Darwin and Northern Territory - Colonial: 1869-1900.
Historical background.

On 5 February 1869, George Goyder, Surveyor-General of South Australia, established a settlement of 135 men and women at Port Darwin. The settlement was named Palmerston after the British Prime Mnister. In 1872, Government House was constructed.

In 1911, the name of the city was changed from Palmerston to Darwin.

The British Australia Telegraph Office (now Lyons Cottage) was constructed at the corner of Knuckey Street and The Esplanade. It overlooks the harbor and the Esplanade.