Tasmania: 1857-1988.
Telegraph Offices on the first line.


 

Bothwell.

The telegraph wires were extended to Bothwell in January 1870 while a Telegraph Office opened in 1871 at the Post Office with Sarah Robinson as the Operator. The Post Office had opened in 1832.

Bothwell is the home of Ratho - the oldest golf course in Australia. It was built in the 1850s - before the telegraph was connected!

The earliest recorded telegram to Bothwell is 31 August 1871 from Green Ponds.

No special date stamp was issued to Bothwell for use with telegrams.


Bothwell 1Bothwell Post & Telegraph Office - as confirmed by the sign above the door. This building was constructed about 1890.
Bothwell 2
Bothwell Post Office - after recent renovations.
Bothwell 1910
Bothwell and the surrounding region about 1910.
    Bothwell 1931
Bothwell type 2C steel datestamp.
20 March 1931.

Diameter: 29 mm.

 

During a visit to New York in 1854, John Young wrote to his friend and neighbour at Bothwell as follows:

"In the business portion of the town (New York) the streets are all very narrow, the houses immensely high, and the earth burrowed out and vaulted not only under houses but under the streets. While overhead, telegraph-wires are running and crossing each other through the air, whispering what was the price of stocks at New Orleans and at Halifax five minutes ago - carrying the congress bunkum-debates of this forenoon at Washington to the newspaper offices, where the fellows are setting-up the Speech in type before the orator has finished 300 miles off. This is not like Bothwell. New York is a nervous and highly feverish patient, hysterical, irritable, with a determination of blood to the head & a decided tendency to delirium tremens. Bothwell is a quiet and healthy shepherd whose food is mutton and his drink Clyde water (not unmingled with moderate brandy), lying on a sunny hill under a honeysuckle, listening to the sheep-bells".

Brighton (Pontville).

Telegraph Office located at the Post Office (by 1871) with Robert Dyer as Operator. Brighton was, for a short time, discussed by Lachlan Macquarie as being the place for the capital of the penal colony.

The earliest recorded telegram to Brighton is 19 June 1871 from Green Ponds (Cable form).

Brighton 1881
Unframed Brighton date stamp
4 June 1881 (ERD on a telegram).

Used on a repeated telegram.

 
A military base had first been established at Brighton in 1826. During the first and second World Wars, it was a base for preparing troops. In the latter part of the Second World War, Brighton Camp was also used to house prisoners of war and after the war it became a reception camp for refugees from Europe. From the early 1950s onwards, Brighton's primary use was for the training of members of the Citizens Military Forces. Brighton Camp Brighton Camp.
1956.

Used on a telegram piece from form AW-TO-9Bb (issued 1946).

Campbell Town.

The Telegraph Office was opened in 1861.

In February 1861, the Launceston Examiner reported that "a young lady is now joining through a course of instruction for the purpose of taking charge of the Telegraph office at Campbell Town. We hear that this young lady is likely to become one of the smartest operators on the line". The Operator was Miss Palliser.

The Electric Telegraph Office was housed separately from the Post Office at least until 1872.

Alfred Biggs was the school teacher in Campbell Town. In 1874, he made a telephone call from the railway line to the telegraph station - which is acknowledged as being the first telephone call in the southern hemisphere. He crafted the telephones from huon pine and linked them through the telegraph line.

Camp 1930
Campbell Town.
5 December 1930.

Postmaster Campbell Town.
9 March 1958.
Evandale.

The Telegraph Office opened in. The Post Office had been opened on June 1835. The town was founded as Honeysuckle Banks by Governor Lachlan Macquarie in 1811.

Evandale was also one of the stations on the Launceston & Western Railway line. Its telegraph office at the station was opened in 1871. It was a "break of guage" station until the remainder of the line to Deloraine was converted to a narrow guage in 1888.

Some notable residents of Evandale have included:

  • John Batman who lived there before moving, in 1835, to establish Melbourne;
  • John Kelly - father of Ned Kelly - who served time in the local prison.
Evandale
George Town.

In 1871, had offices at Low Head (2 staff) and Nine Mile Springs (operator A.T. Morrison).

A telegraph office was opened to the public in 1873.

 

 

Green Ponds.

The telegraph wires were extended to Green Ponds in January 1870. The Telegraph Office may have been opened later in the year at a location separate from the Post Office.

The earliest recorded telegram from Green Ponds is 18 May 1871 to Launceston. There is however a hand written summary on the reverse of a Cable transmission form showing 3 messages had been sent during the week ending 13 August 1870 and 4 messages in the following week.

In September 1881, discussions were held to merge the Post and Telegraph Offices into a new office within the context of merging all the public offices (Municipal, Police, Library, lecture theatre, etc) into the same premises.

The town was renamed Kempton in 1838 although the Post Office did not change its name to Kempton until 18 March 1895.

No date stamp was issued to Green Ponds for use with telegraphs.

Postal date stamps were used.

GP 1874
3 October 1874.
Earliest date stamp used on a Tasmanian telegam form.

Used on TC-DO-3A.

 
Launceston.

Originally called Port Dalrymple.

The first telegraph office in Launceston was in George Street opposite Patterson Street. The Officer-in-Charge was Mr. G. B. Butcher - the brother of the then newly appointed Superintendent of Telegraphs Mr. W. H. Butcher.

In 1881, the office was moved "to more commodious quarters".

 

Launceston 1
Launceston Post & Telegraph Office and Cameron Street.
Launcestor sketch
Engraving of the "new" Launceston Post Office.
"Pictorial Atlas of Australia", 1882.
Launceston 2
Launceston Post & Telegraph Office and St. John Street.
Launceston stamp
The Australia Post stamp
depicting Launceston Post Office.
Issued: 4 August 1982.
Launceston detail
Modern photograph of the facade and tower.
Plain cover sent from Hobart to Mr. Allison of the Telegraph Office in Launceston on 18 April 1895. Teleg office
Provenance: Clemente (Spink Sale September 2016, Lot 269).

Rubber oval date stamps - TELEGRAPH OFFICE/ LAUNCESTON.

  1. Serif font.

RO6 - TO in blue.
(earliest recorded date).

Separation marks: rosette stops.

Size: 31 × 50 mm (e = 0.78).


1887 Sept
12 September 1887.

Used on TC-DO-4A.
Provenance: Clemente, Johnstone.

 
  1. Sans-serif font.

RO6 - TO in blue.

Separation marks: open rosette stops.

Size: 28 × 41 mm (e = 0.73).

 

1888 May
9 May 1888.

Used on TC-DO-4A.
Provenance: Clemente, Johnstone.

Launceston 1889
8 September 1889.

Used on TC-DO-4B.

RO6 - TO in black.

Separation marks: open rosette stops.

Launceston oval
7 April 1898.

Prestige Aug 2005 Lot 411.

 
Rectangular rubber date stamps with LAUNCESTON.
   
   
   

Circular steel date stamps with Launceston/ Tasmania.

 
  1. Separation with dot stops (Clemente Type 6):

Two line date. Two digit year.

Dots for separation are towards the base of the letters.

No code letter under Launceston.

Diameter: 23 mm.

 

Launceston 1908
26 March 1908.

Used on TI-MO-3.

 
  1. Separation with circle stops (Clemente Type 7):

Two line date. Two digit year.

Has circle stops for separation.

No code letter under LAUNCESTON.

Diameter: 24 mm.

Used from 28 January 1899 (TC-DO-5A) to 10 March 1904.

Type 7 1899
28 January 1899.

Used on TC-DO-5A.

Launceston 1904
10 March 1904.

Used on TI-RO-2.

 
  1. Separation with cross stops (Clemente Type 8):

Two line date. Two digit year.

Has cross stops for separation.

No code letter under LAUNCESTON.

Diameter: 25 mm.


 

   
  1. Separation with no dot stops (Clemente Type 9):

Two line date. Two digit year.

Has no stops for separation.

No code letter under LAUNCESTON.

Diameter: 23 mm.

Clemente had reported that this date stamp had never been seen on a telegram form.

Laun Type 9 1904
25 May 1904.

Used on TC-DO-5A.

Launceston 1906
11 December 1905.
(unusually with year in italics).

Used on TI-DO-6.

 
Circular rubber date stamps:
RC3 Launceston.

Has small stars at the center of the letters between top and bottom words.

Type 2a (1v) rubber date stamp.

Diameter: 32 mm.

Rated RRR.

1914 Apr
7 April 1914.

 

 

Has small stars at the center of the letters between the top and bottom words.

Type 2a (1v) rubber date stamp.

Diameter: 28 mm.

Rated RRR.

Launc red
13 June 1916.
Used in red.

On TI-DO-3C.

Launceston rubber 1916
19 March 1917.
Used in violet.

On Reply Paid form TI-DR-1.

Laun 2 (v)
12 May 1919.
Used in blue.

On AE-DO-1.

RC6 Launceston.

Has large stars at the bottom of the letters between the top and bottom words.

Type 2a (1v) rubber date stamp.

Diameter: 37 mm.

Rated RRR.

Laun 2(iv)
15 January 1920.

Used in blue.

On AE-DO-1Ea.

   
Rubber rectangular handstamp.

Launceston (RRH-1).
Used on Telegrams.

Size: 26 × 58 mm.

Has a consecutive counter number to the right of the date.

Launc 1894
28 September 1894.

Used on TC-DO-4B.

 
Telegraph Office/ Launceston.

 

Used: 12 January 1927 to 6 September 1953.

Diameter: 29 mm.

Rated: R.

Roo strip
10 January 1938.
C of A watermark.

Launceston pair
Telegraph Office, Launceston.
3 November 1938.
Used on a pair of grey £1 Kangaroo on Map.

Mossgreen, March 2015 Lot 2074.

Launceston 1946
Telegraph Office, Launceston.
20 March 1946.

LAUNCESTON at base.
Used on AW-DO-10 (45).

£1 Jimmy
Telegraph Office, Launceston.
6 September 1953.
Launceston/
Telegraph.

Rubber circular date stamps.

Diameter: 31 mm.

Archival strikes of a datestamp not recorded used on a telegram. Al have the same date stamp date of 3 May 1989 which is beyond the date of availability of telegrams.

The first format has two stars while the second has one star and a Crown.

Possum
Rose
Launceston TELEGRAPH.
3 May 1989.

 

Laun with Crown
Launceston TELEGRAPH.
3 May 1989.

 

Launceston Rail.

Launc Rail
Source: Torsten Weller 2012.
   

Longford.

The Electric Telegraph office was opened separate from the Post Office. The first Operator was W. Mason jnr.

   

Oatlands.

The Electric Telegraph Office was established in 1871 separately from the Post Office. The Operator was J. Ryan Jnr.

The Post Office main routecConnected to Tunbridge, Anthill Ponds, Jericho, Spring Hill and Tunnack.

Oatlands 1897
Oatlands.
15 March 1897.

No separating marks between
top and bottom.

Used on TC-DO-5A.

 

Ross.

The Telegraph Office was established by 1865. It was separate from the (Money Order) Post Office. The Operator was Miss Hall.

Unfortunately the North West Post of 1 August 1905 announced that "Salary for the three months during the period of her suspension from duty is allowed to Miss Elizabeth Hall late Postmistress at Ross whose resignation from the Public Service was enforced".