Queensland:
Telegraph Offices in the Southern region.


 

Barcaldine.

The Telegraph Office opened on 13 November 1886. Two years later - on 12 August 1888 - the staff moved into a new Post & Telegraph Office. "The staff were kept busy from daylight to dark in removing to their present commodious premises; the change having to be made on the Sabbath day to obviate throwing the telegraphic and postal work out of gear during the incoming week".

No special date stamp was issued for use with telegrams.

Barcaldine was important because it was established on the junction of the north-running telegraph line from Blackall to Aramac and the west-running line from Jericho which was later extended to Longreach.

Barcaldine
Barcaldine Post &Telegraph Office about 1910.
Baraldine main st
The main street of Barcaldine about 1910.
Barcaldine 1909
Barcaldine.
15 April 1914.

Usual postal date stamp.

 

Barcaldine
Balcaldine.
28 March 1953.

Used on a Congratulations telegram (AW-GCF-54Aa).

Usual date stamp used for postal purposes.

 

Blackall.

The Telegraph Office opened on 9 April 1877.

The staff of the Telegraph section consisted of an Electric Telegraph Station Master, one operator and one line repairer.

In 1880, 8,884 messages were sent including 662 OHMS messages.

Blackall
Blackall P&T Office about 1906 -
sometimes referred to as the "Blackall G.P.O."!!

Blackall 1
The left side of the building shown with the crowd waiting for the Mail delivery.

The name POST & TELEGRAPH OFFICE can be clearly seen.

The Blackall Post & Telegraph Office was not issued with a special date stamp for use with telegraphic work.

Instead the usual postal date stamp was used on telegrams.

Blackall
27 June 1930.

Used on AB-DO-6Aa.

Charleville.

The Telegraph Office opened on 5 October 1874. It was a designated repeater station.

In 1880, 3,401 messages were sent including 420 OHMS messages. The staff of the Telegraph section consisted of one Electric Telegraph Station Master, one operator, one line repairer and one messenger.

Charleville
Charleville Post and Telegraph Office about 1910.
Charleville coach
Charleville Post Office (about 1904) with the country mail leaving in the stage coach.
Charleville 2
The modern version of the Charleville Post Office.

Clintonvale R.S.

The Telegraph Office appears to have been opened at the Railway Station.

 
A Format 3 - BO3-ETO date stamp was issued to the Office.

It was used on 15 May 1935 for one strike but there is no record of other dates.

Size: 24 × 37 mm (e = 0.76).

Rated: RRR.

1935
  2d SA no date
Cunnamulla.

The Telegraph Office opened on 5 October 1874.

In October 1878 there was talk that the post master at Cunnamulla would give up his post office and enable it to be transferred to the ETO.

In 1880, 3,070 messages were sent including 280 OHMS messages. The staff of the Telegraph section consisted of one Electric Telegraph Station Master and one line repairer.

Cunnamulla 1
Cunnamulla P&T office about 1900. Little had changed since 1880.
Source Australian National Archives J2879 QTH397.
Cunnamulla 2
Rare postcard from a son to his mother in Kyneton, Vic with an unknown date because the stamp has been removed. The message reads:

"Cunnamulla: Dear Ma Our post office in the far west and can you recognise anyone? Hope this will find you far better than last reports have said. Kindest regards to all at Mountford. Wal".

Additions have been made to the text to make Wal's annotations clearer.

Cunnamulla staff
Cunnamulla Post & Telegraph staff in 1890.
Source: Australian National Archives J2879 QTH349.

Dirranbandi.

Dirranbandi is south of St George and almost on the NSW Border.

The Telegraph Office opened in XXX but closed on 30 June 1887. It re-opened on 5 October 1888.

Dirranbandi

Emerald

The Telegraph Office opened on 3 May 1877.

In 1880, 2,351 messages were sent from the Telegraph Office at the Railway Station including 420 OHMS messages. The staff of the Telegraph section consisted of one operator and one messenger.

It was destroyed by fire on 26 March 1892. On 11 January 1, the Minister for Home Affairs (Mr. O'Malley) agreed to the erection of a Post and Telegraph office at Emerald being carried out under the supervision of the Queensland Works Department.

 
Eulo.

The Telegraph Office was opened on 29 April 1881 - probably at the Post Office.

Eulo
Cobb & Co. Stage Coach at Eulo outside the P&T Office while on
the Cunnamulla to Thargomindah run. Taken about 1900.
Source: Australian National Archives J2879 Q325.
  Eulo
Eulo P&T Office in the 1940s.

Kilcoy.

Kilcoy is north-west of Caboolture and inland from Woodford. A tender for the construction of a new Post and Telegraph Office was let in March 1913 to E.Tofield for £678.

In June 1909, with the advent of telephone services, it was planned to supercede the exsisting contract office at Kilcoy by an official Post and Telegraph Office as soon as funds were available.

KIlcoy
Kilcoy Post & Telegraph Office about 1914.

Longreach.

The Telegraph Office opened on 21 December 1891.

Tenders were called for a new Post & Telegraph Office and Quarters in September 1892.

 
Mount Morgan.

The Telegraph Office

Mt Morgan
Mount Morgan Post & Telegraph Office in 1911.
The Telegraph Office is advertised in the left window.
Mungindi (see NSW listing).  

Roma.

The Telegraph Office opened on . Roma was an officially designated Repeating Station.

In 1880, 11,138 messages were sent including 1,498 OHMS messages. The staff of the Telegraph section consisted of one Electric Telegraph Station Master, 2 operators, 1 line repairer, 1 clerical assistant and one messenger.

 
Roma 1875
Roma P&T taken about 1875. Note telegraph poles.
Source: Australian National Archives J2879 QTH631.
Roma 1922
Roma P&T about 1920 after modernisation.
Source: Australian National Archives J2879 QTH328.
Southport.

The Post & Telegraph Office opened on 15 October 1879.

The first office was in a small house near where the Pacific Hotel now stands on the Esplanade. Mr. W.E. Hanlon was the first postmaster and only employee. At that time, Southport mails were received from Nerang by horse. Before the opening, the mails were distributed from the home of Mr. R. T. Johnston which was then known as Balclutha and is now part of the Star of the Sea Convent. It was the first house erected in Southport.

In April 1883, tenders were called for a new Post & Telegraph Office in Southport.

On 12 February 1909, the Brisbane Courier announced that: "The Minister for Public Works has accepted the tender of A. Keddie, at £1203, for the erection of a Post and Telegraph office, quarters and fencing at Southport. The new office will be on a good site at the corner of Scarborough and Nerang Streets. The present office is altogether out of date and inconvenient".

Southport 1904
Southport Post & Telegraph Office 1904.
Southport 1923
Southport Post & Telegraph Office 1923.
Southport became the landing place for the Pacific Cable in 1902 although another building was constructed to handle the cable traffic closer to the cable landing spot. Southport 1925
Southport postal date stamp.
17 December 1925.
Diameter: 30 mm.

QUEENSLAND at the base
and two 3 mm side arcs.

Springsure.

The Telegraph Office opened on 2 April 1872. It was an officially designated repairing station.

In 1874, a question in the Legislative Assembly pointed out the inadequacy of the £450 then budgeted for a new P&T building. In January 1878, the new building was completed - at a cost of £700.

In 1880, 2,456 messages were sent including 250 OHMS messages. The staff of the Telegraph section consisted of one Electric Telegraph Station Master and one line repairer.

 

St. George.

The Telegraph Office opened on 2 December 1874.

In 1880, 5,167 messages were sent including 312 OHMS messages. The staff of the Telegraph section consisted of one Electric Telegraph Station Master and one line repairer.

 
Surat.

It was an officially designated repairing station.

In 1880, 3,401 messages were sent including 420 OHMS messages. The staff of the P&T office consisted of one Postmaster and one line repairer.

Surat
Surat - main street showing Cobb & Co. offices and main store.
Source: Australian National Archives J2879-QTH313.
Tambo.

The Telegraph Office opened on 16 June 1874. The first communication with Brisbane was at 3 pm. It was an officially designated repeating station.

The various press messages noted "It is gratifying to be able to announce that a station has been opened at Tambo for the receipt and transmission of telegraphic messages, and that our Barcoo friends are no longer entirely dependent on the mail service and the state of the roads for communication with the rest of the world".

In 1880, 5,466 originating messages were sent including 388 OHMS messages. The staff of the Telegraph section consisted of one Electric Telegraph Station Master, 2 operators and 1 line repairer.

TamboThe new Tambo P&T Office about 1910.

On 22 August 1874, the Tambo Correspondent for the Queenslander noted "Our Telegraph Office seems to be appreciated if we may judge by the number of persons calling there ... the operator in charge is not allowed to take cheques and, so far inland, it is at times almost an impossibility to procure current coin ... Our dull little town was rather lively last night owing to the arrival of Mr. Robs and his dissolving views ... anything in the way of amusement will go down well here".

Tenders were called first in 1885 to build additions because of the additional responsibility of the Tambo office and second, in December 1903, for a new Post & Telegraph Office.

Tambo

Tambo.

Date stamp of 5/- grey and yellow Kangaroo of Map with 5 mm telegraph puncture.
Thargomindah.

The Telegraph Office was opened on 6 December 1881. The only postal staff prior to then was one Postmaster.

On 2 April 1884 "The Thargomindah telegraph office narrowly escaped being destroyed by fire through an explosion of kerosine. Fortunately the flames were quickly subdued. The station master was severely burnt on the arm. The letters and papers were uninjured".

In 1885, William Henderson "repudiated his tender" for the erection of additions to the P&T office and was disqualified from tendering for 12 months.

Thargomindah
The P&T Office about 1900 - with telegraph pole at front.
Source: Australian National Archives J1879 QTH399.
  Thago on 1d

Thargomindah.
5 June 1936.

Usual postal date stamp on 1d green KGV.

Warwick Post & Telegraph Office.

The Telegraph Office was opened on 22 October 1861.

The Post Office had been established on 1 August 1865. It was one of the 15 Post Offices opened by New South Wales in the Moreton Bay District and it was transferred to Queensland on 1 December 1859.

In 1880, 8,016 messages were sent including 933 OHMS messages. The staff of the Telegraph section consisted of an Electric Telegraph Station Master, 2 line repairers, 1 clerical assistant and 1 messenger.

Warwick 1875
Warwick Post & Telegraph Office about 1879.
Warwick 1889Warwick P&T about 1889.
Source: Australian National Archives J2879 QTH189.
Warwick 1902Warwick P&T about 1902. New building.

Warwick Railway Telegraph Office.

In 1880, 2,228 messages were sent including 1,827 OHMS messages. The staff of the Telegraph section consisted of one operator.

 

Yuleba.

Yuleba was established in 1878 and was connected to the railway in 1879. As a railhead for the region to the west, the town was an important centre until the railway was extended again to Roma in 1910.

Due to an error in assembling a sign for the railway station - and therefore for the telegraph - the station and the town were originally known as Yeulba. In 1938, the name was changed to the original intended name of Yuleba meaning "place of the waterlillies".

On 16 August 1924, the last Cobb and Co stage coach ran between Yuleba and Surat.

There is no record of a telegraph date stamp being issued to Yuleba.

The postal date stamp shown here YEULBA is rare.

Yuleba
30 April (?) 1920.