Victoria:
Telegraph Offices on the Suburban Lines.


Includes the Coburg Branch (Coburg and Preston) and the Flemington Branch (Flemington and Newmarket).

Abbotsford.
The Post Office - and presumably the Telegraph Office - opened on 9 January 1888.

In 1890, the Telegraph Office sent 5,888 messages and received 10,363 messages with a staff of a female operator and three telegraph messengers.

The Telegraph Office was issued with a 2 hole Belt & Buckle date stamp:

Used in black: 1890 to 1894.

Size: ?? (never seen complete).

Rated: RRRR.

 

Ascot Vale.

 

 

Two types of TELEGRAPH date stamps were issued to the office:

  1. a TELEGRAPH rectangular date stamp (RRH1-T).

Size: 25 × 37 mm.

Used: 17 January 1983 to 1984.

Rated: RRRR.

 

Ascot RRH1
17 January 1983.
  1. A TELEGRAPH oval date stamp (RO2-T).

Size: 33 × 52 mm (e = 0.77).

Used: 30 July 1986 (only recorded date).

Rated: RRRR.

Number recorded: 3.

AScot vale 1986
30 July 1986.

Ashburton.

The Post Office opened on 15 December 1927.

A rubber oval TELEGRAPH (OFFICE) ?? date stamp was used at Ashburton. It was unknown before 2017.

Used: ??

Size:

Rated: RRRRR.

Number in the Census: 1.

Ashburton
Unknown date.

Bentleigh.

The Post Office at Brighton East was renamed Bentleigh 23 March 1908. It was renamed Bentleigh East on 9 January 1928.

A second Post Office was opened with the name Bentleigh when Bentleigh est was replaced on 9 January 1928. There is no record of the date of opening of the Telegraph Office. The Mechanics Institute at Moorabbin were however asking for Telegraph "similar to those existing at Bentleigh" in April 1909.

The Telegraph Office was issued with 5 formats of date stamps between 1962 and 1987.

  1. RRV1-TO.

Size: 33½ × 29 mm.

Used: 21 December 1962 to 4 February 1963.

Rated: RRRR.

Number recorded: 1.

Bentleigh
4 February 1963.
  1. RRV1-TO.

Size: 29½ × 25½ mm.

Used: 10 March 1966.

Rated: RRRR.

 
  1. RRV1-TO.

Size: 31½ × 25½ mm.

Used: 5 August 1971.

Rated: RRRR.

 
  1. RRH1-TO.

Size: 28 × 28½ mm.

Used: 16 June 1982 to 1985.

Rated: RR.

1982
16 June 1982.
(Earliest recorded date).
  1. RRH1-TO.

Size: 38½ × 38½ mm.

Used: 18 March 1987.

Rated: RRRR.

 
Brighton.

The Telegraph Office opened in November 1872.

 

A rectangular rubber TELEGRAPH OFFICE date stamp (RRH1-TO) was used at Brighton.

Used in violet: 8 August 1988 (only recorded date).

Size: 29 × 39 mm.

Rated: RRR.

Number recorded: 3.

Brighton
8 August 1988.
Only recorded date.
Broadmeadows.

The Post Office was established on 1 January 1855 and changed name to Broadmeadows West on 3 October 1955.

A T.O. date stamp was issued to the office.

Size: 26 mm diameter.

Used 26 June 1912 to 1 September 1928.

Rated: R.

Broadmeadows TO
1 March 1922.

Three other TELEGRAPH date stamps were used at Broadmeadows.

  1. RO2-T used in violet.

Size: 31 × 56 mm (e = 0.83).

Used: 6 May 1982 - 19 January 1983.

Rated: RRR.

Broad RO2
19 January 1983.
  1. An unframed date stamp with TELEGRAPH in the top line and the date in the third line.

Size: 13 × 33 mm.

Used: 1 August 1986.

Rated: RRR.

Broad unf 1
1 August 1986.
  1. An unframed date stamp with TELEGRAPH BROADMEADOWS in the second line under the date.

Size: 13 × 33½ mm.

Used: 4 August 1988.

Rated: RRR.

 
Brunswick.

The Telegraph Office was opened in August 1872.

A two hole Belt & Buckle date stamp was issued to Brunswick:

Used in black: 31 January 1891 to 5 October 1891.

Size:

Rated:

 

An unusual (and unrecorded) rubber oval
Post & Telegraph (RO4 - P&T) date stamp was used in blue.

No details are available.

Brunswick
Date incomplete.
RO4-P&TO date stamp.
Used in blue.
Three formats of rubber oval TELEGRAPH OFFICE date stamps were issued:
  1. RO3-TO used in violet.

Size: 29 × 44 mm approximate only (e = 0.75).

Used: about 1944.

Rated: RRRR.

Brunswick RO3
16 December (about 1944).
Used on AW-DO-10B (43).
  1. RO1-TO used in violet.

Size: 32 × 49 mm (e = 0.76).

Used: 23 April 1949 (2 examples known).

Rated: RRRR.

Brunswick RO1
23 April 1949.
Used on AW-DO-10B (46).
  1. RO2-TO used in violet.

Size: 31 × 49 mm (e = 0.77).

Used: 22 April 1949 to 23 April 1949.

Rated: RRRR.

WWW report another date stamp used in 1969 but their claim is not supported.

Brunswick 1949
22 April 1949.
Used on AW-DO-10B (45, 46 and 47).

Burwood.

The Post Office was created by renaming Ballyshannassy about June 1879.

The Office was issued with an oval TELEGRAPH date stamp (RO2 - T) for use with Telegraphic matters:

Used in violet: 6 January 1972.

Size: 28 × 48 mm (e = 0.81).

Rated: RRRR.

Number Census: 1.

Burwood
6 January 1972.
Image by courtesy of Brian Sampson.
Camberwell.

The Telegraph Office

 

Four formats for TELEGRAPH date stamps were issued to Camberwell Telegraph Office:

  1. a steel circle (SC1-T):

Size: 31 mm diameter.

Used: 24 March 1945.

Rated: RRRR.

 
  1. a rubber rectangular date stamp (RRH1-T).

Size: 31 × 50 mm.

Used: 14 April 1980 to 11 January 1985.

Rated: RR.

 
  1. a rubber rectangular date stamp (RRH1-T).

Size: 31 × 50 mm.

Used: 14 April 1980 to 11 January 1985.

Rated: RR.

 
  1. a rubber rectangular date stamp (RRH1-T).

Size: 31 × 50 mm.

Used: 14 April 1980 to 11 January 1985.

Rated: RR.

Camb type 4
30 August 1982.

Canterbury

The

 

The Office was issued with a TELEGRAPH OFFICE rectangular date stamp (RRV - TO) which was used in violet.

Size: 34 × 31 mm.

Used: 23 March 1955.

Rated: RRRR (unrecorded in Watson et al (1989).)

Canterbury
23 March 1955.

Used on AW-GCF-54A.

Carlton.

The Telegraph Office opened in February 1875.

At the end of February 1882, the Postmaster-General asked the Minister of Works to call for tenders to erect a new Post and Telegraph Office at Carlton.

Carlton was issued with a 1 hole Belt & Buckle date stamp.

Used in black: 3 May 1882 to 28 May 1894.

Size: 27 × 37 mm (e = 0.68).

Rated: RRR.

with frank
1 September 1891.
Carlton 1882
3 May 1892.
Provenance:
Hugh Freeman, Johnstone
.
Carlton South.

 

 

A rubber Telegraph Office date stamp (RO6-TO) was issued to the Telegraph Office.

Size: 30 × 50 mm (e = 0.80).

Used: 2 February 1982.

Rated: RRRR.

Carl south
2 February 1982.

Used on AT-DO-15B.

Carnegie.

The Post Office opened on 1 September 1911.

 

 
The Telegraph Office was issued with a rectangular date stamp inscribed TELEGRAPH SECTION (RRH1-TS).

Size: 29 × 43 mm.

Used 20 April 1979.
(WWW note that 10 June 1980 was the only date on which it was used).

Rated: RRR.

Carnegie 1979
20 April 1979.

Caulfield.

The Telegraph Office opened in

 

 

 
Two rubber oval date TELEGRAPH OFFICE stamps were issued to Caulfield. Both formats had CAULFIELD S.E.8 at the base.
  1. a RO6-TO:

Used in violet: 24 March 1939 to 7 May 1940.

Size: 27 × 45 mm (e = 0.80).

Rated: RRRR.

RO6-TO Caul 1
24 March 1939.

Used on AB-GBE-34Cb.

  1. RO2 - TO.

Used in purple: 3 October 1942.

Size: 30 × 46 mm (e = 0.76).

Rated: RRRR.
Unrecorded in Watson et al.

 

Caulfield TO 1942
3 October 1942.

Used on AW-DO-9D.

PUBLIC BUILDINGS AT CAULFIELD.
Argus 5 July 1883.

"The president and council of the Shire of Caulfield waited on the Postmaster-General yesterday, and desired the Government to contribute towards the erection of a post and telegraph office in connexion with a shire hall and court house which are to be built at the corner of the Glen Eira and Hawthorn roads.

Mr. Berry said his department had had in contemplation for some time past the providing of the Caulfield district with a post and telegraph office The idea of the department was to erect a building on a part of the railway reserve in the Glen Huntly road. The deputation, however, thought that the site in the Glen Huntly road would not be central, and the residents in public meeting assembled had decided that the site suggested by the deputation would be the most suitable.

Mr. Berry then promised that he would send an inspector to go over the district with the president of the shire, and to furnish a report as to what would be the most suitable position. If the shire council would give a piece of land free of cost, he would favourably consider their application as soon as funds were available".

Caulfield East.

The Post Office was originally opened as a Receiving Office on 6 December 1888 and was upgraded to a Post Office about 1902.

On 1 February 1928 it changed name to Malvern East but changed back to Caulfield East on 1 October 1929.

Three formats of rubber date stamps are known used at Caulfield East:

  1. a rubber oval POST & TELEGRAPH (RO6-P&TO) date stamp used in red.

Size: 28 × 48 mm (e = 0.81).

Used: 7 May 1940 (only recorded example).

Rated: RRRR.

Caulfield East red
7 May 1940 (only recorded example).
  1. a rubber rectangular TELEGRAPH OFFICE date stamp (RRH1-TO) used in violet.

Size: 25 × 44 mm.

Used: 15 December 1956 (only recorded example).

Rated: RRRR.

Not listed in Watson et al.

 

Caul East 1956
15 December 1956 (only recorded example).

Used on AW-GCF-54Ab.

  1. a rubber circular TELEGRAPH OFFICE date stamp
    (RC1-TO) used in red.

Size: 33 mm diameter.

Used: 6 December 1976 to 6 January 1977.
Not listed in Watson et al.

Rated: RRRR.

CE TO 1977
6 January 1977 on telegram piece.
CE 1977 postal

Caulfield East postal date stamp.
17 June 1977.
Diameter: 34 mm.

$3.40 charges paid with stamps on a
AA-TO-13Ab transmission form.

Caulfield South.  
Three formats for date stamps used for telegraphs were issued to the Caulfield South office. Two of these had the words TELEGRAPH OFFICE while the third had TELEGRAPH.
  1. RRH-TO with thin letters in violet.

Size: 25 × 37 mm.

Used: 17 May 1956 (only recorded date - not listed in WWW).

Rated: RRRR.

Caulf Sth 1956
17 May 1956.

Used on AW-GCF-54B

  1. RRH-TO with thicker letters in violet.

Size: 25 × 35 mm.

Used: 6 July 1968 (only recorded date - not listed in WWW).

Rated: RRRR.


Caulfield south
6 July 1968.

Used on AA-DO-13D.

  1. RRH-T in violet.

Size: 25 × 43 mm.

Used: 15 June 1957 (only recorded date - is listed in WWW).

Rated: RRRR.

 

Caul Sth T
15 June 1987.
Caulfield Racecourse.

The Telegraph Office opened about 1933 and closed about 1960.

It was issued with a usual circular CAULFIELD RACES date stamp and used on 20 October 1956.

A Telegraph Office Racecourse date stamp was used on 12 January 1957. It was steel and circular with a 28 mm diameter.

It is rated RRRR.

Cheltenham.

 

 

A rubber rectangular TELEGRAPH OFFICE date stamp
(RRH1-TO) was issued to the office for use with telegraphic work.

Size: 25½ × 48 mm.

Used: 17 April 1975 to 20 August 1985.

Rated: RRR.

Chelt 1975
17 April 1975 (earliest recorded date).

Used on AA-DO-13D.

Chelt RRH-TO
20 August 1985 (latest recorded date).

Clayton.

 

 
The Telegraph Office was issued with a rubber oval TELEGRAPH SECTION date stamp (RO2 - TO).

Size: 33 × 52 mm (e = 0.77).

Only recorded example.

Rated: RRRRR.

Clayton
20 March 1971.

Coburg.

The Telegraph Office was opened in August 1873 in the building occupied by the Post Office. The name of the office had been changed from Pentridge in 1870.

A new building was announced in May 1889 - to replace the structure "which had given service for a quarter of a century".

Coburg 1939
Coburg usual Post Office date stamp.
13 September 1939.

Used on AB-GB-39.

The Office was issued with four formats for rubber TELEGRAPH OFFICE date stamps.

  1. TELEGRAPH OFFICE/COBURG (RRH1-TO):

Size: 25 × 43 mm.

Used: 22 November 1957.

Rated: RRR.

Not listed in WWW.

 

Coburg RRH 57
22 November 1957.

Used on AA-DO-13A.

  1. TELEGRAPH OFFICE/COBURG 3058 (RRH1-TO).

Used: 4 May 1982 to 15 January 1986.

Size: 34½ × 45 mm.

Rated: RRR.

Not listed in WWW.

Coburg type 2
18 March 1983.
  1. COBURG VIC 3058/TELEGRAPH OFFICE (RC1-TO).

Used in violet ink: 11 February 1987 to 19 September 1988.

Size: 32 mm diameter.

Rated: RR.

 
  1. COBURG VIC 3058/TELEGRAPH OFFICE (RC1-TO).

Used in blue: 19 September 1988.

Size: 32 mm diameter.

Rated: RR.

 

East Melbourne.

The Telegraph Office and the Post Office were opened on 1 August 1884 about 2.5 km east of the G.P.O.

The office was issued with a 1 hole Belt & Buckle date stamp:
  1. used in black: 29 July 1889 to
    24 October 1894;

Size: 27 × 38 mm (e = 0.70).

Rated: RRR.

 

 

East M Statute
29 July 1889 (earliest recorded date).
Only known complete cover with a Belt & Buckle cancelling a Stamp Statute.

Provenance: Hugh Freeman, Johnstone.

East Melbourne 1 hole Belt & Buckle used in black on a cover to Waverley. East 1890
30 April 1890.
Provenance: Max Watson, Johnstone.
East Melbourne 1 hole Belt & Buckle used in black on an unaddressed Letter Card. East Mel 1891
19 February 1891.
  1. Used in blue: 3 April 1891 and 14 September 1891 (2 strikes).
    (only recorded dates).

Size: 27 × 38 mm (e = 0.70).

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 2.

Tied with two strikes of the East Melbourne Belt & Buckle date stamp in blue.

This is one on four recorded items sent to an overseas destination with a Belt & Buckle date stamp.

Blue B&B
14 September 1891 - two strikes in blue.

Torsten Weller noted that the 3d red postal card is inscribed "FOR THE UNITED KINGDOM VIA ITALY". It was sent to Germany and additionally franked with a 2d violet Naish and a 1d brown cut-out from a postal card to pay the 6d pre-UPU foreign ship latter rate.

The concessional 2d or 3d postcard rates (depending on the route) only applied to cards sent to the United Kingdom. Postcard rates to other countries were not introduced until after Victoria joined the UPU in October 1891. Steig states (p.30) that "cards used during the correct period (prior to 1 October 1891) are very scarce.

Elsternwick.

The Telegraph Office opened in 1886.

It was soon assigned to the telegraph line linking Albert Park via St. Kilda to Brighton.

The site on which a new building could be erected was long debated. For example, the Oakleigh Leader of 2 June 1888 reported: "The Elsternwick Improvement Committee last Wednesday evening unanimously decided that, as the question of the most suitable site for the new Post and Telegraph office was of such public importance, they would leave the residents in the immediate vicinity to settle the question amongst themselves.

Elsternwick
We learn that a petition praying for it to be on the eastern side of the line is being numerously signed and also the residents of the western side have bestirred themselves and they too, have a counter petition to which a very large number of signatures are being attached".
The new Post and Telegraph Office was opened on 11 September 1891 (12 months after tendering) by the Premier (Mr. Munro) because the Postmaster-General (Mr. Duffy) was sick. Amongst the speeches, a reference to "the federation question" on the grounds of it being "within the range of practical politics". In another speech, the local Member (Mr. Bent) indicated "he was pledged to support (the Women's Franchise Bill) but if women had a vote he would support the granting of two votes to men" (The Argus). Elsternwick 2

Elsternwick was issued with two types of date stamp for use with telegraphic matters:

  1. a 2 hole Belt & Buckle date stamp.

Used in black: 7 September 1892 to 19 September 1893.

Size:

Rated: RRR.

 
  1. a rectangular rubber TELEGRAPH date stamp
    (RRH1-T).

Used in violet: 5 January 1972.

Size: 26 × 49 mm.

Rated: RRRR.

Number recorded: 1.

Elsternwitk T
5 January 1972.
Image by courtesy of Brian Sampson.

Postal date stamps were also applied telegrams:

 

Elsternwick
Standard Elsternwick date stamp (5 mm arcs).
Diameter 28.5 mm.
Applied (very late) to the two stamps in the 1900 Charity issue
for the Patriotic Fund/Boer War.
22 September 1911.
Elwood.

The Post Office opened on 31 March 1914.

 

A Post & Telegraph Office rubber date stamp (RO6-P&TO) with S3 after Elwood was used in violet.

Size: 32 × 52 mm (e = 0.79)

Used: 1941 to 31 December 1943.

Rated: RR.

Elwood 1942
10 February 1942.

Used on AB-GBF-39B.

Emerald Hill
Name changed to South Melbourne on 21 November 1883.

 

Essendon.

The Telegraph Office was opened in August 1878 at the Railway Station.

 
Essendon was issued with three types of date stamp for use with telegrams in addition to the usual postal date stamp which was also used on telegrams: Essendon
  1. a 1 hole Belt & Buckle date stamp.

Used in black: July 1891 to 15 June 1894.

Size: 27 × 38 mm (e = 0.70).

Rated: RR.

Essen 1894
30 March 1894.

  1. a rubber oval TELEGRAPH date stamp (RO2-T) was used in violet.

Size: 29 × 47 (e = 0.79).

Use: 19 February 1982 (only recorded date).

Rated: RRR.

Essend 1982
19 February 1982.
  1. a narrower rubber oval TELEGRAPH date stamp (RO2-T) was used in violet.

Size: 27½ × 47½ mm (e = 0.82).

Use: 23 January 1985 to 30 June 1986.

Rated: RRR.

 

Essendon 1981
30 June 1986 (latest recorded date).

Fairfield.

The Office was reclassified as a Post Office on 4 April 1887 having been opened as a Receiving Office on 21 February 1887.

Details of the Telegraph Office are not known.

Fairfield is about 7 km NE of the GPO and between two of the branches of the NE Suburban lines.

Four formats of rubber TELEGRAPH OFFICE rubber date stamps are recorded and they were issued from 1971.

1. oval TELEGRAPH OFFICE with postcode only.

Used in violet: 13 July 1971.

Size: 32 mm high (not seen complete).

Rated: RRRR.

Number recorded: 1.

 
2. oval TELEGRAPH OFFICE with postcode only (RO2-TO).

Used in violet: 6 May 1972.

Size: 34 × 49 mm (e = 0.72).

Rated: RRRR.

Number recorded: 1.

Fairfield 1972

3. oval TELEGRAPH OFFICE with postcode only.

Used in red: 13 November 1975.

Size: 35 × 52 mm (e = 0.74).

Rated: RRRR.

Number recorded: 1.

 

4. circular TELEGRAPH OFFICE with phone number and postcode.

Used in violet: 4 June 1976 to 2 February 1977.

Diameter: 28.5 mm.

Rated: RRR.

 

Fitzroy.

"Mr. Tucker, M.L A., yesterday introduced a deputation from Fitzroy to the Postmaster-General, to urge the necessity for the establishment of a more suitable Receiving House in the town and also of a Telegraph Office. It was pointed out that Fitzroy, which had a population of 18,000, was the only town in the colony which had not a Post and Telegraph Office, there being only a Receiving house for letters at a bookseller's shop in Brunswick Street. As there is no Telegraph Office, residents of Fitzroy desiring to send telegrams have to go to Collingwood or Melbourne. It was suggested that the building adjoining the Receiving Office should be rented, it now being available to let, and turned into a Telegraph Office. Mr. Lalor requested the deputation to write to him on the subject, giving particulars as to the estimated cost of the proposal".

The Argus, 16 June 1877.

The Telegraph Office was opened in September 1877.

At the end of February 1882, the Postmaster General asked the Minister of Works to call for tenders to erect a new Post and Telegraph Office at Fitzroy.

Fitzroy was issued with three formats of date stamps for use with telegrams:

  1. a 1 hole Belt & Buckle date stamp.

Used in black: 15 December 1891 and 3 July 1894.

Size: 27 × 38½ mm (e = 0.71).

Rated: R and RRR (complete).

Number in the Census: 10
Complete examples are rare.

Fitzroy B&B
Used at Fitzroy 31 May 1893 on a Reply Paid Telegram delivery envelope (VC-ER-1).
  Fitzroy
15 December 1891
(earliest recorded date).
Fitzroy 1894
17 March 1894.
Provenance: Hugh Freeman.
Fitz lrd
3 July 1894
(latest recorded date).
  1. Rectangular rubber TELEGRAPH OFFICE date stamp
    (RRH - TO).

Used in violet: 9 February 1948 and 16 March 1950.

Size: 25 × 43 mm.

Rated: RRRR.

Number recorded: 2.

 

Fizroy 1948
9 February 1948 (earliest recorded date).
Used on AW-DO-10 (1945).
  Fitzroy TO
2 June 1948.

Used on a delivery envelope to Leeds, England.
Postal date stamp for AIR MAIL SECTION of 1 June.

  1. A rubber TELEGRAPH oval date stamp
    (RO2-T).

Used in violet: 17 September 1956.

Size: 32 × 50 mm (e = 0.77).

Rated: RRRR.

Number recorded: 1.

Fitzroy RO2
17 September 1956.

Fitzroy North.

The Telegraph Office was opened in April 1879.

   
Footscray.

The Telegraph Office was opened in October 1873.

 

 

Footscray
The Office was issued with three types of date stamp which were used with telegrams.
  1. a two hole Belt and Buckle date stamp.

Used in black: 30 October 1888 to 1894.

Size: 27 × 39 mm (no previous example has been as complete).

Rated: RRR.

Footscray 1890
15 November 1893.


Commercial Bank of Australia PSE postcard to Carlton with Footscray 2 hole Belt & Buckle date stamp applied in black. Footscray card
  1. the usual Post Office date stamp.

Diameter: 29 mm.

Footscray 1936
12 December 1936.

Used on Congratulations form AB-GCF-34B.

 
  1. a rectangular rubber TELEGRAPH SECTION date stamp (RRH1-TS) with Office and Postcode.

Used: 18 March 1982 with date right justified in violet ink.
15 March 1983 to 23 June 1988 with date centered in violet ink
and on 15 March 1983 in magenta ink.

Size: 26½ × 37 mm.

Rated RRR.

Footscray 1982
18 March 1982 - only recorded date for date right justified.
Foot center
23 June 1988 - date centered.

Footscray West.

Footscray West opened as a Post Office in December 1916 having been a Receiving Office since 15 April 1914.

Two formats of rubber oval TELEGRAPH OFFICE date stamps were used:

  1. a RO2-TO in violet.

Size: 32 × 51 mm (e = 0.78).

Use: 19 and 21 November 1964.

Rated: RRR.

Footscray W 1964
21 November 1964.

Used on AA-DO-13C.

  1. a RO2-TO in violet.

Size: 29 × 43 mm (e = 0.73).

Used: 13 August 1985 to 2 April 1987.

Rated RRR.

Footscray West 1987
2 April 1987 (latest recorded date).
Glenroy.

The Telegraph Office

 

 

Three types of rubber TELEGRAPH OFFICE date stamps were issued to Glenroy for use with telegrams.

  1. RRH1 -TO.

Size: 34.5 × 36 mm.

Used 2 January 1974 only.

Rated RRRR.

 
  1. RRH1-TO with postcode and phone number.

Size: 35 × 37 mm.

Used: 6 May 1982 only.

Rated: RRR.

Glenroy
6 May 1982 (only recorded date).
  1. RRH1-TO with postcode and phone number.

Size: 32.5 × 37.5 mm.

Used: Used 19 November 1984 only.

Rated: RRR.

 
Hotham.

The Telegraph Office was opened in June 1875 while the combined Post and Telegraph Office was opened in July 1876. The Argus of 10 July 1876 described

"A fine public building, consisting of town hall, post and telegraph offices, and court house, has been erected at Hotham, a populous suburb of Melbourne. The edifice, which has a tower 150 ft in height, is one of the finest of the kind in the colony. It has been cheaply constructed, however, the cost being only £12,000. The buildings were recently opened with a banquet and ball".

The Office was issued with a 1 hole Belt & Buckle date stamp.

Used in black between 13 January 1885 to 20 September 1887.

Size: 27 × 38 mm (e = 0.70).

Rated: RRR.

Hotham
29 August 1887.
Kew.

The Telegraph Office was opened in February 1875. The 1874 Annual Report noted "Poles have been extended from Hawthorn to Kew to which place a wire has been run."

The Lilydale Branch of the Melbourne NE line was constructed from Kew.

Kew Kew location
Kew Post & Telegraph Office on the corner of Cotham Road.
Kew was issued with two formats of a circular rubber TELEGRAPH OFFICE date stamp for use with Telegrams.
  1. RC1-TO - 2 digit year with ' in front.

Size: 31 mm diameter.

Used: 26 November 1979 and 23 April 1985.

Rated: RR.

Kew 1980
26 November 1979.
Violet ink.
Apr 85
23 April 1985.
Magenta ink.
  1. RC1-TO - 4 digit year just touching OFFICE.

Size: 31.5 mm diameter.

Used: 24 March 1980 and 23 April 1985.

Rated: RR.

Kew 1988
29 June 1988.
 
A straight line hand stamp KEW was also used on telegrams and delivery envelopes.

Size: 7 × 29 mm.

Kew SL
Used on AW-EU-8.
The usual Post Office date stamp was also used on telegrams.

Diameter: 30 mm.

Kew 1960
22 January 1960.
Used on AA-DO-13B.

An interesting event at Kew was reported in the Argus of 27 August 1878:

"The Rev. Duncan Fraser's lecture in the Town Hall at Kew, on Wednesday, was well attended. The subject of acoustics and the wonderful new inventions connected with this science, was popularly treated. At 9 p.m. Mr. Perrin, of the Lilydale Telegraph Office, aided by some ladies and gentlemen, began to communicate with the Kew audience by telephone and microphone. The interchange for some time was very successful. There was one interruption, which was bridged over by the continued assiduity of Mr. Challen, who assisted the lecturer and before the meeting closed very good results were again attained. The Rev. A. D. Kininmont contributed one of his readings to the near and far audience. The microphone astonished everyone by its amazing powers. Some could not recognise the watch ticking at Lilydale, on account of its very loudness and unfamiliarity to their ears, and in consequence also of other sounds mixed up with it. More practised ears, however, discerned it".

Malvern.

The Telegraph Office was opened in January 1876.

A test box at Malvern had significant responsibility for the Gippsland lines which either originated at Malvern or came from Oakleigh through that box at Malvern to Dandenong.

The office was issued with a circular rubber date stamp which was used with magenta ink.

Size: 37 mm diameter.

Used: 18 May 1984.

Rated: RRR.

Malvern
18 May 1984.
.
Moonee Ponds.

On 7 October 1887 "A deputation from the borough council of Essendon waited on the Postmaster-General and asked that a central post office and telegraph station should be erected on the public reserve, north of the Church of England, Moonee Ponds.

Mr. Derham said that he would provide in the next year's Estimates a sum sufficient for the erection of a post and telegraph station somewhere within the limits of the Moonee Ponds district, but he would not decide the site until an officer had inspected the locality and reported where the office should be placed".

On 20 October 1888, the North Melbourne Advertiser reported:

"Surely the Post and Telegraph Department never dreamt that they would be permitted to shuffle out of their obligations regarding the erection of a central post office at Moonee Ponds without some sort of remonstrance from the inhabitants of that place nor ever fancied that the exceedingly curt epistle, read at the recent meeting of the Borough Council, would be regarded as a satisfactory reply to the frequent reminders from the local Town Clerk as to Mr. Derham's promises of increased office accommodation at the Ponds and further facilities for the receipt and despatch of letters and telegrams.

The Departmental assurance, contained in the letter to the council, to the effect that the residents of the township are just as well served as they would be by a staff office, rather staggered the representatives of the ratepayers at their meeting on Monday evening. But when the latter had somewhat recovered from the shock caused by the audacious 'tarradiddle', a discussion took place which would have interested - perchance surprised - the Hon. the Postmaster General had he been there to hear. Councillor Taylor spoke of the Ministerial promise, made nearly two years since, to build a post and telegraph office in connection with the proposed courthouse, and he moved that a suitable reply be forwarded to the red-tape memorandum from Elizabeth Street. Councillor Pattison expressed surprise at any one person declaring that a building like the Moonee Ponds post office - which was full whenever two persons entered it, and 'crowded' any  time that three got in - was sufficient for the requirements of the district.

It appears to us, however, that the Postmaster General is altogether too lofty a personage to take notice of the letters written by Council's direction. The most the Essendon Council can expect from this very great man, in answer to their fortnightly appeals for consideration, is a curt note once every six months or so telling them not to bother. As it is high time the Minister was brought to his senses, we would advise councillors to cease letter writing and try the experiment of a deputation. The Minister is bound to make a note of a deputation. Letters from the council may not bore him, but a deputation from that body should prove more or less of a nuisance, and may even worry a Minister of the Crown.

Mr. Derham must he told what an important municipality Essendon is, and given clearly to understand that the populous town-hip of Moonee Ponds deserves a post office building capable of holding more than two adults at the same time".

By 1889, a decision still had not been made until the Department chose a site on the extreme west end of Puckle Street. A deputation of residents met to urge the decision to be reverse so that the new office might be in the main street (Mount Alexander Road) where it had been for the last 20 years.

A new Post Office opened at Moonee Ponds on 3 March 1952 and it was intended to erect offices with similar designs at Brunswick West, Ascotvale and Footscray West.

 

Two rubber oval TELEGRAPH OFFICE date stamps were issued to Moonee Ponds.

  1. RO1 -TO in purple.

Size: 28 × 47 mm (e = 0.80).

Used: 27 April 1946.

Rated: RRR.

 

Moonee 1946
27 April 1946.

Used on AW-DO-10A (45).

  1. RO2-TO in orange-red.

Size: 32 × 51 mm (e = 0.78).

Used: 18 May 1942(?) - 30 November 1950.

Rated: RRR.

Moonee 1950
30 November 1950.

Used on AW-DO-10B (48).

Moorabbin.

A Post Office was established as Moorabbin with a change of name from South Brighton on 17 May 1909. A Telegraph Office was established soon after at the Post Office. Telegraph Offices had opened at East and South Brighton in July 1892.

In July 1909 the telegraph lines between Moorabbin and East St. Kilda were blown down in a storm and interrupted communications for several hours.

A rectangular horizontal TELEGRAPH rubber date stamp (RRH1-T) was issued to the Telegraph Office. It was used with both black and violet ink.

Size: 28 × 45 mm.

Use: 8 June 1955 to 12 November 1955.

Rated: RR.

Moor June
8 June 1955 in black.
Date not horizontal.

Used on AW-DO-10A (51).

Moor low
12 November 1955.
Date low.

Used on AW-GC-54B.

The variations in the format of the letters in the date and the placement of the date show that the date was a separate hand-stamp.

Hence after the rectangular TELEGRAPH imprint had been made, the date would then have been added.

Left
11 November 1955.
Date moved to the left.

Used on AW-GC-54B.

Diag
12 November 1955.
Date is diagonal.

Used on AW-GS-54A.

 

reversed
11 November 1955.
Date inverted.

Used on AW-GC-54B.

 
Niddrie.

The Telegraph Office at Niddrie was opened in ??

A rubber oval TELEGRAPH SECTION date stamp was used in violet.

Size: 32½ × 51½ mm (e = 0.78).

Used: 19 February 1982.

Rated: RRR.

Niddrie
19 February 1982.
North Melbourne.

The Telegraph Office was opened at North Melbourne ...

Three types of date stamp were issued to the Post & Telegraph Office.

  1. a 2 hole Belt & Buckle date stamp:

Used in black: 3 January 1888 to 1892.

Size: 28 × 40 mm (e = 0.71).

Rated: RR.

Nth Melb
3 January 1888 (earliest recorded date).

Used in blue: 26 November 1888.

Size: 28 × 40 mm (e = 0.71)

Rated: RRRR.

 
  1. A rubber oval Telegraph Office date stamp (RO3 - TO).

Used in violet: 21 December 1940 to 30 December 1940.

Size: 28 × 48 mm (e = 0.81).

Rated: RRR.

NM RO3
30 December 1940.
 
  1. A rubber oval Telegraph Office date stamp (RO2 - TO).

Used in violet: 8 December 1975 to 3 February 1982.

Size: 30 × 47 mm (e = 0.77).

Rated: RRR.

Nth Melb RO2 1976
5 April 1976.
Nth Melb 1982
3 February 1982.
Prahran.

The Telegraph Office was opened in August 1872 after telegraphic communication had been established on 1 August.

Prahran was issued with three types of date stamp for use with telegrams.

Prahran 1889
24 June 1889.
Scarce use of a Belt & Buckle on
a 3/- Stamp Duty - less than 20 recorded on any denomination.
Provenance: Hugh Freeman, Johnstone.

Prahran 1890
Example showing one clear hole although date not complete.
  1. a one hole Belt & Buckle date stamp.

Used: 30 September 1881 to
16 September 1891.

Size: 27 × 38 mm (e = 0.70).

Rated: RR.

Prahran 1891
16 September 1891 (latest recorded).
Prahran 1891
16 September 1891.
Detail above and complete cover to right.
Scarce use of a Belt & Buckle date stamp used on a cover to an overseas destination
(see also Kerang).

Prahran Canada
8 May 1893.

Mossgreen March 2015, Lot 132.


Used in blue: 24 June 1889 to 30 December 1893.

Size: 27 × 38 mm (e = 0.70).

Rated: RRRR.



 
  1. a rubber oval TELEGRAPH OFFICE (RO3-TO) date stamp.

Used in violet: 23 August 1940.

Size: 28 × 47 mm (e = 0.80).

Rated: RRR.

Prahran 1940
23 August 1940.

Used on AB-DO-8H.


  1. a rubber oval TELEGRAPH OFFICE (RO7-TO) date stamp.

Used in violet: 25 January 1974

Size: 33 × 52 mm (e = 0.77).

Rated: RRR.

 

Prahran 1974
25 January 1974.

Used on AA-DO-13D.

 

Reservoir.

A Receiving Office was opened about 1921. A Post (& Telegraph?) Office was opened on 11 October 1926.

A Telegraph Office was opened at the Railway Station about 1910 when the Preston Reservoir Railway Station was renamed. That Office was closed on 24 August 1924. It may therefore have been merged with the Post Office.

The Telegraph Office was issued with a rubber rectangular TELEGRAPH OFFICE date stamp (RRH1-TO).

Used: 22 September 1975.

Size: 23 × 37 mm.

Rated: RRR.

Number in the Census: 1.

Reservoir 1975
22 September 1975.
Richmond.

The Telegraph Office was opened in January 1872.

 

Richmond 1880
Richmond Post & Telegraph Office about 1880.

Richmond was issued with three formats of date stamps for use with telegraphic matters:

  1. a 1 hole Belt & Buckle date stamp.

Used in black: 21 June 1880 to
10 May 1894.

Size: 27 × 38 mm (e = 0.70).

Rated: R.

Richmond B&B 1800
21 June 1880.
Earliest recorded date for a B&B at Richmond.
The 3rd earliest recorded use of a Belt & Buckle date stamp
(behind Clunes on 1 April 1880 and Collingwood 11 June 1880).

Used in blue; 11 April 1883 to 16 September 1886

Size: 27 × 38 mm (e = 0.70).

Rated: RR.

Richmond blue
11 April 1883.
Earliest recorded date at Richmond.
  1. a rubber rectangular TELEGRAPH date stamp (RRH1-T) with:

Used in purple: 12 January 1970.

Size: 28 × 43 mm.

Rated: RRR.

Richmond T
12 January 1970.
Used on AA-EO-18C (printed 1968).
  1. a rubber circular TELEGRAPH OFFICE (RC2-TO) date stamp:

Used: 6 July 1971.

Size: 32 mm.

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 1.
(no other example recorded by specialists).

Richmond RC2
6 July 1971.
Used on AA-EC-3A.
Provenance: Gary Watson, Johnstone.
Postal date stamps used on telegrams at Richmond. Richmond 1880 Richmond 1897
Richmond South.

The Telegraph Office was opened in April 1876. There was certainly some opposition to this office - in the Legislative Assembly on 8 March 1876, it was stated that

"there was no objection to the establishment of a post office savings bank in Swan Street, South Richmond, but that it was thought the establishment of a telegraph office there would not benefit the district".

Rich_sth
Richmond South was issued with a 1 hole Belt & Buckle date stamp.

Used in black: 10 June 1891 to
20 December 1892.

Size: 28 × 39 mm (e = 0.70).

Rated: RRR

Number in the Census: 3.

Rich sth
10 June 1891.
Cover from Richmond South to Melbourne.
Chris Rainey March 2014.

  Rich Sth 1892
20 December 1892.
Provenance: Hugh Freeman, Johnstone.
The usual postal date stamp for Richmond South was also used on telegrams. Richmond Sth 1901
23 May 1901.

St. Albans.

The Telegraph Office was opened

 

An oval rubber TELEGRAPH OFFICE date stamp (RO2-TO) was issued to the Office.

Used: 15 April 1983 (only recorded date).

Size: 31 × 50 mm (e = 0.78).

Rated: RR.


15 vApril 1983.
St. Kilda.

The Telegraph Office was opened in February 1871 although the three mile telegraph line had been completed in 1870. In February 1875, tenders were called for the construction of a new Post & Telegraph Office.

 

St Kilda

 

St Kilda 1880
High Street in St. Kilda about 1880.

St. Kilda was issued with a 1 hole Belt & Buckle date stamp which was used in black.

Size:

Used: 17 February 1891 and
17 September 1894.

Rated: RR.

St Kilda 1892
29 June 1892.

Provenance: Elsmore.

St. Kilda
15 June 1894.

Provenance: Freeman.

 

St K 10d PD
18 August 1892.
Rare combination of the Belt & Buckle on this scarce 10d Postage Due.
1 hole Belt & Buckle complete strike in black on cover - only recorded complete strike. St K cover
17 February 1891.
Cover to Melbourne from St. Kilda.

Prestige Philately Sale 173 (May 2012) Lot 730.
Millennium Auctions Sale 57 (December 2013) Lot 365.

Rubber oval TELEGRAPH OFFICE date stamps were issued much later in at least four formats:
  1. RO3-TO in violet.
    Has 4 mm side decorations of a vertical line from a horizontal in opposite directions on either side.

Size: 28 × 47 mm (e = 0.82).

Used: 1 November 1941 to
5 September 1944.

St Kilda 1940
1 November 1941.

Used on Congratulations form AB-GCF-39B.

St K 1944
30 August 1944.

Used on AW-DO-10 (1943).

  1. RO6-TO in violet.
    Has 1 mm side arcs;

Size: 32 × 51 mm (e = 0.78).

Used: 15 June 1954.

Rated: RRRR (only recorded example).

St K 1954
15 June 1954.

Used on a delivery form AW-DO-10 (43)
with an international label (AW-LI-6B).

 
  1. RO2-TO in violet.
    No side arcs but has a district number.

Size: 29 × 53 mm (e = 0.84).

Used: 26 August 1965.

Rated: RRRR (only recorded example).

St K 1965
26 August 1965.

Used on a delivery form AA-DO-13D with
an OVERSEAS TELEGRAM label.

 
  1. RO6-TO in violet.
    No side arcs but has postcode.

Size: 32 × 52 mm (e = 0.79).

Used: 13 May 1982 to 22 January 1987.

Rated: RR.

 

St K 1982
13 May 1982 (earliest recorded date).

 

St. Kilda West.

The Telegraph Office was opened in December 1878.

 

South Melbourne (previously Emerald Hill).

The Telegraph Office opened about 8 February 1872. The Argus reported on that day:

"The electric telegraph has been extended to Emerald Hill and the new post and telegraph office in Clarendon Street, near Dorcas Street, is now open and available to the public. This extension will supply a want that has been long felt in one of the busiest suburbs".

The name was changed to South Melbourne on 21 November 1883.

 

The office was issued with two formats for date stamps used with telegraphic matters:

  1. A one hole Belt and Buckle date stamp.

Used in black: 17 December 1886 to 2 February 1894.

Size: 26.5 × 37.5 mm (e = 0.71).

Rated: RR.

 

Sth Melb 1886
17 December 1886.
(earliest recorded date).
 
Cover front Detail
2 February 1894.
(latest recorded date).

Belt & Buckle date stamp was applied to the flap on the reverse side - probably as an arrival backstamp on a cover from England.

Scarce usage of a Belt & Buckle date stamp on Stamp Duty stamps. Sth Melb 1892
28 September 1892.
St Melb 26
South Melbourne: 1 hole
on 2/6 Stamp Duty.
20 December 1893.

Provenance: Hugh Freeman, Johnstone.

Sth Melb 5 bob
South Melbourne: 1 hole
on 5/- Stamp Duty.
8 June 1893.

Provenance: Hugh Freeman, Johnstone.

  1. a rectangular rubber TELEGRAPH SECTION date stamp (RRH1-TS):

Used in violet: 28 December 1983 (only recorded date).

Size: 28 × 49 mm.

Rated: RR.

 

 

Sth Melb TS
28 December 1983.

South Yarra.

The Telegraph Office was opened in August 1872 after telegraphic communication had been established on 1 August.

South Yarra was issued with three types of date stamp for use with telegraphs:

  1. a 1 hole Belt & Buckle date stamp used in black.

Used: 2 March 1889 and 26 July 1893.

Size: 28 × 39 mm (e = 0.70).

Rated: RRR.

South Yarra 1889
2 March 1889 (earliest recorded date).
Used on Telegram delivery envelope VC-EO-9.

Telegraphic Message delivery envelope with the Belt & Buckle date stamp shown above.

The date stamp is also known with three strikes on a cover to England 26 July 1893 (see Millennium December 2008 Sale 42, Lot 132).

Sth Yarra cover

  1. a rubber oval Post & Telegraph Section (RO6-P&TS).

Used: December 1937.

Size:

Rated: RRR.

Number in the Census: 1.

Sth Yarra oval
December 1937.
  1. a rubber rectangular TELEGRAPH date stamp (RRH1 - T).

Used in red: 9 June 1967.

Size: 30 × 38 mm.

Rated: RRR.

Number in the Census: 1.

Sth Yarra red rect
9 June 1967.
Used on AA-DO-13D.
  1. a rubber rectangular TELEGRAPH date stamp (RRH-T) in violet

Used: 23 September 1974.

Size: 28 × 44 mm

Rated: RR.

Number in the Census: 2.

Sth Yarra 1974
23 September 1974.
Used on AT-DO-13D.
  1. a rubber circular TELEGRAPH date stamp RC-T in violet. in the 1980s.

Used: 18 May 1984 and 27 September 1985.

Size: 29 mm diameter.

Rated: RRR.

Number in the Census: 2.

Sth Yarra 1982
27 September 1985.
Used on AT-DO-15B.

Sunshine.

The Telegraph Office

A rubber rectangular POST OFFICE TELEGRAPH date stamp (RRH1-T) was used at Sunshine - in two sizes.

Size: 28 × 38 mm.

Used: 15 April 1983 (only recorded date).

Rated: RRR.

Number in the Census: 3.

Sunshine 1983
15 April 1983.
28 × 38 mm.

Size: 25 × 36 mm.

Used: 31 July 1985
(only recorded date).

Rated: RRR.

Number in the Census: 1.

Sunshine 1985
31 July 1985.
25 × 36 mm.

Surrey Hills.

The

 

 
The Office was issued with a rubber rectangular TELEGRAPH SECTION (RRH1-TS) date stamp:

Used: 13 November 1969.

Size: 27 × 45 mm.

Rated: RRRR.

Number if the Census: 1.
(No other example recorded by specialists).

 

Surrey Hills
13 November 1969.
Used on AA-EO-18B.
Provenance: Gary Watson, Johnstone.
Thomastown.

The Telegraph Office

 
A rubber oval TELEGRAPH OFFICE date stamp (RO2-TO) was issued to the office in two formats:
  1. RO2-TO in purple.
    No telephone number under the date.

Size: 33 × 54 mm (e = 0.79).

Used: 19 January 1983 (only recorded date).

Rated: RRR.

Thomastown
19 January 1983.
  1. RO2-TO in black.
    Has a telephone number under the date.

Size: 33 × 53 mm (e = 0.78).

Used : 13 February 1986.

Rated: RRR.

Thomas 1986
13 February 1986.

Windsor.

The Telegraph

A 2 hole Belt & Buckle date stamp was issued to the office at Windsor.

Used in black: 26 February 1892 to 3 May 1893.

Size: not been seen complete.

Rated: RRR.