Victoria.
Telegraph Offices on the Southern Coast line.


Three of the Telegraph Offices on the Southern Coast line - Williamstown, Geelong and Queenscliff were also on the first Victorian telegraph line and so are discussed in their respective entries there.

The following Telegraph Offices are included on this page:

Altona Geelong Highton Newton Queenscliff Williamstown

 

Altona.

The Office opened as a Receiving Office on 14 January 1918 and was reclassified as a Post Office about 1924.

Two rubber oval TELEGRAPH OFFICE (RO2-TO) date stamp were issued to the office.
  1. RO2-TO.

Used: 6 May 1982 to 21 April 1983.

Size: 28 × 44 mm (e = 0.77).

Rated: RRRR.

Altona 1982
6 May 1982 (earliest recorded date).
  1. RO2-TO.

Used: 13 August 1985 to 20 February 1987.

Size: 37 × 57½ mm (e = 0.77).

Rated: RRR.

 

Altona
13 August 1985 (earliest recorded date).

Highton.

The Telegraph Office opened

The Post Office had opened on 1 December 1864.

 

The Telegraph Office was issued with a T. O. Highton date stamp:
  1. complete with T.O.

Used: 23 June 1917 to 17 May 1941;

Diameter: 28 mm.

Rated: R.

Highton 1929
7 February 1929.

 

 
Cover with T.O. Highton date stamp of 7 July 1917.

Addressed to Private Higgins at Macleod/ Mont Park.

In 1917, Mont Park was a Military Hospital at the Macleod Military Camp but it later became a lunatic asylum.

Very early use of the date stamp.

Highton Higgins
Provenance: Arthur Gray.
    T. O. removed:

Used: 25 June 1945 to 1 February 1958.

Rated: R.

Highton 1955
23 May 1956.
 

Newton.

Newton is very close to Geelong. It also contains Chilwell. It is not connected to Newton-Scarsdale near Ballarat.

As the telegraph lines to the Southern Coast were being constructed, a test box was established at Newton. Hence about the 1890s, a Telegraph Office was also opened at Newton.

The Telegraph Office was issued with a T.O. Newton:

Used: 31 July 1913 to
23 August 1937.

Diameter: 28 mm.

Rated: RR.

Number in the Census: 3.

 


1 September 1913
(early usage).

9 August 1926.

30 March 1932.