded).

Kal RO6
4 September 1903.
A 28 mm diameter steel date stamp inscribed TELEGRAPH OFFICE with KALGOORLIE W.A. at the base was issued with recorded use from 19 October 1927 to 8 July 1937
(Rated: RRR).

A steel TELEGRAPHS date stamp has also been noted as being used in 1911 but it has not been seen (diameter 28 mm and rated RRRR).

Kal 28
20 April 1928.
Kal 1931
5 February 1931.
Kalgoorlie 1937
28 June 1937.

A very rare date stamp is from North Kalgoorlie but with NORTH removed.

That Post Office had operated in Ward Street and then in Campbell but closed on 21 June 1920. The date stamp had been used from 6 June 1906.

The 28 mm date stamp is known only on two early telegrams (Rated RRRR).

Kal no nth
Kalgoorlie with North removed.
11 May 1927.

Used on AE-DO-1Eb (printed on the scarce brown paper instead of green). Also used on AE-DO-1Ea but it is a very snudged example.



The Post & Telegraph Office opened at Laverton on 13 August 1899.

Two rubber oval date stamps were issued to the Telegraph Office at Laverton for use with telegraph business. They were used concurrently.

  1. a rubber oval date stamp (RO2-TS).
    The inscription of TELEGRAPH STATION is rare - Port Hedland being the only other station to use this inscription.

Used in violet: June/July 1900.

Size: 25 × 49 mm (e = 0.86).

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 3.

Laverton 1900
2? June 1900.


Laverton 1903
10 July 1900.
ACE Stamp Auctions, December 2012.
Laverton July 21
21 July 1900.
Spink Sale: 21 April 2017 in Lot 2143.
  1. a rubber oval date stamp (RO2-P&TO).
    The inscription is Post & Telegraph Office.
Used: 17 - 19 July 1900.

Size: 26 × 41 mm (e = 0.77).

Rated: RRRR.

Number in Census: 2.

Laverton No 2
17 July 1900 (earliest recorded date).
  Laverton post tele
19 July 1900 (latest recorded date).
(Mount) Leonora.

The Telegraph Office opened at Mt. Leonora on 22 October 1897 together with the Post Office.

On 10 July 1908, the name changed to Leonora.

On 7 April 1899, a deputation from the town waited on the Premier. They had three requests:

  1. the appointment of a Telegraph Messenger;
  2. the establishment of a public school;
  3. the appointment of a Mining Registrar.
Leonora P&T
Leonora P&T in 1905.
Kalgoorlie Western Argus, 13 June 1905.
Five formats for the oval date stamps issued to the Mount Leonora Telegraph Office are known. The first date stamps were inscribed Mount Leonora.

All had the inscription Post & Telegraph Office:

  1. RO6 - P&TO.

Used between 1897 and 18 October 1899.

Size: 27 × 44 mm (e = 0.79).

Rated RRRR.

Number in the Census: 3.

Mt Leon Mar 99
10 March 1899.
Also recorded on 21 June 1899
(Mossgreen, August 2017).
Leonora 1899
18 October 1899.
  1. RO2 - P&TO.

Used: 17 January 1902.

Size: 27 × 41 mm (e = 0.75).

Rating: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 1.

Leonora 1903
17 January 1902.
Used on an Avis de Réception form.

RO7 - P&TO.

Used about 1904-05.


RO7 - P&TO.

Used about 1908.


RO7 - P&TO.
Has MOUNT removed.

Used about 1914.


The Mount Leonora area was very rich. Crushing had started at the Sons of Gwalia mine on 1 May 1896 and, by 9 September 1897, 2,l51 tons had yielded 3,456 oz of gold.

An interesting article appeared in The Evening Star (Boulder) on 3 September 1908:

For the Leonora electorate the nominations of Messrs. Semken, Gourlev, Carr and J. Jones were received. The nomination of Julian Stuart was invalid.

He telegraphed his nomination from Leonora shortly after 10 o'clock this morning which did not reach the returning officer at Malcolm at the closing hour of nominations.

The West Australian of 27 November 1908 reported:

THE LEONORA ELECTION. SUSPENDED OFFICIALS REINSTATED. Mr. Barwick, the postmaster and Mr. Toomey, telegraph operator, who have been under suspension for nearly two months in connection with an alleged delay in the transmission of Mr. Julian Stuart's nomination as a candidate for Parliament at the recent elections, have, after a thorough investigation, been reinstated. Both officers resumed duty to-day.


Menzies lies 92 miles north-west of Kalgoorlie and was the main town of the North Coolgardie goldfields. It was discovered in 1894 by Mr. I. R. Menzies. In the mid 1890s, Menzies was the terminus of the railway line.

In 1896, there was a population of about 2,000 people but it would soon cater to over 6,000 people living within 2 mile radius. The town had 10 hotels, four churches and thre banks.

Tenders for the Post & Telegraph Office were called in October 1895. The telegraph line had reached Menzies by November 1896 and the Post & Telegraph office was nearing completion.

Unfortunately, in March 1896 Mr Jackson, an operator in the Menzies telegraph office, died from fever. He had arrived in Menzies on 29 January and developed fever in early March. Two other operators from the same office, Messrs Shaw and Thornton, had to be taken to the Coolgardie hospital suffering from the same disease.

On 11 August, 1896, an officer of the Telegraph Department arrived to install duplex instruments at the telegraph office.

By 1897, there were 5 main gold mines (Lady Shenton (producing 24,237 ozs of gold), Queensland Menzies (16, 138 ozs), Menzies Gold Reefs (7, 019 ozs), Menzies Consolidated (6, 119) and Florence (706 ozs).

Menzies Post & Telegraph Office about 1896.
Source: Souvenir of the Postal, Telegraph & Telephone Departments
of Western Australia, Christmas 1896.

Menzies staff
Staff at Menzies about 1894.
Source: Souvenir of the Postal, Telegraph & Telephone Departments
of Western Australia, Christmas 1896.

Three oval date stamps were issued for Telegraph use at Menzies:

  • an RO6 - P&T used in violet;
  • an RO6 - TO perhaps in two different fomats.
Menzies RO6 P&TO
Post & Telegraph Office
(RO6 - P&TO).
Used about 1904.
Rated RRRR.
Telegraph Office (RO6 - TO).
Used about 1905.

Rated RRRR.

Perhaps two different formats.

Menzies 600 ACE Stamp Auctions November 2013 Lot 963. Lady Shenton Hotel cover sent from Menzies to Hobart,Tasmania.
5 September 1904.

Has two complete strikes of the Post & Telegraph Office oval date stamp (RO6 - P&TO).
See detail elsewhere.

Size: 26 × 45 mm.
Rated: RRRR.

Mount Malcolm.

The Telegraph Office was opened on or about 19 July 1897.

Two date stamps were issued for Telegraph use at Mount Malcolm:

  • Telegraph Office (RO6 - TO) used in 1897 in blue and violet - rated RRRR;
  • Post & Telegraph Office (RO7 - P&T) about 1913 and used in blue - rated RRRR.
Mt Mal 1
Mt. Malcolm Telegraph Office.
19 August 1897.
RO6 - TO.

Used in blue.

Mt Mal 2
Mt. Malcolm Telegraph Office.
15 December 1897.
RO6 - TO.

Used in violet (not previously recorded).
Prestige Philately November 2006, Lot 717.

On 7 March 1896, the Kalgoorlie Miner reported that "Further results of crushings from the Little Wonder are to hand. The mine is situated about 15 miles from Doyles' Well, near Mount Malcolm. The first crushing of half a ton from the surface yielded 970 ounces of gold. A second crushing of 8cwt from the 70ft level gave 423 oz, and a third crushing from the 90ft level of 23cwt returned 1310 oz. The last crushing, which was from the 160 ft level, gave 250 oz from 48 cwt. Mount Malcolm is situated half-way between Ninety Mile and Lake Darlot or Lake Carey".

On 19 March 1897, the Daily News reported that "A public meeting, attended by 700 persons in and around Mt. Malcolm, was held in front of the Mt. Malcolm Hotel in Star Street on Monday evening the 15th March ... (amongst other matters, the meeting urged) that the Government erect and open a Post and Telegraph office forthwith and that a bi-weekly mail service be established at once to this township". It appears that the Telegraph Office was opened on or about 19 July 1897.


The Post & Telegraph Office was established on 7 May 1896 - about three nonths after the Post Office had been opened.

There was no date stamp designed expressly for telegrams.

Norseman 1909
Premier Auctions.


A RMB was opened at Paddington in November 1896 and this was converted to a Post & Telegraph Office on 15 Novemner 1897. The Office was closed on 30 November 1911.

The gold mine was located about half way between Kalgoorlie and Menzies.

Paddington Post & Telegraph Station.
Unknown date.
RO2 - P&TO in violet.


The Telegraph Office opened on 18 October 1896.

A single date stamp was issued for use with telegraphs:

RO2 - P&TO used in black.

Widgiemooltha Post & Telegraph Office.
16 October ??
RO2 - P&TO.

Size: 29 × 45 mm (e = 0.76).

Rated: RRRR.