Victoria.
Telegraph Offices on the Western Coast line.


Belfast (Port Fairy), Portland and Warrnambool were all opened when the first line was constructed through to South Australia in 1858.

Allansford.

The Telegraph Office opened in October 1882.

No special date stamp was issued for telegraph use.

A Telegraph Office opened at the Railway Station about 1915 but closed in the same year.

Belfast (Port Fairy).

The Telegraph Office opened in March 1858.

The Post Office was renamed from Port Fairy on 1 January 1854 and was renamed back to Port Fairy on 20 July 1887.

On 14 February 1860, the Legislative Assembly objected to the amalgamation of the Belfast Post Office and Telegraph Office. The Government, however, carried the amalgamation by 28 against 23.

Two formats of date stamp were issued to the Office for use with telegraphic matters.

  1. a 1 hole Belt & Buckle date stamp. It has not been seen complete.

Used in black: 17 October 1889 (soon after the renaming).

Size:

Rated: RRRR.

 
  1. A rubber rectangular Telegraph Office date stamp (RRH1-TO).

Used in purple: 26 August 1949.

Size: 25 × 39 mm.

Rated: RRR.

 

Pt Fairy 1949
26 August 1949.
Used on AW-DO-10A(48).

A rubber rectangular Telegraph Office date stamp
(RRH1-TO) - with postcode.

Used in violet: 28 October 1981.

Size: 25 × 39 mm.

Rated: RRR.

 

Pt Fairy 1981
28 October 1981.
Port Fairy postal date stamp.

Postal date stamp used on 2d KGV Jubilee - 26 July 1935.

Port Fairy KGV 1935

 


On 18 January 1861, a major thunderstorm hit Belfast. The Banner reported as follows:

"On Tuesday morning, about 3 a.m., this town was visited with a thunderstorm exceeding in intensity anything previously remembered in these parts. For two hours, the cloud was in fearful proximity to the town, the lashing of the lightning and crashing of the thunder being almost incessant. A chimney in the house of Captain Grant was split from top to bottom by the electric fluid; in the Telegraph Office, constant watch had to be kept as the wires at the termination were at white heat and finally fused whilst the panelling was ignited in four or five places. The sight of the sparks running to and fro on the wires was very beautiful, and we believe to their conducting properties may be attributed the fact that no further damage was done. A singular feature in the storm was its suddenness".

It is not recorded if the Telegraph Operator also thought the sparks made a beautiful sight on his equipment.

Camperdown.

The Telegraph Office opened in October 1863 although, in answer to a question in the House, the Chief Secretary had indicated it would open "on the 16th (September) or at least by the end on the month".

The appointment of John Duigan to be manager of the Electric Telegraph and Collector of Imposts and also to act as Postmaster at Camperdown from the 1st October, was Gazetted on 9 October 1863.

Camperdown
The Border Watch of 22 August 1942 reported the following newsworthy item:

"Camperdown now has a girl telegraph messenger - Nancy Robins, 15-year-old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W. Robins, who began delivering telegrams on Monday, using a bicycle.

Nancy is training as a telephonist, but when the messenger, Patrick Slattery, got measles, someone had to take his place and Nancy is filling the bill well according to the post office officials. Until recently she was working in a glass factory in Geelong".

Camperdown was issued with a one hole Belt & Buckle date stamp.

 

 

Colac.

The Telegraph Office opened in the Post Office in August 1863. On 28 August 1863, Edward Smith was Gazetted to be the Manager of Electric Telegraph and Collector of Imposts and also to act as Postmaster at Colac from 20th August, 1863.

The Post Office had opened on 1 July 1848 as Lake Colac and was renamed Colac in 1854.

In 1883, Police Quarters and the Court House were converted into the Post and Telegraph Offices.

A Telegraph Office opened at the Railway Station in August 1878.

The Telegraph Office was issued with a 1 hole Belt & Buckle date stamp.
  1. Used in black: 13 January 1884 to
    2 May 1894.

Size: 27 × 38 mm
(e = 0.70).

Rated: RR.

Colac 1884
13 January 1884.
(Earliest recorded date).

Colac 1894 black
29 January 1894.
Postcard 1889 Detail
18 December 1889 on a 1d pre-printed Post Card to Melbourne.
Colac B&B Volac 1890
23 December 1890 of a 1d embossed envelope sent to BHP in Melbourne.
  1. Used in blue: 7 July 1891 to 9 October 1891.

 

Blue 1890
29 December 1890.
Colac blue 1891
6 August 1891.
About 1983, a rubber rectangular TELEGRAPH SECTION date stamp (RRH1-TS) was used in violet.

Size: 25 × 42 mm.

Rated RR.

Colac 1983
29 September 1983.
Used on AT-DO-14C.

Cudgee.

The Telegraph Office opened in November 1878.

 

Dixie.

The Telegraph line to Dixie was a short (8 km) branch from Terang. The office was opened as a R.O. on 18 August 1907 and upgraded to a Post Office on 15 August 1919. It closed on 31 December 1957.

 

A T.O. date stamp was issued to the Dixie office. Two distinct formats are recorded:

  1. top inscription is complete with T.O.

Used: 28 July 1924 and 8 August 1940.

Diameter: 27.5 mm and 4 mm side arcs.

Rated: RRR.

Dixie Jan 1937
21 January 1937.
Showing base and separation arcs.
Dixie 1937
21 September 1937.
Showing top inscription.
  1. the T.O. was removed.

Used: 20 March 1941 and 23 December 1957.

Rated: R.

 

Eurack.

Eurack is about 24 km north east of Colac and east of the line joining Colac and Cressy.

A Post Office is reported to have been opened at Eurack on 1 July 1905 when the Eurack Creamery was renamed. That Office was closed on 29 April 1961.

There has previously been no record of a separate Telegraph Office being opened at Eurack. However, the Camerdown Chronicle of 1 May 1919 carried the following story:

"A change that is to be regretted is that in the post office. About four years ago, a Post and Telegraph office was established at the residence of Mrs Graham, who has held the position of postmistress during that period. Unfortunately Mrs. Graham has tendered her resignation. Not only was she reliable, courteous and obliging to the public, but the capable manner in which she conducted the office, both for the interests of the residents and postal department, makes her position very hard to fill. Her successor is Mr. A. A. Turner".

The Office was issued with a T.O. date stamp:

Used: 24 March 1916.

Diameter: 26 mm with 5 mm side arcs.

Rated: RRRRR.

Number recorded: 1.

Eurack 1916
24 March 1916.
Pomborneit North.

The telegraph line passed by Pomborneit North east of Camperdown on Lake Corangamite above Stoneyford. It may have been constructed from a point midway between Colac and Camperdown.

The Office was opened as a RO on 1 February 1910 and changed to a PO on 1 December 1923.
It closed on 23 May 1977.

 

A T.O. date stamp was issued to the Office in 1922. Four formats were recorded:

  1. T.O. follows Office name.
    2 and 1.5 mm side arcs.

Used in black: 20 December 1922 to 11 December 1940.

Used in violet: 22 December 1922 to 1923.

Size: 28 mm.

Rated: RR.

Pomb 1926
25 July 1932.
Pomborneit
Date unclear.
  1. T.O. before Office name.
    1 mm side arcs.

Used in black: 25 July 1942 to 14 February 1945.

Size: 30 mm.

Rated: RR.

   
  1. T.O. before Office name removed.
    1 mm side arcs. Long date line.

Used in black: 13 May 1946 to 16 May 1959.

Size: 30 mm.

Rated: Common.

Pom 1949
28 January 1949.
Pom Nht type 3 LDL
17 May 1958.
  1. T.O. before Office name removed.
    1 mm side arcs. Short date line (nylon date wheels).

Used in black: 21 December 1959 and 23 May 1977.

Size: 30 mm.

Rated: Common.

Pom Type 4 1968
9 July 1960.
 
Port Fairy - see Belfast.  
Portland.

Tenders for a Telegraph Station at Beechworth closed on 3 November 1857 and it was opened in February 1858.

 

 

The Office was issued with two formats of date stamps for use with Telegrams:

Portland
  1. a 1 hole Belt & Buckle date stamp.

Used in black: 1889 to 23 February 1894.

Size: 27 × 38½ mm
(not seen complete).

Rated:

Portland 1893
Portland: 1 hole in black.
24 June 1893.
Portland 1894
Portland: 1 hole in black.
4 January 1894.
  1. a rubber oval TELEGRAPH date stamp (RO2-T):

Used in deep purple: 21 March (no date slug - only recorded date).

Size: 34 × 53 mm (e = 0.77)

Rated: RRR.

Number in the Census: 1.

Portland RO2
Portland Telegraph.
21 March (no year slug).
Stoneyford.

The telegraph line passed by Stoneyford midway between Colac and Camperdown.

The Telegraph Office was located at the Railway Station.

In 1890, the Office transmitted 201 messages and received 273.

A T.O. date stamp was issued to the office and used with two formats:

  1. T.O. preceeding Stoneyford:

Used: 27 September 1920 to 11 August 1935 .

Diameter: 27.5 mm.
3 mm side arcs.

Rated. RRR.

Stoneyford 1924
19 January 1924.
Stoneyford
4 September 1934.
Stoneyford 1935
11 August 1935.
Latest recorded date.
  1. T.O. removed.

Used:

Rated: R.

   
Terang.

The Telegraph Office opened in November 1871.

Terang

 

Terang 1933
Usual postal date stamp.
19 May 1933.
Used on AB-EO-3 delivery envelope.
 
Warrnambool.

The Telegraph Office opened in March 1858.

 

 

Warrnambool

Warnambool 2
The Office was issued with four formats of date stamps for use with Telegrams:
  1. a 1 hole Belt & Buckle date stamp:

Used in black: 1 February 1888 to 1892.

Size: 27 × 37.5 mm (0.69).

Rated: RR.

Warr Feb 1
1 February 1888 (earliest recorded date).
  1. Used in blue: 1892.

Rated: RRR.

 
A steel circular TELEGRAPHS WARRNAMBOOL date stamp (SC1-T).
  1. Long date line:

Used: 15 January 1929 to 12 May 1947.

Diameter: 29 mm.

Rated: Scarce.

Warr 1929
15 January 1929.
Used on AB-DO-4A.

 

War Telgs
12 May 1947.

 

  1. Short date line:

Used: 3 August 1983.

Rated: R.

Warr 83
3 August 1983.
   

Usual postal date stamps for Warrnambool which were also used on telegrams.

Warnam 1899
Warrnambool.
20 June 1899.
Two
line date.

Warrnam 1925
5 September 1925.
Long date line.

Diameter: 27 mm.