South Australia.
Telegraph Offices on Kangaroo Island.


 

A Miniature Sheet was produced by the residents of Kangaroo Island depicting some of the Lighthouses on the Island. They are (clockwise):
  • Cape de Couedic;
  • Cape Borda;
  • Cape Willoughby;
  • Kingscote.
Lighhouses
Cape Borda.

The Telegraph Office was opened on 15 August 1876 when testing of the line was successfully completed. It was:

  • upgraded to a Post Office on 1 April 1877;
  • reverted to a Telegraph Office on 31 March 1917;
  • closed on 31 January 1966.
Borda
Cape Borda postal date stamp.
16 November 1935.
Used during the second Telegraph Office period.

Rated RRRR.
Prestige Philately November 2014 (198) Lot 2621.

Kingscote.

The Telegraph Office was opened on 15 August 1876 when testing of the line was successfully completed.

Kingscote was originally known as Nepean Bay before being closed. When the Backstairs Passage line from Adelaide was opened, the office at Kingscote became operative. The position of Operator was created at Kingscote but, as there was no accommodation, a temporary arrangement had to be adopted.

On 4 August 1877, the Minister of Agriculture stated in the House that "nothing would be gained by amalgamating the Post and Telegraph offices at Kingscote ... the Telegraph Station would be at the cable landing, some distance out of the township".

 
Cape Willoughby.

The Telegraph Office was opened on 11 May 1880.

It was:

  • upgraded to a Post Office on 1 July 1883;
  • reverted to a Telegraph Office on 31 March 1917;
  • closed on 5 September 1967.
Willoughby
Cape Willoughby squared circle postal date stamp.
2 November 1935.
Used during the second Telegraph Office period.

Also has a Penneshaw date stamp and blue registration label.

Rated R.
Prestige Philately November (198) 2014, Lot 2622.

  Will 1966 Cape Willoughby postal date stamp.
3 ?? 1966 (latest recorded date).
Used during the second Telegraph Office period.
Emu Bay.

The Office at Emu Bay opened as a Receiving Office on 7 January 1911. Subsequently it:

  • changed to a Post Office on 1 July 1927;
  • changed to a Telegraph Office on 5 January 1932;
  • closed on 30 April 1955.
Emu Bay
Emu Bay postal date stamp.
13 July 1937.
Used during the Telegraph Office period.

Rated RRRR.
Prestige Philately November 2014 (198) Lot 2621.

North Cape.

The Telegraph Office was opened 1 October 1924 and closed on 31 October 1960.

North Cape
North Cape 4 July 1937 (the only recorded date).

Rated RRRRR.

Prestige Philately November (198) 2014 Lot 2641.