Western Australia: 1869-1988.
Telegraph Offices in the Wheatbelt region.


 

The Wheatbelt region extends west from Perth to just past Southern Cross. To the north of Perth it extends to past Dundaragan. To the south it extends to just beyond Arthur River and inland from Collie.

Given the nature of the development of the telegraph lines south from Perth, it is more convenient to include the Wheatbelt Southern region in the Southern region.

Berkshire Valley.

About 1860, George Clinch changed the name of his property from Babano to Berkshire Valley.

The Berkshire Valley Telegraph Office opened on 1 March 1874. It was operated by Miss Clinch from her homestead. The Office was upgraded to a Post & Telegraph Office on 1 January 1884.

The combined Office closed on 28 February 1891. It then reopened on 20 September 1894 but then closed forever on 30 November 1898.

It is unsure if any date stamps were issued to Berkshire Valley. Gouldner (p. 7) hypothesises that three date stamps might have been available during the 1874 to 1891 period including at least one for a Post & Telegraph Office.

Beverley.

The Post & Telegraph Office was opened on 6 Dcember 1877. The Post Office had previously been opened on 1 May 1858.

A rubber oval POST & TELEGRAPH OFFICE date stamp
(RO7-P&TO) is considered to have been issued to the office but no other details are recorded.

Rated: RRRR.

 

Chidlow's Well.

A Post Office was established on 11 January 1891. It was then upgraded to a Post & Telegraph Office on 31 March 1897.

It is reported that a rubber oval POST & TELEGRAPH OFFICE date stamp (RO7-P&TO) was issued to the Office:

Used: about 1914.

Size:

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 0.

 

Cunderdin.

Just east of Northam.

The Office opened as a Receiving Office on 1 July 1902 and became an Official Office on 1 July 1911.

The Office was issued with a rubber oval POST & TELEGRAPH OFFICE date stamp (RO4-P&TO):

Used in blue: 12 February 1915 (only known example).

Size: 25 × 43 mm (e = 0.81).

Rating: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 1.

Cunderdin 1915
12 February 1915.

Dandaragan.

In the early days - from 1 July 1853 - Dandaragan was classified as a Stopping Place for the mails and it was centered on the Police Station. Constable Goldwyer was in charge. It remained on the main northern mail route until the route was changed to the inland on 8 January 1867.

A Post & Telegraph Office was opened on 15 August 1896. It was downgraded to an Allowance Office on 1 June 1904.

 

   

Dowerin.

The Post Office at Dowerin opened on 1 September 1906. It became an Official Office (with Telegraph facilities) on 1 July 1912.

A rubber oval POST & TELEGRAPH date stamp (RO4 - P&TO) was issued to the office for use with telegraphs.

Used in blue: 24 July 1915 and 6 August 1915.

Size: 25 × 42 mm (e = o.80).

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 2.

July 1915
24 July 1915.

 

Dowerin 1914
6 August 1915.

Gingin.

The Telegraph Office opened on 27 October 1876.

Gingin is in the centre of a rich agricultural district.

As no special date stamps for use with Telegraphs were issued to the office, the usual post office date stamp was used for telegraphic purposes. There were several formats used. An early format was framed with a 2 digit month and a 2 digit year:

Used: 28 May 1897.

Diameter: 21.5 mm.

Rated: RRR.

Number in the Census: 1.

Gin Gin
28 May 1897.

Kellerberrin.

The Post & Telegraph Office opened on 1 September 1894 as Kellerberin and changed to Kellerberrin about 1900(?)

At least three formats of rubber oval date stamps were issued for use with telegraphs:

  1. A rubber oval TELEGRAPH OFFICE date stamp (RO6 - TO):

Used in violet: 29 January 1896 and 1898.

Rated: RRR.

Goulder implies this date stamp had "Kellerberrin". If correct, this date stamp is unlisted elsewhere with the one "R" in "..BERIN".

Keller 1896
29 January 1896 (ERD).
Keller 1897
5 June 1897.
  1. A rubber oval POST & TELEGRAPH OFFICE date stamp (RO4 - P&TO).
    3 letter month, 4 digit year.

Used in purple or violet: 23 and 25 June 1913 and 21 August 1915.

Size: 28 × 42 mm (e = 0.75).

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 3
Unlisted elsewhere.

Keller 1904
25 June 1913.
Keller 1915
21 August 1915.
  1. RO6 - P&TO.

Used about 1942.

Rated: RRRR.

   

Moora.

A Post & Telegraph Office was opened on 2 September 1896. A Post Office had been opened on 1 Octoner 1894.

It is reported that a rubber oval date stamp was used at the Office but no details are available.  

New Norcia.

A Post & Telegraph Office was opened on 4 March 1874 - the day when the Post Office was renamed from Victoria Plains. The Post Office had been opened on 14 April 1857. It was downgraded to an Administrative Office on 21 July 1905.

Up to the mid 1840s, New Norcia was known as Maurin Pool.

The call signal around the 1880s was NL.

Newcastle (Toodyay).

Toodyay was gazetted as Newcastle in 1860 when it was moved 2 km to higher ground to avoid flooding. In 1910, to avoid confusion with the Newcastle in NSW, the name was changed back to Toodyay.

The Telegraph Office was opened at Newcastle on 6 January 1872.

The call signal around the 1880s was N.

The Toodyay Post Office had opened on 23 April 1847 but closed during the move on 6 October 1864. It was renamed from Newcastle as a P&T Office on 6 May 1910.

In November 1891, Mr. W. Harris, the Telegraph Operator at Albany was promoted to be the Post and Telegraph Master at Newcastle.

An original postal date stamp for Toodyay - presumably used between 1847 and 1864.

Toodyay

Three rubber oval date stamps were issued to the office when it was named Newcastle for use with telegraphs:

  1. a rubber oval Telegraph Office date stamp (RO6 - TO).

Used: about 1894.

Size:

Rated: RRRR.

 

  1. a rubber oval Post & Telegraph Office date stamp (RO6 - P&TO).
    Has 2 mm side arcs.

Used: between 1898 - 1910 (when the name change occurred).

Size: 27 × 44 mm (e = 0.79).

Rated: RRR.

Number in the Census: 2.

Newcastle 1900
28 January 1900.
Used on a block of 6 1d red Swans.

1901
1 July 1901.

  1. a rubber oval Post & Telegraph Office date stamp (RO7 - P&TO).

Used: about 1906.

Size:

Rated: RRRR.

 
  1. a rubber oval Post & Telegraph Office date stamp (RO4-P&TO) with the change in mname from Newcastle to Toodyay.

Used in blue: sometime after the name change in 1910 - 9 October 1918.

Size:

Rated: RRR.

Toodyay oval
9 October 1918.
The usual postal date stamps were also used on telegrams: Toodyay 1922
28 September 1932.
Northam.

The Post Office opened at Northam on 23 April 1847 and it was upgraded to a Post & Telegraph Office on 11 January 1872.

The call signal around the 1880s was NR.

Tenders were called for a new building for the Post & Telegraph Office Quarters in the West Australian of 1 September 1892 and, on 1 October, the tender by M. Byatt and H. Cody was accepted for £975.

Northam
Northam Post & Telegraph Office about 1910.

Two oval rubber Post & Telegraph dtestamps were issued to Northam:

  1. a RO7 - P&TO.

Used: 9 July 1919
(Goulder (2002) reports its use (as an RO2-P&TO) about 1899 but no confirmation of that early use is known).

Size: 24 × 46 mm (e = 0.85).

Rated: RRRR.

Northam detail
9 July 1919.

The form (AE-DO-1D) on which the RO7-P&TO oval date stamp was used.

Indeed there are two strikes.

Northam form
  1. a RO7 - P&TO - not recorded elsewhere.

Used: about 1940.

Size: 25 × 42 mm (e = 0.80).

Rated: RRRR.

Northam 1940
2 January 1940.
 
The usual Post Office date stamp was sometimes used on telegrams.
Northam
19 July 1906.
 
Southern Cross.

The original Post Office in the area was opened at Golden Valley in 1888. After significant gold finds close to Southern Cross, the Post office was moved. As the building was to house the Post Office and Residence, the Court House and the Mining Registrar's Office, a new building was commenced. Just after construction commenced, the telegraph line arrived - with no place to be housed. The Postmaster (Mr.Harvey) therefore established a site in the middle of the main street and erected a large umbrella over the instruments. The Post Office was then upgraded to a Post & Telegraph Office on 4 February 1892.

On 2 April, the Western Mail noted that "the telegraph line, our first and only completed public work, is more than a success. It is a most profitable investment to the Government. Over eleven hundred messages have passed through this office this month".

In August 1894, Mr. J. O. Tepper was appointed Post & Telegraph Master to replace Mr Harvey.

The office was issued with three types of rubber oval date stamps for use with telegraphs:
  1. A rubber oval POST & TELEGRAPH OFFICE date stamp (RO7-P&TO):

Used: about 1898.

Size:

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 1.

Sth Cross RO7
22 February ??
  1. A rubber oval TELEGRAPH OFFICE date stamp (RO6-TO):

Used: about 1904.

Size:

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 2.

Sth cross 1904
25 May 1904.
ACE Auctions, Sale 7 Lot 690.
  1. A rubber oval POST & TELEGRAPH OFFICE date stamp (RO4-P&TO):

Used: about 1913.

Size:

Rated: RRRR.

 

An unframed steel postal date stamp was also used on telegrams.

Unframed with two arcs around W.A.

Diameter 27 mm.

Southern Cross
19 December 1895.
Used on WC-DO-2B.

Walebing

A Post Office had opened on 18 December 1866. This Office was closed on 5 April 1870.

The Office was then rebuilt and reopened as a Post & Telegraph Office opened on 12 August 1896. The new Office was constructed with stone quarried on a nearby site. It was a repeater station to assist in the transmissions of telegraphic communications between Perth and Geraldton. 

   
York.

The Telegraph Office was opened on 17 January 1872.

The call signal around the 1880s was Y.

Three rubber date stamps were issued for use with telegrams:

  1. a rubber oval TELEGRAPH OFFICE (RO6 - TO) date stamp:

Used: about 1904.

Size:

Rated: RRRR.

 

  1. a rubber oval POST & TELEGRAPH OFFICE date stamp (RO6 - P&TO).

Used: 2 March 1903.

Size:

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 1.

York
2 March 1903.

York to New York. OHMS deleted.

Provenance: Mike Brachi.
Spink 19 May 2015, Vestey Collection Lot 453.

  1. RO7 - P&TO.

Used: about 1906.

Size:

Rated: RRRR.