Queensland:
Telegraph Offices on the East Coast line via Hawkwood.


The Telegraph Offices included here are those approximately on the line from Dalby to Rockhamption via Hawkwood and then all stations north to Cardwell.

Telegraph Offices on the coast from Brisbane via Maryborough to Rockhampton are included elsewhere.

Banana.

The Telegraph Office was opened on 4 January 1865. It was also designated as a Repairing station.

In 1880, 690 messages were sent from Banana including 99 OHMS messages.

The staff consisted of one line Repairer.

Banana
Banana P&T Office 1910 with the Westwood to Camboon Stage Coach outside.
  Banana
Banana unframed date stamp.
13 March 1901.
Bowen.

The Telegraph Office was opened on 20 October 1866. The Post Office had been established on 1 April 1861 (as Port Denison) but the name was changed in 1865. A new Office was erected in 1869.

During the early part of the 1870s, Bowen became the main repeating centre for the lines to the north. In 1880, 6,189 messages were sent including 1,081 OHMS messages. The staff consisted of one Postmaster, 7 operators, a line repairer and a clerical assistant.

Bowen
Bowen P & T Office (circa 1920).
In 1886, the Queensland Figaro published an article describing the staff of the Telegraph Office in "Sleepy Hollow". BowenPO 1930s
Bowen Post & Telegraph Office about 1930.
A recent discovery shows an oval date stamp had been issued to the Bowen Office with the top inscription being POST AND TELEGRAPH DEPARTMENT. Its format is type 3 (BO3) with an outer and an inner oval. Bowen

Bowen Post and Telegraph Department oval.
BO3-P&TD.

18 April 1905.

Only known example.

Cardwell.

The Telegraph Office opened on 3 January 1870.

In 1880, 2,185 messages were sent including 469 OHMS messages. The staff consisted of one line repairer.

 

 
Dalby.

The Telegraph Office opened on16 January 1863. The Post Office was originally established on the Darling Downs as Myall Creek on 1 August 1854 by New South Wales in the Moreton Bay District. It changed its name to Dalby about 1858 before being transferred to Queensland on 1 December 1859.

 

Dalby
Dalby with P&T Office on left. Taken about 1910.
Source: Australian National Archives J2879 QTH 117.
In 1880, 5,770 messages were sent including 432 OHMS messages. The staff of the Telegraph section consisted of one Electric Telegraph Station Master, one line repairer, one clerical assistant and one messenger. Dalby
Postcard showing the Dalby P&T Office.
Printed by the Intelligence and Tourist Bureau.

Has a printed note on the reverse side:
"The average to Credit of each Depositor in Queensland Banks
is higher than in any other State".

Durah.

Telegraph Office opened on 4 January 1865. It was the first station to be opened during the construction of the line from Dalby to Taroom.

The Office closed on 31 August 1880.

 

Durah oval
A rare ELECTRIC TELEGRAPH OFFICE oval date stamp of Durah.
No date.
Only known example.

Size: 26 × 42 mm (e = 0.78)
Rated: RRRR.

Gayndah.

Gayndah was originally part of NSW when the Post Office was opened on 1 January 1850 and the office was issued with Barred Numeral 86. The transfer to Queensland occurred on 1 December 1859.

The telegraph line from Maryborough to Hawkwood via Gayndah was completed by the end of 1864.

In 1880, 1,847 messages were sent including 208 OHMS messages. The staff consisted of an Electric Telegraph Station Master and a line repairer.

In December 1870, during a thunderstorm, a bolt of lightning struck the line, shattered three posts, entered the office and fused six yards of insulated wire - throwing the melted gutta percha against the opposite wall, a distance of twenty two feet. Both leading wires outside the office were completely consumed and fell to the ground in a shower of brilliant sparks. Little damage, however was done to the instruments beyond a slight injury to the relay which was repaired by the Station Master the same evening.

Gayndah
Gayndah RS
Gayndah Railway Station.
25 April 1917.
Diameter: 26 mm.
Hawkwood.

Hawkwood was a repeating station.

A new building was opened in 1880.

In 1880, 434 messages beginning at Hawkwood were sent including 16 OHMS messages. The telegraph staff consisted of an Electric Telegraph Station Master and two line repairers.

 

 

Hidden Valley.

Situated just below Yeppoon, the Telegraph Office was opened

 
A date stamp was issued to Hidden Valley with the prefix T.O.

It was used from 24 November 1945 to
24 February 1959.

Diameter: 30 mm.

Rated: RRR.
Dell type 5.

 

HV-1954
24 March 1954.
HV_1959
24 February 1959.

At some time during the early 1960s, the date stamp for Hidden Valley had the prefix TO removed.
Used from 18 November 1964 and
to 15 March 1967.

Rated: Scarce.
Dell type 5x.

 
Mackay.

The Telegraph Office was opened on 1 August 1863.

In 1880, 12,854 messages were sent including 823 OHMS messages. The telegraph staff consisted of an Electric Telegraph Station Master, an operator, a line repairer and a clerical assistant.

In March 1883, there is a reference in the South Australian Register that the new Post Office was nearing completion and that it would be supplemented by a Telegraph Office.

Mackay 1890
Mackay P & T office. The new building shown was opened in 1885.
Source: NLA J2879 QTH176.


Mackay poles
Telephone lines were added to the telegraph poles outside the P & T office about 1920.

No special date stamp for use with telegraph work appears to have been issued at Mackay. An oval date stamp (RO3 - PO) was however issued to the Post Office. Perhaps that date stamp was used for telegram work - a possibioity suggested by the block of 6 at the right.

The block paid 1/- which was a common charge for sending a telegram to another station in Queensland except the GPO at Brisbane.

The format of this date stamp is similar to that used at Wolloongabba.


13 August 1907.
A SEND A TELEGRAM slogan cancellation was used between
7 April 1938 and 24 November 1938.
Mackay LRD
24 November 1938.

Nangwee.

The office was opened in ??.

Nangwee is south of Dalby and Bowenville which are on the first line from Toowoomba to Dalby.

Nangwee
Nangwee Electric Telegraph Office.
No date - archival strike.

Size: 26 mm × 39 mm (e = 0.75).

Provenance: Carl Burnett, Johnstone.

Rockhampton.

The Telegraph Office was opened on 4 January 1865. The Post Office had been established on 1 April 1858 by New South Wales in the Moreton Bay District before being transferred to Queensland on 1 December 1859.

In 1880, 36,351 messages were sent including 2,835 OHMS messages. The telegraph staff consisted of an Electric Telegraph Station Master, 9 operators, 1 line repairer, 4 clerical assistants and 3 messengers.

Rock photo
The "new" Rockhampton Post & Telegraph Office.

The Bulletin of 5 June 1866 reported "The new clock for the front of the tower dividing the Electric Telegraph Office from the Post Office, arrived by the Leichardt from Brisbane. The dial plate was fixed in the circular hole prepared for it yesterday afternoon. The diameter of the dial measures three feet six inches and it is, by six inches, larger than any clock in the colony. The numbers and portions of the hands are gilt over a black ground; the clock is the manufacture of Mr. Cochran of Brisbane. Today it will be in going order, and will be set to the Rockhampton time".

On 9 April 1883 a new Telegraph office was opened.

See also http://www.cqhistory.com/wiki/pmwiki.php/Institutions/
RockhamptonPostAndTelegraphServices

 

Rocky East St
East Street in Rockhampton circa 1910 showing the Post Office tower.

 Date stamps for Rockhampton.

There are five formats for date stamps used at Rockhampton.

  1. Electric Telegraph Office Oval date stamp (BO3-ETO).

This format is unique in that it has the crown outside of the ellipses.

Used: 20 December 1902 to 5 January 1903.

Size: 27 × 35 mm

Rated: RRR.

Number in Census: 3.


20 December 1902.
 
 
5 January 1903.
Status Auctions, January (Lot 1630) to October 2011.
Rockhampton oval
  1. Steel circle Telegraph Office/ Rockhampton (SC1-TO).
    Has round dots at sides.
    Font is 3 mm high but thin.

Used: 3 December 1914 to 5 May 1936.

Diameter: 25 mm.

Rated: R.

Number in Census: 10+.

Dec 3
3 December 1914.

Rock 1900
21 December 1914.

  1. Steel circle Telegraph Office/Rockhampton.
    Has 1 mm arcs at the sides.

Used: 14 December 1931.

Diameter: 29 mm.

Rated: RRR.

Number in Census: 3.

Rock 1931 Roo
14 December 1931.
 
  1. Telegraph Office Rockhampton/Qld.

Used: 7 February 1967.

Diameter: 30 mm.
Font is 3 mm high but thin.

Rated: RRRR.

Number in Census: 1.

Rockhampton 1967
7 February 1967.
Unrecorded by Smithies.

 

  1. Unframed rectangular rubber date stamp (RRH0-Rockhampton).

Used: 13 March 1978.

Size: 16 × 38 mm.

Rated: RRRR.

Number in Census: 1.

Rockhampton 1978
13 March 1978.
Used on AA-DO-13D.
 
St. Lawrence.

The Telegraph Office opened on 10 March 1865 with the Post Office changing name from Waverley.

In February 1874, a severe storm hit the region. The Post and Telegraph line was blown away with Mr. Ahern escaping with only the instruments. The Court House, Custom House, two hotels and miles of telegraph posts were all blown away. Sheets of galvanised iron were blown up to three miles away. The aftermath was described as "St. Lawrence presents a wreck which beggars description".

A new Telegraph Office was completed in January 1878.

A steel oval date stamp (SO3-ETO) was available
at the St. Lawrence Electric Telegraph Office.

Used: no example has been recorded of its use on a telegram or cover.
Only this Archival strike is recorded.

Size: 29.5 × 45 mm (e = 0.76).

Rated: RRRRR.

Number in Census: 1.

A very rare page of the archival strikes for St. Lawrence is shown elsewhere.

St Lawrence
Possibly used in January 1898.
Townsville.

The Telegraph Office opened on 15 March 1869. Tenders fo a new Telegraph Office were announced in the Gazette of 16 November 1878.

In 1880, 25,693 messages were sent including 2,437 OHMS messages. The telegraph staff consisted of an Electric Telegraph Station Master, 2 operators, 1 line repairer, 1 clerical assistants and 3 messengers.

In August 1902, "some persons stole the telegraph instruments from the office at Townsville and threw them into Ross Creek where they were found in the mud".

In 1914, a coastal radio station mast was built in South Townsville from materials taken from Germans in Bitapaka, New Britain. It was demolished in 1948.

On 27 February 1877 "the first conversation by telephone between the Townsville telegraph office and Charters Towers was carried on at the local telegraph office. The words came through clearly and distinctly but, being on the same wire as that used for ordinary telegraph business, the ticking of the telegraph instrument could be discerned".

Townsville First ET
Townsville's first Electric Telegraph Office.
Townsville
Townsville Post and Telegraph Office.
Townsville Flinders StTownsville Post and Telegraph Office (on left) and Flinders Street.

Datestamps for Townsville.

Electric Telegraph Office/
Townsville.

Three different formats and sizes.

Townsville type 3
Townsville Electric Telegraph Office in violet.
BO7-ETO.
No date.
Size: 27 × 44 mm (e = 0.79).

Provenance: Dave Elsmore.

 

Format: 2a
Type: BO3 - ETO.

Number in the Census: 1 of each Crown width.


Townsville Electric Telegraph Office.
BO3-ETO.
No date.
Size: 29 × 45 mm (e = 0.76).
Inner oval: 17 × 33 mm.
Crown is 5 mm wide.
Provenance: Alan Griffiths.

 


Townsville Electric Telegraph Office.
BO3-ETO.
No date.
Size: ??.
Inner oval: 17 × 35 mm.
Crown is 7 mm wide.

Format: 4.
Type: RO3 - ETO.

Rubber handstamps in violet.
Size: 21 × 36 mm (e = 0.81).

Number in the Census: 3.

Towns 2
Townsville Electric Telegraph Office.
Strike on 3d brown.
No date.

Provenance: Alan Griffiths.


Townsville Electric Telegraph Office.
Strike of block of 4 1/- lilac.
No date.

  Townsville oval
Townsville Electric Telegraph Office.
Incomplete strike on 2/- tourquoise.
No date.

Status Auctions January 2011 Lot 1631.

Telegraph Office/
Townsville.

Diameter: 30 mm.
1 mm rectangular dots.

Used: November 1932 and
30 December 1943 (on AW-DO-10D (43)).

Townsville roo
November 1932.

With telegraph puncture.

On £2 black and pink Kangaroo on Map (small multi watermark).
Ebay Aug. 2012.

Towns Bridge
5 December 1932.

With telegraph puncture.

Prestige Philately November 2011,
Lot 274.

Townsville 1942
10 May 1942.

Used on AB-DO-8B.

T.O. Townsville.

Townsville was one of two Telegraph Offices in Queensland to receive a date stamp with the letters T.O. as a prefix to the Office.

Diameter: 32 mm.

Used: 30 December 1943 and
15 June 1954.

Rated: RR.

TO Town
T.O. Townsville 25 January 1945.
Sydney to RAAF Pacific Group 157.

AW-DO-10B (43).
Also has a red URGENT label (AW-LU-4).

 

(right): Used on a telegram delivery form.

 

 

 

 


(below): Used on phonograms.
Townsville
T.O. Townsville.
15 June 1964.
Phono
10 January 1964.
A SEND A TELEGRAM slogan cancellation was used at Townsville:

Datestamp: Circle.

Base inscription: QLD.

Earliest date of this format:
25 August 1933 (Occleshaw).

Latest date of this format:
22 November 1939.

Characteristics:
Die 5B: A over GR of TELEGRAM.

Number in the Census: 14.

Townsville 1933
15 September 1933.