Victoria:
Telegraph Offices on the Gippsland line and the Bairnsdale Branch.


The Post & Telegraph Offices along the Gippsland line and the Bairnsdale branch are listed alphabetically and not by date of opening or by geographical sequence.

Angler's Rest.

The Office opened about 19 km WNW of Omeo as a Telegraph Office on 16 May 1940. It was closed on 30 June 1969.

The office was issued with the usual Post Office canceller with a large date date line:

Used: 26 November 1945 to 28 March 1953.

Diameter: 30 mm with 2 mm side arcs.

Rated: RRRR.

The date line was later changed to a small date line with nylon wheels:

Used: 6 December 1965 to 1 Octber 1968.

Rated: RRRR.

Anglers rest
6 December 1965.

The only recorded non-archival example
and the first day of use for the SDL format.

Bairnsdale.
On both the Gippsland line and the Bairnsdale Branch.

The Telegraph Office opened in July 1869 after the Post Office had opened in February 1858 (on the east bank of the river in Lucknow) but soon relocated in April 1862.

On 23 April 1875, £1,200 was apportioned by the Postmaster-General for the building of a new Post and Telegraph Office at Bairnsdale. Tenders were called in August 1875.

By 1890, discussions and public meetings were well underway in relation to the building of a new Post and Telegraph building in a central position in Main Street.

The Post Office was (sadly) demolished in 1970.

Bairnsdale 1
Bairnsdale P&T Office (in the front on the corner) in its second location. The Court House (still in use) is at the far right.
(Museum Victoria 153814).

Both these buildings were the design of architect A.J.Mcdonald of the Public Works Department.

The Gippsland Times reported on 6 February 1884:

"The work of effecting the alterations and additions to the Post and Telegraph Office is being rapidly proceeded with by the contractors, Messrs. Fidler Bros. The foundations are now nearly complete, and present an appearance of great solidity and certainly seem calculated to support a much heavier weight than they are ever likely to bear. The tower will be supported by a foundation of solid masonry seven feet deep, whilst that of the remaining portion of the building will have a depth of five feet. The lower portions of the stone work consist of white free stone obtained from the neighbourhood of Briagolong, while the upper or that portion above the ground consists of ordinary bluestone. This portion of the work is in the hands of Mr. G. A. Barry, who is carrying it out in an expeditious manner, and he expects to have it completed shortly".

Bairnsdale large
Bairnsdale's impressive Court House more recently - taken from the opposite side from the image above. The Post & Telegraph Office is at the left in the distance.
The office was issued with three types of date stamp for use with telegraphs:
  1. a one hole Belt & Buckle date stamp.

Used in black: 12 April 1889 to
19 June 1894.

Size: 27.5 × 38 mm (e = 0.69).

Rated: RRR.

Bairnsdale 1890
3 January 1890.
Bairnsdale 1894
19 June 1894
(latest recorded date).
Used in blue on 20 October 1891 and in 1892.

Rated: RRRR.

Bairns blue
20 October 1891
(earliest recorded date for a blue version).
 
  1. a rubber oval POST & TELEGRAPH OFFICE date stamp RO3-P&TO
    (not recorded by WWW).

Used: 2 November 1938 and 8 December 1951.

Size: 25 × 44 mm (e = 0.82).

Rated: RRRR.

Number recorded: 2.

Bairnsdale 1938
2 November 1938.
Bairnsdale 1951
8 December 1951.
Image courtesy of Brian Sampson.
  1. a rubber oval POST & TELEGRAPH OFFICE date stamp (RO1-P&TO)
    (not recorded by WWW).

Used: 17 March 1948 and 2 April 1948.

Size: 28 × 47 mm (0.80).

Rated: RRRR

Number recorded: 2
(the two examples shown here are the only ones recorded).
Provenance: Brian Sampson.

March
17 March 1948.

April
2 April 1948.
The usual postal date stamp was also used on telegrams. Bairnsdale 1940
27 December 1942.
Used on AW-DO-9A (41).
 
Bairnsdale Railway Station.

A Telegraph Office was also opened at the Railway Station about 1910. It was then reclassified as a Post Office about 1915 but reverted to a Telegraph Office about 1940. The Office was closed about 1966.

A circular date stamp (RC2-VR) with the letters V.R. at the base was issued to the office.

Used: 1 February 1955.

Diameter: 31 mm.

Rated: RRRRR (only known example).

Bairsnsdale VR
1 February 1955.
Berwick.

The Telegraph Office was opened in March 1873.

 
The office was issued with a circular rubber TELEGRAPH OFFICE date stamp (RC1-TO):

Used in violet: 23 August 1988 (only recorded date).

Size: 30.5 mm diameter.

Rated: RRRR.

Berwick 1988
23 August 1988.
(only recorded date).
Brown Coal Mine.

The Telegraph Office probably opened on 8 July 1918 at the same time as the Receiving Office was upgraded to a Post Office. The Receiving Office had opened on 3 September 1917.

The name Brown Coal Mine was changed to Yallourn North on 1 August 1917.

The office was destroyed by fire on 14 May 1934.

Brown Coal is about 5 km NE Yallourn.

A T.O. Brown Coal Mine date stamp was issued for use with telegraph business in two formats:
  1. with T.O before name;

Used: 25 February 1922 and 1 November 1930.

Diameter: 29 mm.

Rated: RR.

Brown Coal 1922
25 February 1922.
BC 1930
1 November 1930
(latest recorded date).
  1. with T.O. removed (afer the fire).

Used: 21 June 1934 to 28 April 1947.

Diameter: 29 mm.

Rated: R.

Brown C no TO
30 May 1936.
 
Bruthen.

The Telegraph Office was opened on 29 May 1880.

The Bendigo Advertiser contained the following:"The opening of the office bring us within the pale of civilization. Three mails a week saved us from becoming heathens, but to be in a minute correspondence with the world makes a man feel happy and careless of city gaiety. We sent the deputy-postmaster a congratulatory message. In reply he thanked us, and hoped Bruthen would be benefited in everyway. The receipts for the first day amounted to a goodly sum and, if the inaugural takings be an index for the future, the new office will pay".
Bruthen earlyEarly image of Bruthen Post Office - even perhaps before the Telegraph Office had been opened.
There is no telegraph pole at the right side.
The front door is in the middle of the building.

Image and details by courtesy of Brian Sampson of Bairnsdale.

Bruthen 1920
Bruthen Post & Telegraph Office about 1920.

Compared to the previous image, the door in the middle of the building has been closed in with a window and a porch has been added at the right following the original roof line. This work was probably completed well before 1903.

Bruthen
Bruthen Post & Telegraph Office - recent photo taken in 1968.
By 1886, the first postmaster of the Bruthen P&T office had been replaced. On 16 October 1886, the Bairnsdale Advertiser included the following article from its "own correspondent":

"We once had a postmaster, we now have a postmistress. Why is this thus? If over there was a country office that demanded the attention of a man, surely Bruthen is that office. I have no word but of praise for the lady who attends to our post and telegraph office, for she is attentive and obliging. But is it fair, is it in accord with the fitness of things, is it in obedience to that chivalry and shielding from harm that we profess towards frail women, that up to 10 o'clock and after on cold and stormy nights, and at five o'clock on bleak and stormy mornings, a woman should be expected to receive and deliver mails?

I should like the official in charge of the P.O. appointments to send a lady friend of his own this way, and I'll answer for her speedy removal to a more congenial atmosphere than a Bruthen fog at 10:30 p.m. or a Bruthen frost at 5 a.m".

The Office at Bruthen was issued with a 1 hole Belt & Buckle date stamp.

Used in black: 3 April 1893 (only recorded date).

Size:

Rated: RRRR.

 

Buln Buln.

A Telegraph Office was opened in March 1877 at Brandy Creek - not too far from Whisky Creek.

The Warrugal Guardian of 4 October 1892 reported that:

"On and after Monday 10th inst., the Post, Telegraph, Money-order and Post-Office Savings Bank, formerly kept at Brandy Creek township, will be open for the general transaction of business, the same having been removed from Brandy Creek, where in future, or at least for a time, that township will be attended to by means of a loose-bag".

Mr. James Maginn, who has erected a commodious general store at Buln Buln, adjacent to the railway station, will, as in the past 17 years, act as Post and Telegraph Master, &c. The new position of those united offices is on all sides considered the most central and convenient to the inhabitants of the surrounding district. It is needless to state that Mr. James Maginn is one of the oldest inhabitants of Brandy Creek and Warragul district, and is therefore, much esteemed for his sterling good qualities. It is pleasing to note that the Buln Buln Post and Telegraph Office is now connected with the Warragul Office by wire and therefore with the outer world for the speedy transmission of messages".

  Buln 0ct 1898

Buln Buln.
24 October 1898.

Unframed date stamp
issued to the Post Office.

Bunyip.

The Telegraph Office was opened at Bunyip as part of the Railway Circuit in November 1877. Renamed from Bunyip R.S. on 14 September 1903.

 
  Bunyip

Cann River.

The Telegraph Office at Cann River was the second most easterly office behind Mallacoota East. It was established

 

The Office was issued with a T. O. date stamp. As changes were made to the date stamp, five formats were created.

  1. the date line was often unclear.

Used: 22 October 1913 to 20 January 1922.

Diameter: 29 mm.

Rated RRRRR.

Cann R 1
20 April 1921.
Cann River 1920
23(?) December 1920.
  1. the first wheel of the date line was inverted.

Used: 26 September 1922 to 21 November 1922.

Rated: RRRRR.

   
  1. Date line corrected.

Used: 22 July 1924 to 10 April 1931.

Rated: RR.

 

 

Cann River 2
21 February 1928.
Prestige Philately March 2006
Lot 831.

Cann 1931
10 April 1931.

  1. T. O. partially removed.

Used: 21 August 1933 to 2 January 1935.

Rated: RRR.

   
  1. T.O. completely removed.

Used: 28 October 1935 to 3 October 1938.

Rated: R.

   

Cranbourne.
Situated on the Philip Island Extension from the main Gippsland line.

The Telegraph Office opened in February 1877.

An oval date stamp inscribed TELEGRAPH (RO2 - T) was issued for use at the Telegraph Office.

Date of use in violet: 21 September 1988 (only recorded date).

Size: 33 × 52 mm (e = 0.77).

Rated: RR.

Cranbourne oval
21 September 1988.

Dandenong.

The Telegraph Office was opened in June 1871.

The Post Office was opened on 1 July 1848.

 

 

   
A 1 hole Belt & Buckle date stamp was issued to the Dandenong Post & Telegraph Office.

Used in black: 24 February 1893 to 23 December 1893.

Size: 27 × 38.5 (e = 0.71).

Rated: RRR.

Dandenong
24 February 1893 (earliest recorded date).
A Telegraph Office was also opened nearby at the Dandenong Railway Station about 1910 which was reclassified as a Post Office about 1915.
Drouin South.

A Telegraph Office was opened at Drouin South in February 1879 while the Post Office was opened on 1 September 1881. The establishment was closed on 31 August 1973.

  1. The office at Drouin South was issued with a circular T.O. steel date stamp. This format was the first of five formats.

Used: 26 October 1915 to 20 January 1930.

Diameter: 28.5 mm with 4 mm and 3.5 mm side arcs.

Rated: RR.

 
  1. The T.O.was removed and the date stamp used from 24 February 1934 to 20 June 1935.
Rated: RR.
Drouin 1st remov
Date cannot be determined.
  1. The T.O. then became apparent from 24 March 1946 to 25 September 1952.

Rated: RR.

Reappear
13 September 1949.
  1. The T.O. was removed again and the date stamp used from 8 August 1955 to 20 August 1959.

Rated: RR.

 
  1. The date was then changed to a short date line using the nylon wheels and the date stamp used from 11 September 1959 to 31 August 1973.

Rated: RR.

 

Foster.

Foster is 29 km south-east of Leongatha.

The Telegraph Office was opened in April 1873. The Post Office was established when Stockyard Creek Post Office was renamed on 1 August 1879.

A 1 hole Belt & Buckle date stamp was issued to Foster.

Used in blue: 1 August 1890 to 1891.

Size: 29 × ? (not seen complete).

Rated: RRR.

 

Glen Wills.

The Post Office opened on 20 October 1890. The Office was reclassified as a Telegraph Office about 1936. The Office was closed on 31 August 1958 but the building was destroyed by fire in August 1959.

Glen Wills is about 29 km north west of Omeo.

No special date stamp for use with telegrams was issued to Glen Wills - the usual postal date stamp being used for telegram work.

The usual postal date stamp with VIC at the base (diameter 29 mm, 5 mm side arcs and rated RR) was used from October 1916 to 5 February 1937 which is slightly into the Telegraph Office period. A replacement date stamp with VIC AUST at the base was then used.

The date stamp used during the Telegraph Office period had VIC AUST at the base and 3 mm side arcs.

Used: 8 February 1947 to 10 December 1948.

Diameter: 30 mm.

Rated: RRRR.

Glen wills
19 May 1947.
Glengarry.

Located about 8 km NNE of Traralgon. It was originally La Trobe Railway Station but renamed Glengarry on 1 December 1884.

A Telegraph Office was opened about 1909 and closed about 1911. A Telegraph Office was then opened at the Railway Station on 11 August 1911. It was reclassified as a Post Office about 1915 and closed about 1916.

The office was issued with a T.O. Glengarry date stamp.

Used: 17 December 1920 to 7 February 1929.

Diameter 27 mm.

Rated RR.

Glengarry Apr 1921
1 April 1921.
Glengarry 1925
25 February 1925.
Hotham Heights.

Located NW of Omeo about 11 km before Harrietville.

Previous details show the office was opened only as a Telegraph Office from 1 September 1926 to about 1970. Given the first date stamp below, the office may have been opened as a Receiving Office - or the official date is incorrect.

No date stamp was issued expressly for telegrams but there are two formts for the postal date stamp used also on telegrams:

  1. VIC. (with stop) at the base and with 5 mm side arcs:

Used: 23 May 1925 (in black).
Another example has been referenced (with no details) and claimed to be about 1930.

Diameter: 30 mm.

Rated: RRRRR.

Number in the Census: 1.

Hotham Heights
23 May 1925.

Perforated OS.

 
  1. VIC AUST at base and with 3 mm side arcs:

Used in violet: 12 July 1941.

Diameter: 30 mm.

Rated: RRRRR.

Number in the Census: 1.

HH detail  

HH 1941 cover
12 July 1941 - complete cover - see detail above.

Korumburra.

The Post Office opened on 1 September 1884 near Arawata but, on 1 November 1889, the office was renamed Glentress and a new Office was opened on the same day in Korumburra. Prior to that, the town was known as Silkstone.

The Telegraph Office was opened between 1890 and 1893 on the corner of Bridge Street and Mine Road, Korumburra. A Telegraph Office was also opened at the Railway Station in 1910, changed status to Post Office in 1915, reverted to a Telegraph Office in 1940 and closed in December 1964.

Korumburra
Lake Tyers.

Lake Tyers opened as a Receiving Office in 1902 and was reclassified to a Post Office on 1 July 1927. It closed on 26 February 1971.

Lake Tyers is along the coast and north east of Lakes Entrance.

 

The Receiving Office was issued with a TELEGRAPH OFFICE date stamp.

Diameter: 27 mm.

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 5.

  1. During the first years, the date was incomplete and only the year is visible.

Used in black: October 1915 to 1916.

 

LT 1916
1916 - no day or month.

Prestige July 2009 Lot 488.
Mossgreen July 2016 Lot 736.


  1. Date now incorporates month but not day.

Used in black: December 1917.

Tyres 17
December 1917.
 
  1. Date complete in two lines, month first.

Used in black: ?? to 28 July 1926.

Tyers 1924
11 August 1924.
June 25
29 June 1925
.

Lakes Entrance (Cunninghame).

The Telegraph Office was opened as Cunninghame in October 1879.

Now called Lakes Entrance after a name change in January 1915. The Post Office opened in February 1870.

An oval rubber datestamp for use with Telegrams was issued to Lakes Entrance but with no date line.

 
Need a CUNNINGHAME

Lakes Ent roo
Lakes Entrance.
6 July 1922.

On 9d Kangaroo on Map on telegram piece.

Lakes Ent 1962
Lakes Entrance.
30 November 1962.

Diameter: 28 mm.
Used on AA-DO-13B.

Lakes TO
Lakes Entrance Telegraph Section.
No date line.

Size: 31 × 51 mm (e = 0.79).

   
Leongatha.

The Post Office opened as Koorooman on 1 October 1887 and was renamed Leongatha on 1 June 1891 when a township was established on the arrival of the railway on 14 December 1891.

The Telegraph Office opened before 1893. The telegraph line probably followed the railway line from Dandenong to Leongatha (maybe probably via Warragul and Mirboo) and then to Alberton (Railway Bill of 1884).

Telegraph Offices were also opened at

  • the Leongatha Railway Station about 1910 - closed about 1918;
  • the Leongatha South Railway Station (8 km south) on 1 May 1944 - closed on 22 March 1949.
Leongatha 1910
Leongtha Post & Telegraph Office looking north - about 1905.
In the Mornington Journal of 15 March 1899, it was reported that "The Postal department have decided to apply the contract principle to the Leongatha Post and Telegraph office and, to show how the privilege is sought after, the Postmaster-General has received 29 tenders for the work. The system of placing Post and Telegraph offices under the management of persons outside the department, having given great satisfaction to the Postmaster-General, the system will be extended - hence the alteration in the postal arrangements at Leongatha". Nothing else is known of this initiative. Leongatha
Leongatha about 1900 - Blair Street leading to the Post & Telegraph Office
in the centre of the picture. A row of telegraph poles at the right leads to
that building.

The Leongatha Post and Telegraph Office is one of a small group of post offices, along with those in Terang (1903), Sorrento (1904), Korumburra (1904) and Woodend (1905), to be constructed for the Commonwealth by the Victorian government in the early years after Federation. These buildings were all designed and constructed by the Victorian Public Works Department under the supervision of its chief architect, J. H. Marsden - this despite the postal and telegraphic services being transferred to the Commonwealth from the states in 1901. After the early months of 1907, no further post offices were built in Victoria until 1909, when a concerted building campaign was commenced by the Commonwealth. Postal buildings were erected at at Canterbury, Hawthorn, Brunswick, and Beulah. Others followed in 1910, at Casterton, Birchip, Box Hill, Clifton Hill, Port Melbourne, Sandringham, Rupanyup, Violet Town and Willaura. More than a dozen additional premises were completed prior to the outbreak of World War I.

Today the Leongatha Post and Telegraph Office is one of the oldest still functioning post offices built for the Commonwealth after Federation in 1901.

Marlo.

Marlo is on the Gippsland line to the east of Cunninghame (Lakes Entrance) and SE of Orbost.

The office opened as a Receiving Office in 1902 and was upgraded to a Post Office on 1 July 1927.

A TEL. OFFICE date stamp was used at Marlo.

Used: 2 July 1909 to 5 May 1922.

Diameter: 25.5 mm.

Rated: RRR.

Number in the Census: 4.

Marlo 16
8 October 1915.
Marlo 1918
23 April 1918.

Maffra.
On the Bairnsdale Branch.

The Telegraph Office was opened in July 1875.

 

   

Mallacoota East.

The eastern most Telegraph Station in Victoria.

Established on 1 March 1928 when the Post Office at Mallacoota changed name. In the following year, the Post Office at Mallacoota East was reclassified as a Telegraph Office and it operated until closed on 31 January 1940.

 
Martin's Creek.

The Telegraph Office was opened on 16 February 1952 and closed on 19 November 1966.

The Office was located 16 km NNE or Orbost.

Martins Creek
Martin's Creek Postal date stamp.
7 July 1965 - used during the Telegraph Office period.

Diameter: 31 mm.
Rated RRR.

Moe.

The Telegraph Office was opened at the Railway Station in July 1878.

 

Moe 1890
Moe Post & Telegraph Office about 1890.
The office was issued with a one hole Belt and Buckle date stamp:

Used in black: 10 August 1891.

Size: 27 × ??

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 1
Only one partial example is recorded so no details are available.

Moe
10 August 1891.

Provenance: Freeman, Johnstone.

 
Morwell.

The Telegraph Office was opened in August 1879.

The Morwell Post & Telegraph Office needed replacement by 1882 as reflected in the following printed in the 23 August 1882 Gippsland Times:

"The present premises used by the Postal Department for the Morwell Post and Telegraph Office are very inadequate for the amount of business transacted here. I believe the Government made a promise to have more suitable buildings built and, if such be the case, I think our representative in the House, Mr. Mason, ought to be requested to move in the matter and get the building erected before the summer sets in".

Morwell
The office was issued with a 1 hole Belt and Buckle date stamp:

Used in black: 1891 to 1893.

Size:

Rated: RRRR.

 

Noble Park.

The Telegraph Office


The Office was issued with a rubber circular TELEGRAPH OFFICE date stamp (RC1-TO):

Used in violet: 11 October 1988 (only recorded date).

Diameter: 38 mm.

Rated: RRR.

Noble Park
11 October 1988
(possibly last day of operation).

Oakleigh.

The Telegraph Office was opened in September 1875.

Omeo.

The Telegraph Office in Omeo opened in November 1879.

 

Omeo 1
P&T
Sign allegedly from the Omeo P&T Office.
Source: Ebay, July 2013.


Omeo 2
Omeo in snow circa 1910.
A 1 hole Belt & Buckle date stamp was used at Omeo:
  1. Used in black: 1891 to 18 June 1894.

Size: 28 × 39 mm (e = 0.70).

Rated: RR.

Omeo
12 September 1892.

25 January 1894.
  1. Used in blue: 5 February 1889 and 12 September 1892.
Omeo pair
5 February 1889?.

Orbost.

The Telegraph

 

Packenham.

The Telegraph Office was opened in August 1877.

 

 

Port Albert.

The Telegraph Office was opened on 1 December 1864.

Port Albert derives its present name from the husband of Queen Victoria. It was originally known, from 1841, as Seabank or Old Port which was changed to Alberton in 1842 and then to Port Albert in 1856. It was one of the first ports in Victoria and became the administrative centre of Gippsland. It was also the transport focus for goods transport between Melbourne and Tasmania. As such, there was a priority for Port Albert to have telegraphic communications.

 
  Pt Albert 1892

Rosedale.

The Telegraph Office was opened in March 1867.

On 15 December 1868, The Age reported that the Telegraph Office was to close because "the Office is not sufficiently remunerative and the necessity that exists for economising in the various Departments of the Civil Service".

Certainly things improved - by 1880, the Rosedale Office transmitted 2,049 messages with an increase in revenue to £84/4/2.

Sale.

The Telegraph Office at Sale opened on 22 September 1864.

The Post Office

Sale

The Office was issued with a 1 hole Belt & Buckle date stamp. The existence of this Belt & Buckle date stamp was only established in 2017.

Use: 2 December 1887.

Size: 27 × 38 mm (e = 0.70).

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 1.

Sale
2 December 1887.

Springvale.

The Office was renamed from Springvale Railway Station Post Office on 20 October 1902. That Office had in turn been established on 1 February 1887.

A Telegraph Office had also been established at the Railway Station about 1910 but it was closed as a separate office in February 1916.

A circular date stamp inscribed TELEGRAPH SECTION was issued to the Office during the 1980s.

Format: RC1-TS.
Diameter: 38mm.

The Postal Section of the Office had a similar date stamp (43 mm in diameter) with the top inscription being POST OFFICE.

Springvale 1988

Stratford.
On the Bairnsdale Branch.

The Telegraph Office was opened in May 1873.

 

 

Tarraville.

The Telegraph Office was opened in June 1877.

 

 

The Ridge.

Located south-west of Bairnsdale.

A Telegraph Office opened at The Ridge in April 1923 when the Post Office, which had been opened on 7 November 1919, was changed in status.

The Office closed on 31 May 1958.

No special date stamp for use with telegrams was issued to the Office - the usual postal date stamp being used:

PM
Detail of the date stamp on the cover at the right during the T.O. period.

Used: 2 July 1951 (same date on covers).

Size: 29 mm.

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 2.

Cover

Tonghi Creek.

The Post Office opened on 1 July 1927 and was reclassified to a Telegraph Office on 8 July 1945.

The Office was issued with a T.O. date stamp:

  1. T.O. Tonghi Creek.

Used in black: May 1913 to 28 August 1935.

Diameter: 29 mm.

Rated: RR.

Tonghi black28 August 1935.  
  1. T.O. Tonghi Creek.

Used in violet: 31 July 1934 to 3 January 1935.

Rated: RR.

Tonghi violet
31 July 1934.
 
  1. T.O. removed.

Used in black: 30 July 1936 to 6 January 1968.

Rated: RR.

Tonghi removed
21 April 1937.
 
  1. T.O. removed.

Used in violet: 6 January 1968.

Rated: RRRR.

 

   
Traralgon.

The Telegraph Office was opened at Traralgon in May 1875 - it is not known where.

On 27 July 1882, "a deputation of Traralgon residents met the Postmaster-General and requested that a post and telegraph office should be erected at Traralgon. Mr. Bolton replied that as this year's estimates had now been placed before Parliament he could not accede to the request, so far as regards this year, but he would consider it favourably, and, if possible, place a vote for the post and telegraph office on next year's estimates." The Argus.

 

Traralgon
A subsequent deputation in April 1884 met with Mr. Berry, in his capacity of Postmaster-General "and again urged the claims of Traralgon for a Post and Telegraph office. Mr. Berry recognised the claims, and gave a definite promise that a building, to cost from £1200 to £1500, would be erected".

In April 1885: From Mr. F. C. Mason, MLA, forwarding a communication received by him from the Post Office and Telegraph Department, in reference to the erection of a post and telegraph office and court-house at Traralgon, stating that steps had been taken to have a post and telegraph office only erected with the least possible delay, at a cost of £1500.

On 18 November 1885: The Public Works Department invites tenders for the erection of public offices at Traralgon, including post and telegraph office, a court house and a receipt and pay office.

The Traralgon Record of 6 November 1891 noted that "the Public Works department had advised that the drawings and specificiations were being prepared for the clock for the tower of the post and telegraph office, Traralgon, and it was anticipated tenders will be invited in two or three weeks".

For a report on a Telegraphic Money Order fraud see elsewhere.

A 1 hole Belt & Buckle date stamp was used at Traralgon;

Used in black: 26 October 1887 to 23 December 1893.

Size: 28 × 38.5 mm (e = 0.69).

Rated: RRR.

Traralgon
13 September 1889.

Traralgon wrapper
Detail of the date stamp
on the wrapper at the right.

Wrapper
The 1 hole Belt & Buckle date stamp used in black on a wrapper on
8 December 1893 from Traralgon to Melbourne.
Walhalla.

The Telegraph Office opened in November 1870.

 

Walhalla town
Walhalla township about 1916.
A 2 hole Belt & Buckle date stamp was issued to the Office:

Used in black: 26 June 1889 and on 29 May 1893.

Size:

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 2.

Walhalla 1889
26 June 1889.
Walhalla 1893
29 May 1893.

Warragul.

The Telegraph Office opened in June 1881.

Warragul P&T

The Office was issued with a 1 hole
Belt & Buckle date stamp
.
  1. Used in black: 16 December 1889 to
    28 February 1893.

Size: 27 ½ × 38 mm (e = 0.69).

Rated: RR.

Warragul 1889
16 October 1889 (earliest recorded date).

Warragul 1890
10 April 1890 (on a letter card).
Note: day and month are reversed.
Warragul 1893
13 January 1893 (latest recorded date).
Warragul wrapper
Compete wrapper sent to Gordon & Gotch in Melbourne with the Warragul Belt & Buckle date stamp of 13 January 1893 (detail above).
  1. Used in blue: 9 July 1890 to
    9 February 1892.
Warragul blue cover
9 July 1890.
Stamps torn cover which has a blue rectangular REGISTERED hand stamp and an UNCLAIMED AT/ YINNAR in black.
Warragul detail
9 July 1890.
A Telegraph Office had been opened at the Warragul Railway Station in March 1878.
Premier Auctions notes it opened in 1910 and closed in 1970.

A circular TELEGRAPH V.R. date stamp (RC2-T VR) was issued to the Office:

Used: 1 February 1955.

Diameter: 35 mm.

Rated: RRR.

Number in the Census: 1.

Warragul RS
1 February 1955.

Waterloo.

 

 
Wilson's Promontory.

The Telegraph Station was opened on 3 April 1873. It was provisionally closed on 31 December 1951 and permanently closed on 30 April 1952.

WP
Looking towards Wilson's Promontory from Toora.
No special TELEGRAPHS date stamp was issued but the station was only ever classified as a Telegraph Office.

Used: 10 December 1930 to 23 April 1934.

Diameter: 29 mm.

Rated: RRR.

WP 1930
10 December 1930.
Phoenix Auctions May 2017.
Wilsons 1934
23 April 1934.
Yarram Yarram.

The Telegraph Office was opened in July 1882.

 

Yarram
Yarram Yarram in 1909 showing Commercial Street.
A two hole Belt & Buckle date stamp was issued to the office in Yarram Yarram.:
  1. Used in black: 18 February 1890 to 20 January 1892;

Size: 27 × 40 mm (e = 0.74).

Rated: RRR.

Yarram blue
28 April 1891.
Provenance: Hugh Freeman, Johnstone.
 
  1. Used in blue: 9 July 1890 to 1892.

Size: 27 × 40 mm (e = 0.74).

Rated: RRR.

Yarram ERD
9 July 1890 (earliest recorded date).
Yarram blue
1 April 1891.
Yarram Yarram Yarram
Postal date stamp.
16 February 1921.

Commonly used on telegrams.

   

Comments on Gippsland and the structures which are built must always be placed in the context of the dreadful bush fires which continually ravage the region. Year after year, dreadful stories emerge - even the fires of 7 February 2009 which were the worst in Australia's history:

It was the eighth deadliest bushfire/wildfire event in recorded history.

The Sydney Morning Herald reported on 5 February 1898 about the fires which were burning then:

"The bush fires now raging in Victoria have reached a record of destruction unprecedented in the history of that colony. The heat on Tuesday attained a point without parallel and from all parts of the forest country, but particularly from Gippsland come thrilling accounts of the ravages of the fires. The settlers outside the towns in these districts hav been in most cases hopelessly burnt out, and we got on all sides descriptions of fire-blasted tracts of country and forests ablaze in all directions. The towns themselves are threatened and in some cases partially destroyed. Drouin, for instance, is beleagured by a circle of flame, South Warragul is surrounded, the labour colony at Leongatha has been devastated, and at Korumburra, Traralgon and other places, hundreds of men assisted by their womon-folk havo been hard at work fighting back the flames from taking complete possession of these centres of settlement. The vast scale and destructiveness of these fires we have already described but the most thrilling part of the story is that which relates to the perils of men, women and children, and the hardy heroism of the fire-fighters who have thus been suddenly called upon to defend themselves and their possessions against an enemy more destructive and pitiless than war itself. We have accustomod ourselves to think of the older settled colonies as having progressed beyond the stage of those pioneer perils and difficulties associated with the early struggles of Australian colonisation of which "Black Thursday" is the historic typo. But "Black Thursday" itself has been eclipsed by the havoc now going on and it is well within the truth to say that at no time since Australia has been the home of white men has the story of settlement been illustrated by more stirring incidents of peril, of struggle and of disaster. The one relieving feature of the situation as it is disclosed by the accounts which have reached us is suggested by the manly qualities of self-sacrificing courage and mutual help which these extraordinary circumstances have called forth".