Western Australia.
Telegraph Offices in the Goldfields region.


 

An aside comment on opening hours for various Telegraph Offices in the Goldfields is appended below.

Bardoc.

A Post and Telegraph Office was opened at Bardoc on 10 July 1896. It was downgraded to an Admnistrative Office on 1 August 1908.

There is no record of a special date stamp for use with Telegraphs being allocated to this Office.

Bardoc is situated between Kalgoorlie and Menzies along the Goldfields Highway - abut 45 kms (30 miles) from Kalgoorlie. The town's name is Aboriginal in origin and is taken from a hill close to town. The word barduk means near or close in the local dialect.

Beverley.

A Post & Telegraph Office was opened on 6 December 1877. A Post Office had already been opened at Beverley on 1 May 1858.

The Office was issued with a rubber oval POST & TELEGRAPH OFFICE date stamp (RO7-P&TO):

Used: ??

Size:

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 0.

 
Black Flag

On 10 July 1897, the Government Gazette listed amongst the reserves that had been set aside that included 7 acres in Black Flag for Police, Post and Telegraph, Warden's Office, public utility and the Weslean Church.

The Post & Telegraph Office was opened on 18 July 1896 - presumably encompassing the previously listed area.

The Office was closed on 4 April 1907 but re-opened on 1 July 1907 but then closed permanently on 24 February 1908.

The two largest mines in the area - Black Flag and Lady Bountiful - had closed in 1906-1907 and so the town closed down soon after.

The Office was issued with an rubber oval TELEGRAPH OFFICE date stamp:

Used: 29 August 1896.

Size: 30 × 49 mm (e = 0.79).

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 1


29 August 1896 - about six weeks after the P&T Office opened.

Bonnievale.

A Post & Telegraph Office was opened at Bonnievale on 23 December 1897. It was down graded to an Allowance Office on 1 September 1909.

The Office was issued with a Post & Telegraph Office oval date stamp (RO6-P&TO):

Used in blue: 2 May 1899.

Size: ??

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 1


Boorabbin.

The Telegraph Office was opened on 24 September 1894. The Post & Telegraph Office was then opened in 1902.

Boorabbin is about 65 miles (100 kms) north west of Coolgardie.

The office was issued with a steel circular TELEGRAPH OFFICE date stamp.

Used: 12 June 1906, 21 Dec 1912, 12 June 1914, 10 August 1914
and 27 Jan 1913.

Diameter: 30 mm.

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the census: 5.


21 December 1912.
Abacus June 2019, Lot 848.


12 June 1914.
Ace March 2021 Lot 1154.

 

Boorabbin
10 August 1914.
Prestige June 2009 Lot 160.
Boulder.

The Post & Telegraph Office was opened on 12 April 1897.

 


Doullory
Mr. Dullory, Postmaster, Boulder.
Pleise St
Boulder (Pleise Street) about 1900 showing telegraph poles.
Ivanhoe mineThe Ivanhoe Gold Mine at Boulder about 1900.

Boulder Post & Telegraph Office about 1900.
See the reverse side of this postcard and further duscussion together with a rare Kalgoorlie oval date stamp elsewhere.
Boulder staff
The staff at the Boulder Post, Telegraph and Telephone Office in 1897.
Source: Souvenir of the Postal, Telegraph & Telephone Departments of Western Australia, Christmas 1896.

View of the Telegraph Office (on the right) in Burt Street, Boulder showing the telegraph wires.


Boulder PO
Boulder Post & Telegraph Office about 1950.
The office was issued with four types of rubber oval office date stamp for use on telegrams. These were:
  1. a rubber oval POST & TELEGRAPH OFFICE date stamp
    (RO6-P&TO).

Used in violet: 22 June 1904.

Size: 29 × 48 mm (e = 0.80).

Rating: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 1.


22 June 1904.
  1. a rubber oval POST & TELEGRAPH OFFICE date stamp
    (RO7 - TO).
    Includes W.A.

Use: 18 January 1911 and 31 March 1914.

Size: 25 × 42 mm (e = 0.80).

Rated RRRR.

Number in the Census: 2.



18 January 1911.
 
31 March 1914.
Used on WI-DU-1.
  1. a rubber oval TELEGRAPH OFFICE date stamp (RO7-TO).
    Excludes WA.

Used: 31 August 1916.

Size:

Rated RRRR.

Number in the Census: 1.


Boulder 1916
31 August 1916.

Used on WI-DU-2.

 

  1. RO2-TO:

Used 1944-47.

 
  1. RO2-T with postcode.

Used: about 1976.

 
Broad Arrow.

Broad Arrow was established as the Kurawa Receiving Office on 16 July 1896. The name was changed to Broad Arrow when the Post & Telegraph Office was established in 1898.

This office closed on 30 April 1971.

 

The office was issued with two types of rubber oval POST & TELEGRAPH OFFICE date stamps.

  1. RO2 - P&TO.

Used: 1901 to 1 November 1902

Size: 26 × 41 mm (e = 0.77).

Rated: RRR.

Number in the Census: 1.


Broad Arrow 1902
1 November 1902.
Used on WC-DO-5B.
  1. RO4 - P&TO.

Used: 6 April 1918.

Size: 25 ×

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 1.



6 April 1918.
Bulla-Bulling.

A Post Office was opened on 1 January 1896 and it was upgraded to a Post & Telegraph Office on 10 July 1897. It was downgraded to an Allowance Office on 13 December 1904.

Bulla-Billing is about 30 km (20 miles) west of Coolgardie.

A rubber oval Post & Telegraph Office (RO7-P&TO) was issued to the Office for use with telegraphs:

Used: 23 May 1898 - Feb 1899.

Size: 21 × 44 mm (e = 0.88).

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 3.


Detail of the date stamp on the cover below.
23 May 1898.

23 May 1898.
   
Part image - 1898.

February 1899.
Bulong.

The Post & Telegraph Office opened on 1 February 1896. Bulong is east of Coolgardie.

The Office was apparently issued with two formats of rubber oval date stamps for telegraph matters:

 

Telegraph Office.

No information recorded.

 
An RO6 - P & TO date stamp was issued with Bulong WA at the base. It was used in two colours:

Used in blue: 31 May 1899.

Size: 29 × 45 mm (e = 0.76).

Rating: RRRR.

Number in Census: 1.


31 May 1899.
On reverse side on an unclaimed registered cover from the Registered Office of Titles in Perth to Bulong with Dead Letter Office hand stamps.

Used in violet: 3 July 1899.

Size: 29 × 45 mm (e = 0.76).

Rating: RRRR.

Number in Census: 1.


Bulong 1899
Bulong Post & Telegraph Office.
3 July 1899.
RO7 - P&T in violet.
Coolgardie.

The Post & Telegraph Office opened on 22 July 1894.

The original location of the Post Office - opened in September 1893 - is not known.

The position of Messenger at the Coolgardie Telegraph Office (held by Mr. E. C. Harper) was abolished and gazetted on 5 August 1926.

Coolgardie 1894
The Coolgardie Post Office in which the Telegraph Office was temporarily located in 1894.
Source: Souvenir of the Postal, Telegraph & Telephone Departments of Western Australia, Christmas 1896.
A new building was immediately planned.

The first section of Coolgardie's Public Buildings, which included the Post & Telegraph Office, was completed on 3 May 1895 at a cost of £7,060.

There were mixed opinions of the design - the Coolgardie Miner of 31 March 1896 noting as follows:

"We have with amused interest watched the erection of the ghastly structure, and frequently speculated as to the purpose for which it was erected. Externally and internally, it is conceivably ugly, atrociously so, and reminds us of a very bad cross between a second-rate stable and an ancient West Australian gaol. It does not possess one solitary redeeming feature, and if it went off to Woolgangie through the exertions of a willy-willy, or suddenly disappeared into the earth, there would be tumultuous rejoicing".

The building was altered several times over the next few years.

Coolgardie
Coolgardie circa 1906.
From a postcard.

The Coolgadie Telegraph Office was issued with four types of rubber oval office date stamp which were used on telegrams between the early 1900s and the 1940s:

  • RO6 - TO used about 1906 (rated RRR);
  • RO7 - P&TO used 1911-14 (rated RRR);
  • RO7 - P&TO used 1916 (rated RRR);
  • RO7 - P&TO used 1940 (rated RR);
 
  On 6d bright violet Swan with Crown over CA watermark, perf 18 issued January 1893.

Coolgardie Railway Station.

The Telegraph Office at the Coolgardie Railway station was also issued with an oval date stamp The Office opened in September 1895 and closed on 19 May 1896.

The Western Mail of 13 March 1896 reported:

"The new railway station is rapidly approaching completion, and has a striking appearance. The best endeavours have apparently been made to make the extension and station buildings as convenient as possible. One omission, however, from the station is a verandah, which will be much required during both winter and summer. Let us hope that the Works Department will cause this error to be rectified, and the very necessary addition made before the completion of the contract.

It is a great pity that the much desired extension could not have been carried out without so great a disfigurement to our main street. I allude to the huge banks of earth standing in the railway yard, obstructing the view and proving decidedly unsightly. From a first view, the station building presents a rather a pretty and inviting appearance, certainly much more so than the old shanty that does service as a station at the present time, and which I feel has been the cause of so much adverse criticism on the town, giving visitors at once a bad impression".

There are five recorded examples of the date stamp RO6 - P&TO - all used in early 1896 (rated RRRR) before the opening of the Railway Station.

Cool rail 2
Coolgardie Railway Post & Telegraph Office.
2 January 1896.

Prestige Philately August 2010 Lot 506.
ACE Auctions, July 2018 Lot 898.

Cool rail 1
Coolgardie Railway Post & Telegraph Office.
9 January 1896.

Previously considered that only this part strike existed.

Cool RS Feb 96 Coolgardie Railway Post & Telegraph Office.
5 February 1896.

Double rate envelope registered to Southern Cross.

Spink 19 May 2015, Vestey Collection Lot 485.

Cool oval 3 stamps
Coolgardie Railway Post & Telegraph Office.
4 March 1896.

Prestige Philately August 2011 Lot 535.

Cool Rail Jan
Coolgardie Railway Post & Telegraph Office.
5 March 1896.

Prestige Philately December 2010 Lot 542.

Coonanalion or Coonalion.

In the Goldfields, a Receiving Office was opened on 1 January 1995 25 miles from Kalgoorlie - and hence became known as 25 Mile. It was intended that this Office would be renamed Coonalion but instead it was renamed Kunnanalling on 15 November 1895. For further discussion and history of 25 Mile, 25 Miles Mines.

A personal note written by Robin Goulder indicates that the Postmaster General's Annual Report for 1895 shows the spelling as Coonalion and that this spelling was also used in PMI. The 1896 Report shows the spelling as Kunanalling (late Coonalion).

A RO6-P&TO oval date stamp was issued to the Office - presumably in 1895. It is incomplete and has the spelling as COONANALLI(NG). Goulder observes that the spelling in this date stamp "is more consistent with KUNANALLING and was presumably ordered before the name change. Either way, this is the first postal marking for Coonalion/Coonanalion".

Used in violet: 1895 (?).

Size: ??

Rated: RRRRR.
PMI states "no marking known".

Number in the Census: 1.


Undated.

Diorite King.

The mine is located about 30 kms north of Leonora. The town was later renamed Kurrajong.

The Post & Telegraph Office opened on 17 July 1897 - two days after the line had been completed. It was then closed on 31 May 1901 but reopened as a Receiving Office on 17 June 1907.

On 8 September 1897, the party who constructed the telegraph line to Lawlers (via Diorite King) passed through on their return to Coolgardie. Three hundred camels were expected through the following day on their return after taking loading to Lawlers. Snell Brothers of Menzies, had commenced the erection of a store - making the third in the town.

The office was issued with a rubber oval POST & TELEGRAPH OFFICE date stamp (RO7-P&TO):

Used: in 1901.

Size:

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 0.

 

Dundas.

A Post & Telegraph Office was opened at Dundas (below Norseman) on 3 June 1896. Unfortunately the Office was destroyed by fire on 19 May 1895.

A straight line DUNDAS handstamp is recorded but the date stamp was presumably destroyed in the fire.

Fimiston.

Fimiston is located just to the east of Boulder.

The Post & Telegraph Office opened in 1902.

Two RO6-P&TO date stamps were issued to the office for use with Telegraph activities and used in black:
  1. has WA at base.

Size: 26 × 48 mm (e = 0.84).

Used: 15 (2) and 16 December 1905.

Rating: RRRR.

Number in Census: 3.

Firmiston
15 December 1905.
Used on a postcard from New Zealand to Kalgoorlie.
 


16 December 1905.

  1. has WA at base.

Size:

Use: about 1931-33.

Rating: RRRR.

 

Goongarrie.

The Post & Telegraph Office opened on 26 November 1895 when 90 Mile changed name to Goongarrie.

It had originally been named 90 mile because of its distance from Coolgardie. Gold was discovered in May 1893 by a prospector named Frost.

Two rubber oval TELEGRAPH OFFICE date stamps were issued to the Goongarrie office:
  1. with a RO6 - TO format and stars at both ends:

Used in violet: 5 March 1896 - 30 January 1897;

Size: 28 × 44 mm (e = 0.77).

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 3.

Goongarrie 1
5 March 1896.
 
30 January 1897.
  Goongarrie 2
14 May 189?.
  1. with a RO2 - P&TO.
    Two digit year.
    Separation dots at both ends.

Used in red: 17 March (19)02.

Size: 27 × 45 mm (e = 0.80).

Rated: RRRRR.

Number in the Census: 1.

 


17 March 1902.
Gwalia.

The Telegraph Office opened between 1903 and 1915.

Gwalia is located just below Leonora (see article below).

A rubber oval date stamp (RO4-P&TO) was used at the office about 1915.

Size: 25 × 42 mm (e = 0.80).
Rated: RRRR.

Only one recorded use.

Gwalia
12 May 1915.
Used on the flap of a OHMS registered envelope sent
from Perth to Gwalia on 10 May 1915 but unclaimed
and returned to Land Titles Office on 16 June 1915.

Kalgoorlie Miner 31 July 1902:

The recent visit of the Surveyor-General has been the means of arousing keen interest in the matter of a townsite here but, had the residents taken up the matter earlier and appointed representatives to meet the gentleman in question, it would have been more to their credit and they would have stood a much better chance of getting what they desire.

True, Messrs. Dockendorf, Alderdice, and Mowat - members of the progress committee - did wait on the Surveyor General, but as they had practically nothing definite in the way of resolutions from the residents and were not even unanimous on the matter themselves, they could hardly be expected to make a good impression.

Mr. Johnstone was practically left to the tender mercies of the Leonoraites, who naturally did their level best to convince him that it gave the Gwalia residents no end of pleasure to trudge five miles for their letters or for a draught of fuel oil or anything else that cannot be obtained nearer town.

Under present conditions it would certainly be a big knock to Leonora if a townsite was granted to Gwalia. If the Tower Hill line and the shows north of Leonora develop up to expectations, Leonora could afford to lose the bulk of the Gwalia trade. The ?? could have raised a great cry about vested interest, but that is a term that fairly stinks as far as the mining community is concerned and threatens to eventually kill the goose that lays the golden eggs, a subject that was ably dealt with in a recent article in the Kalgoorlie Miner.

However, it does not follow that because the fields are fleeced so shamefully to build up the farming and other coastal industries, the people of Gwalia are to quietly submit to being taxed and placed to no end of inconvenience for the sake of a few townspeople. The extension of the Leonora boundaries so as to take in about a mile or two of country between Leonora and Gwalia has already caused trouble to prospectors and it would be a very short-sighted policy to have residential blocks on what is known to be auriferous ground.

The Sons of Gwalia Company hold two 24-acre leases north of the Rochester - Gwalia and, although the Gwalia lode has not been traced further north than the Rochester, it is only reasonable to suppose that the two leases mentioned will be worked some day. At present they are held by permission to concentrate the labor on the main leases. The Gwalia residents, or at least a large number of them, would be sorry to see Leonora "go bung'' and therefore are prepared to make some sacrifice for the sake of those who have spent their money in making the town what it is.

There is little doubt that the lack of postal facilities is largely the cause of the agitation for a townsite at Gwalia and if post, telegraph, and money order offices were established, in all probability the agitation would soon die a natural death. A matter, however, which has to be settled is the question of a hotel and, on August 2, the residents are requested to say whether they are in favor of a license at Gwalia Block or a license near the A. W.A. Hall to be sold to the highest bidder, or a license near the hall to be controlled by the municipality. Gwalia offers an exceptional opportunity to test the idea of State monopoly of the liquor trade and the advocates of that principle expect a majority on Saturday.

Attention has frequently been drawn to the failure of the officials to station police here, although they promised to do so months ago. If the department are only waiting for another outrage to be committed probably the police will be sent along shortly for a few nights since three suspicious looking individuals, said to be armed with revolvers, were surprised while apparently trying to force an entrance into the local railway station.

The concert in aid of the A.W.A. Hall building fund promises to be a great success. The committee have arranged a first-class programme, the performers including Miss Olive Sharpe of Menzies.

Kalgoorlie.

The Post & Telegraph Office was established with the name of Kalgoorlie on 21 August 1894. Previously, a Post Office with the name of Hannans had been opened on 11 February 1894 but it changed name to Kalgoorlie on 18 June 1894.

In September 1895, tenders were called for the construction of a "wood and iron" Post & Telegraph Office at Kalgoorlie.

Kalgoorlie 1907
The first Post & Telegraph Office in Kalgoorlie - as shown by the sign above the men. It was one of the hessian bags constructions - see below.

Hannan St
Hannan Street, Kalgoorlie showing the extensive use of telegraph wires.
The Post & Telegraph Office can be seen to the right of centre.

Kalgoorlie
Kalgoorlie circa 1915. The new "wood and iron" building.

"These remarks bring the writer (in the WA Record of 18 July 1896) to the amazing rate at which Kalgoorlie for some time has been progressing. Seven or eight months ago the town was little better than a miserable collection of bag shanties. The warden's court and offices, the Post and Telegraph offices, the police quarters and many of the leading business establishments were of hessian.

Since then a wonderful metamorphosis has been effected and Hannans has now grown into a town which its inhabitants view with pardonable pride. The bag shanties have long since all disappeared, the presence of hessian in buildings being condemned by a by-law of the Municipal Council.

Many magnificent hotels have been erected, and a visitor may now be as well accommodated in Kalgoorlie as in almost any city in Australia. The business places would not discredit any goldfields town in the colonies and the Government buildings, though a considerable advance on the bag shanties, are perhaps the only institutions that have not kept pace with the town's progress.

The Post Office, for instance, when commenced was considered much too large for the business ever likely to be done in the town, but the number of letters, telegrams and money orders passing through the establishment at present exceeds that of any other office outside of the metropolis, with the result that the buildings are not nearly sufficiently commodious".

Four rubber oval date stamps appear to have been issued to the Kalgoorlie Telegraph Office:

  1. A RO2 - P&TO.

Used in violet: September 1899.

Size: 26 × 41 mm (e = 0.77).

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 2 (both doubled).


RO2 P&T
7 September 1899.
Two strikes in violet of the RO2-P&TO date stamp.
The second example of the RO2-P&TO strike.

Double strike on a block of 6 1d red Swans.

RO2-P&TO swans
8 September 1899 - two strikes.
ACE July 2018 Lot 932.
  1. A RO2 - TO.

Used in red: 29 June 1903.

Size: 26 × 54 mm (e = 0.88).

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 1 (only one example recorded).

Kalgoorlie 1902
29 June 1903.
Used on WI-DO-1.
  1. A RO6 - P and TO.

Used in red: 4 September 1903.

Size: 29 × 49 mm (e = 0.81).

Rated: RRRR

Number in the Census 1: (only one recorded in red).


Kal RO6
4 September 1903.
  1. A RO6 - P&TO.

Used in blue: 18 January 1904.

Size: 29 × 49 mm (e = 0.81).

Rated: RRRR

Number in the Census 1: (only one recorded in blue).


Blue
18 January 1904.

Used on a Postal & Electric Telegraph Department receipt for telephone rental.
ACE Auctions, July 2018, Lot 934.

  1. A RO4 - P&TO.
    Has separation dots at each end.

Used in violet: 3 October 1912.

Size: 24 × 46 mm (e = 0.85).

Rated: RRRR

Number in the Census 1:
(Not listed elsewhere).


Kal 1912 RO7
3 October 1912.
  1. A RO4 - P&TO.
    Has no separation decorations.

Used in violet: 30 June 1914.

Size: 25 × 42 mm (e = 0.80).

Rated: RRRR

Number in the Census 1:
(Not listed elsewhere).



30 June 1914.

The reverse side of the postcard with the above RO4 - P&TO oval date stamp.
The front of the card shows the Boulder Post Office with a comment comparing the two Post Offices.

A steel date stamp inscribed TELEGRAPH OFFICE with KALGOORLIE W.A. at the base was issued to the Office:

Used: 19 October 1927 to 18 October 1946.

Diameter: 28 mm.

Rated: RRR.

Number in the Census: 6.

A steel TELEGRAPHS date stamp has also been noted as being used in 1911 but it has not been seen (diameter 28 mm and rated RRRR).

Kal 28
20 April 1928.
Kal 1931
5 February 1931.
  Kalgoorlie 1937
28 June 1937.

18 October 1946.

A very rare date stamp is from North Kalgoorlie but with NORTH removed.

That Post Office had operated in Ward Street and then in Campbell but closed on 21 June 1920. The date stamp had been used from 6 June 1906.

The 28 mm date stamp is known only on two early telegrams (Rated RRRR).

Kal no nth
Kalgoorlie with North removed.
11 May 1927.

Used on AE-DO-1Eb (printed on the scarce brown paper instead of green). Also used on AE-DO-1Ea but it is a very smudged example.

 
Kookynie.

Kookynie is south-east of Leonora and east of Menzies. The name is believed to be an aboriginal word meaning 'water hole' or 'spring. It was established after gold had been discovered there in 1895. The town was gazetted in 1900.

By 1907, the town had 3,500 inhabitants and its facilities included 11 hotels and a brewery.

A Post & Telegraph Office was opened on 28 February 1901. Previously it had just been a Receiver of Mail Bags (RMB).


July 1902.

A rubber oval date stamp (RO2 - P&TO2) was issued to the Office:

Used in red: July 1902.

Size: ??

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 1.

Kunanalling.

See Coonanalion

 

Lake View.

An Official Office was opened on 19 February 1904 when the office was transferred from Trafalgar which had been opened on 6 December 1902. The Office was transferred back to Trafalgar in 1909.

The Lake View and Star Mine is located about 6 kms from Kalgoorlie.

A rubber oval Telegraph Office date stamp (RO7-TO) was issued to the Office.

Used in mauve: 18 August 1904.

Size:

Rated: RRRR (especially given it operated for only 5 years).

Census: 1 (only recorded example).

Lakeview
18 August 1904.

ACE Auctions, July 2018.

Laverton.

The Post & Telegraph Office opened at Laverton on 13 August 1899.

The site was originally known as British Flag.

Two rubber oval date stamps were issued to the Telegraph Office at Laverton for use with telegraph business. They were used concurrently.

  1. a rubber oval date stamp (RO2-TS).
    The inscription of TELEGRAPH STATION is rare - Port Hedland being the only other station to use this inscription.

Used in violet: June/July 1900.

Size: 25 × 49 mm (e = 0.86).

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 3.

Laverton 1900
2? June 1900.
Laverton 1903
10 July 1900.
ACE Stamp Auctions, December 2012.
Laverton July 21
21 July 1900.
Spink Sale: 21 April 2017 in Lot 2143.
  1. a rubber oval date stamp (RO2-P&TO).
    The inscription is Post & Telegraph Office.
Used: 26 September 1899 and 17 - 19 July 1900.

Size: 26 × 41 mm (e = 0.77).

Rated: RRRR.

Number in Census: 3.


26 September 1899.
(Earliest recorded date).
Laverton No 2
17 July 1900.
Laverton post tele
19 July 1900 (latest recorded date).

Lawlers.

The Post & Telegraph Office was opened on 30 August 1897. A Post Office had been opened during the previous year on 16 August 1896.

Two rubber oval date stamps were issued to Lawlers for use with telegraphic business:

  1. a rubber oval TELEGRAPH OFFICE date stamp (RO2-TO):

Used: about 1898.

Size:

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 0.

 
  1. a rubber oval POST & TELEGRAPH OFFICE date stamp (RO2-P&TO):

Used: about 1912.

Size:

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 0.

 
(Mount) Leonora.

The Telegraph Office opened at Mt. Leonora on 22 October 1897 together with the Post Office.

On 10 July 1908, the name changed to Leonora.

Leonora is about 237 kms north of Kalgoorlie.

On 7 April 1899, a deputation from the town waited on the Premier. They had three requests:

  1. the appointment of a Telegraph Messenger;
  2. the establishment of a public school;
  3. the appointment of a Mining Registrar.

Leonora P&T
Leonora P&T in 1905.
Kalgoorlie Western Argus, 13 June 1905.


Leonora Post & Telegraph Office about 1950.
Five formats for the oval date stamps issued to the Mount Leonora Telegraph Office are known. The first date stamp was inscribed Mount Leonora while the others (from 1900 onward) had the word MOUNT either removed or were produced as Leonora.

All had the inscription Post & Telegraph Office:

  1. RO6 - P&TO.

Used in violet:
10 March to 18 October 1899.

Size: 27 × 44 mm (e = 0.79).

Rated RRRR.

Number in the Census: 4.

Mt Leon Mar 99
10 March 1899.

Also recorded:

  • 21 June 1899 (Mossgreen, August 2017).
  • 5 September 1899 (ACE June 2021, Lot 1190).
Leonora 1899
18 October 1899.
 
  1. RO2 - P&TO.

Used in violet:
17 January 1903.

Size: 27 × 41 mm (e = 0.75).

Rating: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 1.

Not recorded elsewhere.

Leonora 1903
17 January 1902.
Used on an Avis de Réception form.
 
  1. RO7 - P&TO.
    Name changed to LEONORA.

Used in blue:
10 September 1900.

Size: 30 × 43 mm (e = 0.72).

Rating: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 1.


10 September 1900.
 
  1. RO7 - P&TO.
    Name changed to LEONORA.

Used in violet:
13 August 1901.

Size: 30 × 43 mm (e = 0.72).

Rating: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 1.

 


13 August 1901.
 
  1. RO7 - P&TO.
    Name changed to LEONORA.

Used in violet:
13 January 1914(?).

Size: .

Rating: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 1.


15 Jan ?? - maybe 1914.
 

The Mount Leonora area was very rich. Crushing had started at the Sons of Gwalia mine on 1 May 1896 and, by 9 September 1897, 2,l51 tons had yielded 3,456 oz of gold.

An interesting article appeared in The Evening Star (Boulder) on 3 September 1908:

For the Leonora electorate the nominations of Messrs. Semken, Gourlev, Carr and J. Jones were received. The nomination of Julian Stuart was invalid.

He telegraphed his nomination from Leonora shortly after 10 o'clock this morning which did not reach the returning officer at Malcolm at the closing hour of nominations.

The West Australian of 27 November 1908 reported:

THE LEONORA ELECTION. SUSPENDED OFFICIALS REINSTATED. Mr. Barwick, the postmaster and Mr. Toomey, telegraph operator, who have been under suspension for nearly two months in connection with an alleged delay in the transmission of Mr. Julian Stuart's nomination as a candidate for Parliament at the recent elections, have, after a thorough investigation, been reinstated. Both officers resumed duty to-day.

(Mt.) Malcolm.

A Receiving Office was opened at Mt. Malcolm on 1 March 1897. Soon after, the Post & Telegraph Office was opened on 15 June 1897 - also as Mount Malcolm.

The Office was renamed Malcolm in 1904. It closed on 20 December 1950.

The Office was issued with a rubber oval TELEGRAPH OFFICE date stamp (RO6-TO) inscribed Mt. Malcolm. Then, after the change of name, a new date stamp was issued to Malcolm:

A rubber oval POST & TELEGRAPH OFFICE date stamp
(RO6 - P&TO):

Used in blue: 13 July - 15 December 1897.
(only known used in 1897).

Size: 26 × 43 mm (e = 0.80).

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 4.


13 July 1897.

19 August 1897.

15 December 1897.
Menzies.

Menzies lies 92 miles north-west of Kalgoorlie and was the main town of the North Coolgardie goldfields. It was discovered in 1894 by Mr. I. R. Menzies. In the mid 1890s, Menzies was the terminus of the railway line.

In 1896, there was a population of about 2,000 people but it would soon cater to over 6,000 people living within 2 mile radius. The town had 10 hotels, four churches and three banks.

Tenders for the Post & Telegraph Office were called in October 1895. The telegraph line had reached Menzies by November 1896 and the Post & Telegraph office was nearing completion.

Unfortunately, in March 1896 Mr Jackson, an operator in the Menzies telegraph office, died from fever. He had arrived in Menzies on 29 January and developed fever in early March. Two other operators from the same office, Messrs Shaw and Thornton, had to be taken to the Coolgardie hospital suffering from the same disease.

 

By 1897, there were 5 main gold mines (Lady Shenton (producing 24,237 ozs of gold), Queensland Menzies (16, 138 ozs), Menzies Gold Reefs (7, 019 ozs), Menzies Consolidated (6, 119) and Florence (706 ozs).

Menzies
Menzies Post & Telegraph Office about 1896.
Source: Souvenir of the Postal, Telegraph & Telephone Departments
of Western Australia, Christmas 1896.

Menzies staff
Staff at Menzies about 1894.
Source: Souvenir of the Postal, Telegraph & Telephone Departments
of Western Australia, Christmas 1896.

On 11 August, 1896, an officer of the Telegraph Department arrived to install duplex instruments at the telegraph office.

"The additions to the Menzies telegraph office have just been completed by the contractors Messrs. Hayward and Gray, and as a result the receiving operators were last night more comfortably situated. Instead of the postal and telegraphic work having to be done in one apartment, separate rooms have been provided in which the work of the different branches of the service can be carried out. This will undoubtedly prove advantageous to the public as well as the staff". (The Menzies Miner, 10 April, 1897).
Four oval date stamps were issued for Telegraph use at Menzies with all of them used concurrently in 1904:
  1. a rubber oval POST & TELEGRAPH OFFICE date stamp (RO6 - P&TO).
    A 2 mm dash at each end to separate the top & lower inscriptions.
    4 digit year.

Used in violet: 5 & 16 September 1904.

Size: 26 × 45 mm.

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 2.

Menzies RO6 P&TO
5 September 1904.
Menzies 600 ACE Stamp Auctions November 2013 Lot 963. Lady Shenton Hotel cover sent from Menzies to Hobart,Tasmania.
5 September 1904.

Has two complete strikes of the Post & Telegraph Office oval date stamp (RO6 - P&TO).

 

  1. a rubber oval TELEGRAPH OFFICE date stamp (RO6 - TO)
    No separation marking at the ends between the top and bottom inscriptions.
    Two digit year.

Used: 19 July 0?.

Size: 27 × 45 mm (e = 0.80).

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 1.


19 July 1904.
  1. a rubber oval TELEGRAPH OFFICE date stamp (RO6 - TO).
    Has separation markings at either end between top and bottom inscriptions.
    Four digit year.

Used: 29 July 1904.

Size: 27 × 45 mm (e = 0.80).

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 1.


29 July 1904.
Used on a Tattersall's cover to Hobart.
  1. a rubber oval TELEGRAPH OFFICE date stamp (RO7 - TO).
    Has separation stars at either end between the top and bottom inscriptions.
    Four digit year.

    The W.A. inscription has been removed.

Used: 1 July 1915.

Size: 24 × ?? mm (e = ??).

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 1.


1 July 1915.
Mount Malcolm.

The Telegraph Office was opened on or about 19 July 1897.

There was a change of name to Malcolm in 1904.

One format for a date stamp was issued for Telegraph use at Mount Malcolm while another was issued after the change of name to Malcolm:
  1. a rubber oval Telegraph Office date stamp (RO6 - TO):

Used in blue: 19 August 1897.

Size:

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 1.

Mt Mal 1
19 August 1897.
Mt Malcolm Jul 22
22 July 189?.

Used in violet: 15 December 1897.

Size:

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 1.
(not previously recorded)

Mt Mal 2
15 December 1897.

On 7 March 1896, the Kalgoorlie Miner reported that "Further results of crushings from the Little Wonder are to hand. The mine is situated about 15 miles from Doyles' Well, near Mount Malcolm. The first crushing of half a ton from the surface yielded 970 ounces of gold. A second crushing of 8cwt from the 70ft level gave 423 oz, and a third crushing from the 90ft level of 23cwt returned 1310 oz. The last crushing, which was from the 160 ft level, gave 250 oz from 48 cwt. Mount Malcolm is situated half-way between Ninety Mile and Lake Darlot or Lake Carey".

On 19 March 1897, the Daily News reported that "A public meeting, attended by 700 persons in and around Mt. Malcolm, was held in front of the Mt. Malcolm Hotel in Star Street on Monday evening the 15th March ... (amongst other matters, the meeting urged) that the Government erect and open a Post and Telegraph office forthwith and that a bi-weekly mail service be established at once to this township".

It appears that the Telegraph Office was opened on or about 19 July 1897.

Mount Morgan.

Morgans (Mount Morgan) is east of Leonara on the way to Laverton.

A Post & Telegraph Office was opened at Mount Morgan on 10 August 1899.

It was renamed Morgans in 1909.

One format of a rubber oval date stamp (RO2-P&TO) was issued to Mount Morgan.

Used: November 1899.

Size: ??

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 1.


November 1899.

Mulline and Mulwarrie

The telegraph line had been completed in of before March 1901 to both places and to Davyhurst. Mr. Scholl (the Postmaster-General) said the Department was in the process of renting premises at both the first two locations. He hoped they would both be open very shortly and so operators would be appointed by that time (The Menzies Miner 6 April 1901). The office at Davyhurst would be deferred pending the receipt of a report.

 

 

Murrin Murrin.

A Receiver of Mail Bags was opened in November 1897 and that was upgraded to the Murrin Murrin Post & Telegraph on 18 March 1898. It was downgraded to an Allowance Office on 23 October 1913.

Two types of rubber oval date stamps were issued to the Office for use with telegraphic matters:

  1. RO7-P&TO.

Size: 30 × 49 mm (e = 0.79).

Used: 2 October 1899.

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 1.

 


2 October 1899.
  1. RO4-P&TO.

Allegedly used about 1913. Never reported.

 
Niagara.

The Post & Telegraph Office opened on 13 July 1896 after a Receiving Office had opened in January 1896. After being downgraded to an Allowance Office in 1907 and a Receiving Office in 1912, the office was closed on 7 July 1913.

On 16 July 1896, the Coolgardie Miner had noted (at the time of opening of the lines) that "Another pressing need here is assistance for the local postmaster. A big mail comes in and it is the despatch office for four lines — altogether too much for one man. A decent post and telegraph office should also at once be erected, as a fair-sized mail bag and a small boy would just about crowd the present building".

The Office was issued with a rubber oval POST & TELEGRAPH OFFICE date stamp (RO2-P&TO):

Used: about 1904.

Size:

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 0.

 
Norseman.

The Post & Telegraph Office was established on 7 May 1896 - about three months after the Post Office had been opened.

There was no date stamp designed expressly for telegrams.

Norseman 1909
4 December 1909.
Premier Auctions.

Paddington.

A RMB was opened at Paddington in November 1896 and this was converted to a Post & Telegraph Office on 15 November 1897. The Office was closed on 30 November 1911.

The gold mine was located about half way between Kalgoorlie and Menzies.

A rubber oval POST & TELEGRAPH OFFICE date stamp (RO2-P&TO) was issued to the office:

Used: ??

Size:

Rated:

Number in the Census: 1.

Paddington
Unknown date.

Trafalgar.

A gold mine near Kalgoorlie and Coolgardie was named Lake View and soon became a small township. One of the main hotels in the town was the Trafalgar Hotel.

On 6 December 1902, an Administrative Office was opened in Trafalgar - it is not known whether that office was in the Hotel (but it is highly probable). On 19 February 1904, this office was renamed Lake View but in 1909, the name reverted to Trafalgar.


1 July (1914).
Provenance: Creaser.

The Oval is on an O.H.M.S Savings Bank envelope. The block of 1d Kangaroos affixed over the top of the oval date stamp were cancelled the day after the Trafalgar date stamp was applied.

Three 21 mm postal date stamps are known for Lake View but without known dates for usage.

A number of 21 mm date stamps are known for Trafalgar (between 1904 and 1906) - yes confusing.

A RO4-P&TO rubber oval date stamp is recorded as having been used:

Used: in 1914 (not 1915 as reported elsewhere);

Size: ??

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 1.


2 July 1914.
Registered - Kalgoorlie.

Waverley.

Waverley was situated between Kalgoorlie and Leonora (about 75 km from Kalgoorlie). Gold was discovered in the area in late 1893 by two prospectors Billy Frost and Bob Bonner.

Initially the town was to be called Siberia but the local Progress Association wanted it to called Waverley after the name of a local mine.

A Post Office was established as Siberia on 1 April 1896. That Office was renamed Waverley in July 1899 after the town was gazetted as Waverley in 1898. The Telegraph Office was opened in 1901.

In 1911, the Postmaster was concerned about the duplication of town names and so the town was renamed Siberia in 1914 after the name of a local water supply. It is now a ghost town - the last resident having left in 1954.

A rubber oval Post & Telegraph Office date stamp (RO7-P&TO) was issued to the office:

Used: 30 April 1912.

Size: ? × 30 mm.

Rated: RRRR.

No. in the Census: 1

Widgemooltha.

The Telegraph Office opened on 18 October 1896.

Mr G. Ferguson was appointed as the first Post & Telegraph Master.

Widgemooltha is about 55 miles (80 kms) south of Coolgardie.


A rubber oval Post & Telegraph Office date stamp (RO2 - P&TO) was issued for use with telegraphs:

Used in purple: 6 January and 16 October ??

Size:Size: 29 × 45 mm (e = 0.76).

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 2.


6 January ??.
In red.

Widgiemooltha
16 October ??
In purple.

Yerilla.

A Receiver of Mail Bags was opened in February 1896 and a Post & Telegraph Office was opened on 16 February 1897. That office was closed on 31 December 1899.

Yerilla is just east of Kalgoorlie.

The Office was issued with a Post & Telegraph rubber oval date stamp.

Used in purple: 8 September 1899.

Size:Size: 29 × 45 mm (e = 0.76).

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 1.

 


8 September 1899 - about 3 months prior to Office closing.

Yundamindera.

A Post & Telegraph Office was first opened at The Granites on 10 December 1900. During the visit of the Warden on 3 December 1900, it was agreed that the name The Granites was not sufficiently reassuring for a gold mining centre and so it should be changed. The Warden suggested that, if a local aboriginal name could be found, bearing a suitable English interpretation it would help the local nomenclature and prove acceptable in many other ways. After several suggestions, the name Yundamindera was selected and soon gazetted.

Hence the office was renamed Yundamindera from The Granites. The article in the North Coolgardie Herald of 13 December 1900 reported that "The Post and Telegraph Offices shall remain upon the site where they were started to be erected. The work has gone on rapidly since instructions to that effect were received and we expect to be able to do business in the building by the end of the current week".

On 13 June 1903, the Laverton & Beria Mercury reported that "Mr. C. Cooper, of the local Post and Telegraph Office, who recently spent a week or two in the Laverton Hospital suffering from pneumonia and who is at present recuperating his health at Mandurah, has received instructions to proceed to Yundamindera at the termination of his vacation to take charge of the Post and Telegraph Office at that place. His many friends in Laverton wish him every success".

The RO6-P&TO date stamp issued to the Office:

Used in blue: 1 May 1902 and 24 July 1902.

Size: ??

Rated: RRRRR.

Number in the Census: 2.


1 May 190?
 
24 July 1902.

 

Opening hours for Telegraph Offices in the Goldfields.
(The Menzies Miner 14 September 1901).

"The idiosyncrasies of the Telegraph Department surpass the understanding. The anomalies which it allows to exist, and the extravagance for which it is responsible, are something wonderful to contemplate.

It might be reasonable to suppose that uniform hours would be observed in the telegraph offices of the State, but we have not to go beyond the towns of the northern districts for instances of the most senseless lack of uniformity.

At Malcolm, Leonora, Murrin, Kookynie and the Granites, the telegraph offices are open from 8 a.m. to 7 pm. daily, but from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm are the hours observed at Niagara, Laverton, Mt Morgans, Wiluna and Sir Samuel. To take two examples, why should the important towns of Morgans and Laverton have their offices open for two hours less daily than the much less important townships of Murrin and the Granites?

There is one all-sufficient reason. That reason is departmental stupidity. But if the department ordains that the office at Mt Morgans shall be open for short hours, it seeks to make some recompense by the most lavish extravagance in another direction. It requires that a score — nay two or three score — of messengers shall be employed to dance attendance upon the residents of the town and see that they get their messages at some time or other.

But the department is not extravagant with its own money. It is extravagant with the residents' money in requiring them to employ their own messengers or to devote much of their valuable time in going for their own messages. There are just as many telegraph messengers in Mt Morgans as there are persons who receive telegrams but the fact is that the department has not employed a messenger for the past couple of months and business people have to make a practice of calling frequently to ascertain if there are any wires for them.

One messenger, who was formerly employed, obtained a position on a mine at £2 10s per week and a notice was posted at the telegraph office invitiug applications for the position of messenger at a salary of £l per week. It goes without saying that no boy was anxious to work for this princely salary; and until a sufficient wage is offered, the people must continue to be their own messengers.

This is not the only complaint that is made. In addition to the hours being short through the late opening and early closing, the  telegraph office is practically closed from 10.30 to 11 a.m., and from 1.45 to 2.30 p.m. daily while mails are being sorted.

To sum up: the department shows a shameful disregard for the convenience of the people of Mt Morgans, who have submitted too long and too tamely to their shabby treatment".