Victoria:
Telegraph Offices on the Donald line.


The Post & Telegraph Offices on the Donald line are listed below together with examples of date stamps used on telegrams. It was at Dunolly that the Donald and Swan Hill lines diverged.

Amherst.

The Telegraph Office opened in October 1881. It was the main town of the Municipality from 1858 until replaced by Talbot.

No special date stamps were issued for telegraph use.

Avoca.

The Telegraph Office was opened in March 1859. In the following year, there was considerable public and political discussion about the desirability of merging the Telegraph Office with the Post Office.

 

The Office was issued with a 2 hole Belt & Buckle date stamp.

Used in black: 1 April 1892 to 6 September 1892.

Size: 28 × 42 mm (0.75).

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 2.

ERD avoca
1 April 1892 (earliest recorded date).
Avoca
6 September 1892 (latest recorded date).

Bealiba.

The Telegraph opened at the Railway Station in September 1878.

 

Bet Bet.

The Telegraph Office is south of Dunolly on the line to Maryborough.

The Telegraph Office was issued with two formats of a T.O. Bet Bet date stamp:
  1. complete with T.O.

Used: 8 February 1912 and 21 June 1935.

Diameter: 27 mm.

Rated S.

Bet 1927
12 April 1927.
1934
5 September 1933.
  1. T.O. removed.

Used: 7 August 1935 and 7 July 1959.

Rated S.

Bet removed
11 December 1958.
 

Bowenvale.

The Telegraph Office opened in January 1884.

 
Clunes.

The Telegraph Office was opened on 8 February 1861.

The Ballarat Star of 12 February 1861 noted "I am directly informed that our post-office will not be in operation until the 1st of March next. The telegraph branch of this amalgamated department was available for public use on Saturday last. So far good. We have been looking for the accommodation nearly two months after all appeared to have been completed".

 

Clunes
Clunes Post & Tlegraph Office
Source: SLA H92 386 13.
The Office was issued with a 1 hole Belt & Buckle date stamp. The earliest recorded date of any Belt & Buckle date stamp was for 1 April 1880 at Clunes.

Used: 1 April 1880 to 18 October 1893.

Size: 27 × 38 mm (e = 0.70).

Rated: RR.

Clunes 1880
1 April 1880 (ERD).
Clunes 1893
18 October 1893 (LRD).
A triple oval date stamp (RO6-P&TO) is known to have been used at Clunes. It is the first date stamp to use the inscription Post & Telegraph Office apart from the Belt & Buckle design:

Used in blue: 15 January 1914, 14 July 1915 and 2 February 1916.

Size:

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 2 plus 2 partial strikes.

Clunes Jan 1914
15 January 1914.
Clunes 1914
1914 (no month).
Clunes 1916
2 February 1916.

Prestige Philately December 2010 Lot 469
(used on a Post Office form for the payment of old age pensions).

Clunes 1899
Clunes Barred Numeral duplex.
31 May 1899.
Used on VC-DO-
Clunes 1960
Usual postal date stamp
with 6 mm side arcs and
long date line .
20 April 1960.

Diameter: 30.5 mm.
Used on AW-DO-10A (59).

Cope Cope.

The Post Office opened on 15 September 1873 and closed on 31 October 1975.

Telegraph facilities were made available to the public at the Railway Station from 14 February 1882. A Telegraph Office opened at the Railway Station about 1914, was reclassified as a Post Office in 1916 and closed in 1916.

Delegations had been meeting the Minister as early as 1879 to extend the railway line by 38 miles from Lubeck via Cope Cope to East Charlton off the Horsham line. On 26 January 1882, a railway line for grain traffic was opened from St Arnand to Cope Cope.

The Office was issued with a T. O. date stamp.

Used: February 1914 to 2 October 1916.

Diameter: 30 mm. 3 mm side arcs.

Rated: RRR.

Number in the Census: 4.

Cope Cope
19 February 1915.
Cope 1916
2 October 1916.
Creswick.

The Telegraph Office was opened in April 1859.

The Office was issued with a 1 hole Belt & Buckle date stamp.

Used in black: 7 March 1889 to 15 August 1892.
There is possibly a third example of a clear Belt & Buckle date stamp from Creswick - used on 6 July 1891. Some other date stamps are known but the date of use cannot be determined.

Size: 26 × 38 mm (0.73).

Rated: RRRR.

Creswick 1889
7 March 1889.
On a long blue registered OHMS cover to Melbourne.
Provenance: Max Watson, Johnstone.
Mossgreen April 2017 Lot 381.
Creswick
15 August 1892.

Provenance: Freeman, Johnstone.

Daylesford.

The Telegraph Office was opened in August 1859.

A Telegraph Office was opened at the Railway Station about 1910 and this was re-classified as a Port Office about 1915. It was then re-classified as a Telegraph Office about 1940 before being closed about 1970.

 

Daylesford
Daylesford Post & Telegraph Office.
The sign for the Telegraph Office is in the lower left window.


The Daylesford Telegraph Office was issued two types of date stamp for use with telegrams:
  1. a 1 hole Belt & Buckle date stamp.

Used in black: 16 August 1883 to 7 July 1893.

Size: 27 × 38.5 mm (e = 0.71).

Rated RRR.

Daylesford B&B
16 August 1883 (ERD).

Used in blue: 2 December 1890.

 
  1. a rubber double oval TELEGRAPH OFFICE (RO2-TO) date stamp.

Used: 20 October 1982 - only known date.

Size: 31 × 54 mm (e = 0.67).

Rated RRRR.

Daylesford
20 October 1982.
Donald.

The first name for Donald was Richardson Bridge but that was changed when surveyed in 1866.

The Telegraph Office was opened in July 1879 - after the Post Office had been opened in 1 January 1870 - replacing that at Mount Jeffcoat. "The wooden building previously used at Stuartmill has been removed to and re-erected at Donald and a battery and store room added". (1879 Report).

A Telegraph Office was also opened at the Railway station on 4 June 1882 when the railway line had reached Donald.

Donald
Donald Post & Telegraph Office about 1905.
The Office was issued with a 1 hole Belt & Buckle date stamp.

Used in black: 13 February 1888 to
27 September 1892.

Size: 27 × 38 mm (e = 0.70).

Rated: RRR.

Donald B&B
Donald: 1 hole in black.
1889.
Provenance: Hugh Freeman, Johnstone.
 
  Donald Reading
26 February 1890.
Donald 1898
9 April 1890.
The usual postal date stamps were also used on telegrams. Donald unframed
25 May 1905.
Donald unframed postal date stamp
used on a telegram.

Elaine.

The Telegraph Office opened in April 1875.

In 1877, the name of the office was changed to Mount Doran while the name of the Elaine Railway Station was changed to Elaine. At the same time, the Post Office at the Railway Station was transferred to the State school.

No special date stamps were used for telegrams.

 

Emu.

 

 

Homebush.

Homebush is about 6 km ENE of Avoca. It had good gold deposits and a race course.

The Post Office opened on 1 October 1863 and closed on 5 April 1944.

Telegraph Offices also operated between 1914 and 1919 both at Williams (still known as Homebush) and at the Railway Station.

The Office was issued with a T.O. date stamp:
Decade wheel inverted - Year wheel blank.

Used: 2 January 1921.

Diameter: 27 mm.

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 1.

Gary Watson believes "this cds was originally issued to Homebush (Williams) where the Telegraph Office opened in 1914 and closed on 5 April 1944. At that time, the cds was transferred to Homebush".

Homebush
2 January 21.
Homebush Lower.

A Post Office opened in 1 February 1880 but was downgraded to a Receiving Office on 21 January 1919. On 1 July 1927, its status as a Post Office was restored until the Office closed on 14 October 1960.

A T.O. date stamp was issued to the Office:

Used: 10 February 1922.

Size: 28 mm.

Rated: RRR.

Number in the Census: 1.

Home Lower

Majorca

On 12 April 1870, Mr. James, the Inspector of Post and Telegraph offices, installed Miss Gearing into her new office as Post and Telegraph mistress. The occasion was afterwards celebrated by a luncheon provided by the Borough council.

 
Maryborough.

The Office of the General Superintendent of Telegraphs issued a notice on 29 April 1859 to announce "the opening of telegraphic communication has this day been opened with Maryborough. The office at this place is now open to the public".

 


Maryborough
Maryborough P&T office about 1950. The Telegraph counter is through
the arches at the right.

A Belt & Buckle date stamp was issued to the Maryborough Post & Telegraph Office:

1. Used in black: 9 May 1883 to 1894.

Size: 27 × 38 mm (0.70).

Rated: RR.

Mary 1883
9 May 1883 (earliest recorded date).
Used as an arrival backstamp on a cover
from Melbourne posted the previous day.

2. Used in blue: 20 September 1888.

Size: 27 × 38 mm (e = 0.70)

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 1.

1888 Blue
20 September 1888.
Used on VC-DO-11C.
Other examples in black:  
Mary 1887
26 May 1887.
Mar 29
29 March 1893.
Maryborough B&B
28 February 18?? - on a 1/6 Stamp Statute.
Provenance: Hugh Freeman, Johnstone.
Ordinary Postal date stamps used on telegrams.
Mary duplex
Maryborough "61" duplex.
28 November 1904.

Used on VC-DO-19.

Mary 1901
Maryborough 25 June 1901.
Diameter: 25 mm.
Used February 1897 - June 1901.

Framed date stamp used on
VI-DO-15C and VI-DO-16C.

Maryborough 1922
Maryborough 14 October 1922.

Date stamp has time and date.
Used on AE-DU-1B.

Mary SL boxed
Maryborough boxed straight-line handstamp for use especially on telegrams.
Used on AE-DO-1E on 29 July 1921.
Mary SL unboxed
Maryborough unboxed straight-line handstamp for use especially on telegrams.
Used on AE-DO-1E on 21 April 1921.
A Telegraph Office was also opened at the Railway Station in Maryborough for use by the public as well as for railway duties. Maryborough VR
Maryborough V.R. strike for the date stamp to the right with reversed date wheels set to March 1944.
Date stamp
The date stamp for Maryborough.
Date stamp
Steel date stamp for Maryborough Telegraph Office at the Railway Station. Note the V.R. (for Victorian Rail) below the centre.
See also a Delayed date stamp.

Meredith.

The Telegraph Office opened in April 1875.

No special date stamps were used for telegrams.

Redbank.

 

 
St. Arnaud.

The Telegraph Office was opened in January 1965. In early 1878, tenders were called forthe construction of a Railway Line and Telegraph Line from Dunnolly to St Arnaud.

The town was named after a French Commander-in-Chief of the Army of the East in the Crimean War.

 

St Arnaud

The Office was issued with a 1 hole Belt & Buckle date stamp.

The only recorded example is for 7 August 1888 on a 1d Astley green in use in 1888 only but a complete strike has not yet been seen.

St Arnaud
7 August 1888.

Prestige Philately 24 October 2009 Lot 424.

St Arnaud
St Arnaud unframed postal date stamp but also used on telegrams.
27 March 1893.


St A 1909
Framed St Arnaud postal date stamp plus straight line Office name.
1 April 1909.
Used on VI-DO-2B.
Framed
Framed straight line St. Arnand hand-stamp for use on telegrams.
Size: 7 × 35 mm.

Used on VI-DO-2B.

Unframed
Unframed straight line St. Arnand hand-stamp for use on telegrams.
Size: 6 × 52 mm.

Used on VI-DO-3E.

1917 St Arnaud framed postal date stamp but also used on telegrams.
8 February 1917.

Diameter: 29 mm.

Used on AE-DO-2C.

1950 St Arnaud framed postal date stamp but also used on telegrams.
26 September 1950.

Diameter: 31 cm.

Used on AW-DO-10 (48).

Talbot.

Telegraph wires were being stretched through Back Creek in mid-February 1860 although the Telegraph Office was not opened until 21 December 1860. The settlement was known as Back Creek until about 1855 and it was not officially named Talbot until October 1861 (or 14 February 1862 for the Post Office). It finally replaced Amherst as the main town of the Municipality.

The Post Office had opened as Back Creek on 24 February 1854.

Talbot
Talbot Post & Telegraph Office about 1900.
The Office was issued with a 1 hole Belt & Buckle date stamp. It is recorded in use in 1883 only but a complete strike has not yet been seen.