New South Wales.
Sydney Suburban Post Offices.


 

Annandale.

The Telegraph Office was opened on 6 April 1891.

 

Annandale c1910
Annandale Post & Telegraph Office about 1910.

Ashfield.

The Post Office was opened on 1 January 1856 and then, on 1 January 1875, the office was removed to the Railway Station. The Telegraph Office was opened on 6 May 1874 and the two offices merged to became the Post & Telegraph Office on 1 June 1880. On 22 January 1890, the combined office was removed from the Railway Station .

No special date stamp for use with telegraphs was used at Ashfield.

Two TELEGRAM slogan cancellations are recorded as having been used at Ashfield:

  1. HAPPY THOUGHTS: CHRISTMAS AND NEW YEAR GREETINGS BY TELEGRAM;
  2. TELEGRAMS: SPEEDY, RELIABLE, EFFECTIVE.

Balgowlah.

A Telephone Section was opened at Balgowlah on 24 May 1907 which also provided telegraphic services.

Two special date stamps were issued for use at Balgowlah for telegram related purposes. Both were rectangular (RRH1-TS) and headed TELEGRAPH SECTION.
  1. Size: 32 × 41 mm.

    Used: 3 May 1979 (only recorded date).

    Rated: RR.

Balg 1979
3 May 1979.

Used on AT-DO-15A.

 

  1. Size: 28 × 43 mm.

    Used: 14 March 1981 to 27 April 1984.

    Rated: R.
Balgowlah
27 April 1984.

Used on AT-DO-15B.

 
Balmain. The Post & Telegraph Office opened on 11 August 1873. Some idea of its location is provided from a report of 11 June 1881 in the Australian Town & Country Journal:

"A third sheet of water (on the Parramatta River around Balmain), called Rosella Bay, likewise requires attention. The Premier (Sir Henry Parkes) promised a deputation from Balmain to consider the propriety of purchasing a plot of ground on the highest part and most central portion of the municipality for a recreation ground. The Pigeon Ground, as it is called, is certainly a most desirable location for that purpose, and at the same time a part of it could be available for a post and telegraph office, and a police court and station house. For although the electorate of Balmain has a population of nearly 17,000 inhabitants, the post office, telegraph office, money orders and savings banks are all carried on in a rented house in a room about 12ft square, which is used for all purposes and that in a back street with no thoroughfare! Only that they are next-door to the only pawnshop in Balmain, the Government "offices" would be scarcely known".

Balmain vert
The Balmain Post & Telegraph Office, the Police Office
and the Town Hall.

Balmain 1873
Balmain Post Office in 1873.
Balmani 2
Balmain Post & Telegraph Office about 1900.

Balmain
Balmain date stamp for postal purposes.
14 September 1944.
Diameter:

Used on AW-DO-10Ad (43).

 

Bankstown.

A Telephone office, which enabled telegraph business to be conducted, was opened at the Post Office on 20 August 1892.

A rubber circular TELEGRAPH OFFICE date stamp (RC1 - T) was issued to the Office:

Used: 18 January 1982.

Diameter: 36 mm.

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 1.

Bankstown
18 January 1982.
 

Bexley.

A Telephone office, which enabled telegraph business to be conducted, was opened at the Post Office on 23 June 1911.

 

A rubber circular TELEGRAPH OFFICE date stamp (RC1 - TO) was issued to the Office:

Used: 9 October 1953.

Diameter: 31 mm.

Rated: RRR.

Number in the Census: 1.

Bexley 1953
9 October 1953.
Used on AW-DO-10A (48
 
Bondi.

The Telegraph Office opened on 2 April 1890. The Post Office had opened on 1 October 1893 and the two offices were amalgamated on 1 August 1896.

 


Bondi Post & Telegraph Office about 1900.
No special date stamp was made available for Telegraph usage to this office.

Usual date stamp also used for postal items.

Bondi 1915
8 September 1915.
The only TELEGRAPH slogan cancellation recorded as having been used at Bondi Junction is TELEGRAMS: SPEEDY, RELIABLE, EFFECTIVE. It is a PAID date stamp used in August 1956.
Bondi Beach.

A Telegraph Office was opened at Bondi Beach through a change of name from the Post & Telegraph Office at Bondi North on 12 October 1922.

No special date stamp was made available for Telegraph usage to this office.

Bondi Beach 1962
17 March 1962.
Used on AA-DO-13B.

Brookvale.

A Post & Telegraph Office opened at Brookvale on 1 August 1899 with Annie Bloomfield in charge.

A rubber circular TELEGRAPH OFFICE date stamp (RC1 - TO) was issued to the Office:

Used: 9 July 1951.

Diameter: 31 mm.

Rated: RRR.

Number in the Census: 1.

Brookvale
9 July 1981.
Burwood.

The Telegraph Office opened on 6 May 1874 sometime after the Post Office on 1 October 1861.

The two offices were merged on 1 July1875.

 

Burwood
A steel circular T.O. Burwood date stamp was issued top the Office - one of only two such formats recorded in NSW.

Used: 1944 and 1967 (Hopson & Tobin).

Size:

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 2.

Burwood TO
4 July 1959.
The only slogan cancellation recorded as having been used at Burwood is TELEGRAMS: SPEEDY, RELIABLE, EFFECTIVE. It is a PAID date stamp used in August 1956.
Chatswood.

The Telegraph Office opened on 27 May 1897. A telephone service enabling telegraphic communiction also had previously opened at the Railway Station on 17 July 1893.

The Post Office had had a chequered history before that time.

A rubber circular TELEGRAPHS date stamp (RC1 - T) was issued to the Office:
One line date with year as '86.

Used in violet: 30 May 1986.

Size: 31 mm.

Rated: RRRR.

Number on the Census: 1.

Telegraphs
30 May 1986.
The usual postal date stamp was also applied to telegrams at Chatswood:
Two line date with year in four numerals.

Diameter: 25 mm.


Chatswood 1922
27 October 1922.
Used on IAE-DC-2.

 

 

One slogan postmark advertising Telegrams is recorded as being used at Chatswood -
TELEGRAMS: SPEEDY, RELIABLE, EFFECTIVE.

Chester Hill.

The Post & Telegraph Office opened on 2 July 1934.

 

 

 

A rubber circular TELEGRAPHS date stamp (RC1 - T) was issued to the office:

Used in red: 17 October 1984.

Size: 38 mm.

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 1.

Chester 1984
17 October 1984
 

Cronulla.

An Official Post Office named Cronulla opened when a previous office Cronulla Beach was renamed in the first quarter on 1930. It had opened on 1 January 1891 with a Telephone Office offering telegraphic services being included on 21 February 1907.

A rubber circular TELEGRAPHS date stamp (RC1 - T) was issued to the office:

Used in violet: 6 August 1969.

Size: 31 mm.

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 1.

Cronulla
6 August 1969.

Crows Nest.

A Post & Telegraph Office with a Money Order Office opened on 21 February 1898.

A rubber circular TELEGRAPHS date stamp (RC1 - T) was issued to the office:

Used in violet: 9 January 1957 to 9 October 1957.

Size: 31 mm.

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 2.

Crows_Nest
9 October 1957.

Drummoyne.

The Telegraph Office opened on 2 January 1890.

Drummoyne c.1900

Edgecliff.

The Telegraph Office was opened on 6 August 1877.

 

 

 

A rubber circular TELEGRAPHS date stamp (RC1 - T) was issued to the station.

Used: 21 September 1959.

Diameter: 30 mm.

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 1.

Edgecliff 1959
21 September 1959.
Used on AA-DO-13B.

The usual Post Office date stamp was also used on telegrams and delivery envelopes.

Edgecliff 1937
9 January 1937.

Used on AB-DO-8F.

Edgecliff 1944
4 December 1944.

Also used on telegrams.

Although not directly related to telegraphs, the following story is interesting:

"A series of experiments has lately been made", we learn from the Sydney Echo, "by Mr. E. C. Cracknell, the Superintendent of Telegraphs, with the electric light at Edgecliff Road. Two very powerful lights have been used and the brilliancy of the illumination was astonishing. One effect of the electric light is that its illumining power is greater at a distance of 500 yards than in the close vicinity of the camp. On the evenings the experiments have taken place, the portions of Woolahra and Double Bay on which the light was turned were almost as well lighted up as if the sun were shining."

Garden Island.

An office providing telegraph & telephone services was opened on 13 May 1940.


 

A rubber oval TELEGRAPH STATION/GARDEN ISLAND ?? date stamp (RO3 - TST) was used at Garden Island.

Used in violet: 3 May 1919.

Size:

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 1.

GI 1918
3 May 1919.
Used on AE-DO-1D.
Gladesville.

The Telegraph Office opened at the Gladesville Asylum on
17 May 1876. This was closed and reopened at the Post Office on
19 March 1888 but as an office separate from the Post Office (which had opened on 1 January 1861). The Post and Telegraph offices merged on 1 August 1896.

No special date stamp was issued for telegaph use.

Gladesville
Gladesville Post & Telegraph Office soon after opening.

Glebe.

The Telegraph Office opened on 18 August 1877.

 

Glebe c 1910

Hornsby.

The Post & Telegraph Office opened at Hornsby on 1 May 1900 when the office was renamed from Hornsby Junction.

Hornsby
The new Hornsby Post & Telegraph about 1905.

A circular TELEGRAPH SECTION date stamp (RC1-TS) was issued to the Office.

Used in red: 22 May 1978.

Diameter: 31 mm.

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 1.

Hornsby 1078
22 May 1978.
Only recorded example.

Homebush.

The Telegraph Office was opened on 13 December 1877. It was converted to a Post & Telegraph Office on 1 January 1878.

Homebush was :

  1. the location of one of the important horse racing tracks in Sydney in the 1870s. The Parramatta Races were held there.

  2. close to the major cattle auction yards.


 

 

Homebush
Homebush P&T Office.
Two telegram messengers on their bikes out the front.
Of the central windows, the 2nd from the right is ELECTRIC TELEGRAPH OFFICE.
A rubber circular TELEGRAPHS date stamp (RC3 - T) was issued to the offive.

Used in red: 12 February 1940.

Diameter: 31 mm.

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 1.

 

Homebush 1940
12 February 1940.
Used on AB-GCF-34.
The usual postal date stamp was also used on telegrams.
No stop after W.
Side arcs from top of N and W.

Diameter: 28 mm.

Homebush 1924
23 June 1924.
Used on AE-DO-2A.
On 13 February 1886, the Sydney Globe reported the following about the Homebush Telegraph Office:

"We have at last the absolute confession of the Telegraph Department that electricity in their hands is unable to compete with the railway and omnibus. We send, as the public are aware, a special reporter on Mondays and Thursdays to the Homebush sheep and cattle sales in order that our readers may know the prices of the day.

Now, it invariably happens that the gentleman who is entrusted with this duty deposits his last copy in the Homebush Telegraph Office, goes to his luncheon, returns here by train and tram, and then has to wait about ten minutes before the telegram arrives. As his last telegram is only a few words, this is very provoking, and of course exceedingly detrimental to our business.

The natural remedy would be to forswear the use of the telegraph and send the copy off at once from Homebush by a smart boy on a bicycle, and this we shall do in future. But we naturally submitted the matter to the Department and, after many complaints and much correspondence, we are now gravely informed that "there is no avoidable delay." The department accepts its defeat and is content to be outstripped by the tardy tramcar and slow-moving train. Electricity as managed by our officials is simply nowhere".

A Post Office was opened at the Homebush Bay Abattoirs on 19 April 1915 and it seems that it changed status to a Telegraph Office on 21 June 1915.

This Office was closed on 31 December 1932.

The postal date stamp was used throughout.

Use: 22 May 1931 (in the TO period).

Diameter: 27 mm.

Rated: RRR.

Abat
22 May 1931.
Hurstville.

The Post & Telegraph Office opened on 1 December 1889 with a change of name from Hurstville Railway Station. The office at the railway staion had only opened on 17 September 1889.

 

Hurstville
Hurstville Post & TelegraphOffice about 1910.

A rubber circular POST OFFICE TELEGRAPHS date stamp (RC1 - POT) was issued to the Office:

Used: 11 February 1985.

Diameter: 30 mm.

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 1.

Hurstville 1985
11 February 1985.


Lane Cove.

A Telegraph Office was opened at the Post Office in 1875. These offices changed name to Gordon on 1 June 1879.

A second Post & Telegraph office was opened at Lane Cove on 21 June 1920. A special Telegraph Office was opened on 13 November 1940.

A rubber circular TELEGRAPH date stamp was used at Lane Cove. This inscription is unique.

Used in violet: 11 August 1971.

Diameter: 32 mm.

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 1.

Lane Cove 1971
11 August 1971.

Leichardt.

Tenders were called for the lease of suitable premises for a Post & Telegraph Office in October 1885.

 
Manly.

The Post & Telegraph Office opened on 1 March 1876.

See also the 1918 Mirror report on urgent telegrams.

 

Manly 1905
Manly Post & Telegraph Office undergoing extensions and renovations in 1905.

A circular rubber TELEGRAPHS date stamp (RRH1 - T) was issued to Manly in two formats for use with Telegrams:

  1. Diameter: 32 mm.

    Used: 12 March 1951.

    Rated: RRR.
Two stars near the circumference.

Manly 1951
12 March (1951).

 

 
A circular date stamp for TELEGRAPHS MANLY with the above format used on a Registered Tattersalls cover to Hobart.

Manly cover
Manly Telegraphs violet date stamp (without year).

Three backstamps - Manly, Melbourne and Hobart - with two showing 1951.
Provenance: Freeman, Johnstone.

  1. Diameter: 31 mm.

    Used: 27 April 1984.

    Rated: RRR.

No stars near the circumference.

 

Manly Tel
27 April 1984.
Used on AT-DO-15Ca (International).
One slogan postmark advertising Telegrams is recorded as being used at Manly -
SEND A TELEGRAM.
Marrickville.

The Post & Telegraph Office was opened on 1 August 1882.

 

Marrickville
One slogan postmark advertising Telegrams is recorded as being used at Marrickville -
SEND A TELEGRAM.

Mortdale.

A Post Office was opened on 15 November 1889. This office was moved to the Railway Station and opened as a combined Post and Telegraph Office on 14 September 1903. It was removed from the Railway Station on 17 August 1906.

A circular rubber TELEGRAPHS date stamp (RC1 - T) was issued to Mortdale.

Diameter: 32 mm.

Used: 23 May 1973 and 18 July 1975.

Rated: RR.

Mortdale 1973
23 May 1973.

Mosman.

The Telegraph Office opened at Mossmans Bay on 25 November 1889 soon after the opening of the Post Office on 1 July 1886. On 15 April 1890, the two offices merged.

On 1 August 1893, the combined Post & Telegraph Office changed name to Mosman.

Mosman
Mosman Post & Telegraph Office about 1900.
 

Mosman 1936
1 December 1936.

Double side arcs.
Diameter: 29 mm.

Used on AB-DU-7.

Mosman 1962
3 July 1962.

RC1 - PO.
Diameter: 30 mm.

Used on AA-DO-13B.

Newtown.

The Telegraph Office opened on 1 September 1873.

Newtown c1900
Newtown Post & Telegraph Office about 1910.

A rectangular rubber TELEGRAPHS date stamp (RRH1 - T) was issued to Newtown.

Size: 41 × 23 mm.

Used from 31 October 1945 to .

Rated: RRR.

Newtown 1945
31 October 1945.
Used on AW-DO-10Aa (44).
One slogan postmark advertising Telegrams is recorded as being used at Newtown -
SEND A TELEGRAM.
North Sydney.

A Post & Telegraph Office was opened after a change of name from St Leonards on 1 November 1890.

No special date stamp was issued to the Office for use with Telegraphs.

Two slogan postmarks advertising Telegrams are recorded as being used at North Sydney -

  1. SEND A TELEGRAM;
  2. HAPPY THOUGHTS: ...

Penrith.

A Post Office was opened at Penrith on 1 March 1828. Finally, on 29 September 1899, this Office together with other facilities, was converted to a Post & Telegraph Office.

A rubber circular TELEGRAPHS date stamp (RC1 - T) was issued to the Office:

Used: 1 November 1979.

Diameter: mm.

Rated: RRR.

Number in the Census: 1.

Penrith
1 November 1979.

Penrith Railway Station.

The Telegraph Office opened on 28 March 1860. It was reclassified as a Telephone Office (retaining telegraphic operations) on 28 May 1934. It was closed on 31 October 1960.

A steel circular PENRITH RAIL type 2A date stamp was issued to the Office:

Used in violet: no dateline apparent.

Diameter: 29 mm.

Rated: RRR.

Number in the Census: 1.

Penrith RS
No date.
Used on a telegram AW-TO-10Ca.

Petersham.

The Post Office at Petersham was established when the previous name of Norwood was changed on 1 July 1872.

A Telegraph Office was established on 6 May 1874. The merger of the two branches to form a Post & Telegraph Office was effected on 9 October 1893.

Annandale

Pyrmont.

A Telegraph Office was opened at Pyrmont on 22 September 1882. On 27 November 1882, it was merged with the Post Office together with a Money Order Office and a Commonwealth Bank Savings Branch.

A previous Post Office had opened as Pyrmont on 1 April 1853. It changed name to Harris Street on 27 November 1882.

A rubber circular TELEGRAPHS date stamp (RC1 - T) was issued to the Office:

Used: 17 November 1962.

Diameter: mm.

Rated: RRR.

Number in the Census: 1.

Pyrmont
17 November 1962.
Randwick Racecourse.

A Telegraph Office was opened on the course in 1870. It was closed on 18 January 1938 and reopened on 15 October 1938. There is no record of when it closed.

It is unlikely that a special date stamps was issued to the Office.

 

Redfern.

The Telegraph Office opened on 19 July 1875.

Tenders were called for the construction of a new Post & Telegraph Office in September 1871.

The Foundation Stone for yet another new Post & Telegraph building - on the corner of George and Redfern Streets - was laid at a special ceremony on 17 December 1881. It opened for business on 1 February 1883. A turret clock costing £250 was installed in 1890.

One slogan postmark advertising Telegrams is recorded as being used at Redfern -
HAPPY THOUGHTS: ....

Riverwood.

An Official Post Office was opened at Riverwood on 1 February 1958 when there was a change of name from Herne Bay.

A rubber circular TELEGRAPH OFFICE date stamp (RC1 - TO) was issued to Riverwood:

Used: 19 February (19)85.

Size:

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 1.

Riverwood
19 February 1985.

Rockdale.

The Telegraph Office on 25 November 1889. This was amalgamated with the Post Office on 11 February 1890.

 
Three formats of rubber circular TELEGRAPH OFFICE date stamps were issued to the Rockdale Telegraph Office:
  1. TELEGRAPH OFFICE.

    RC3 - TO
    Diameter: 32 mm.
    Separation stars level with day.


    Used in violet: 5 August 1944 - 10 October 1948;

     

Rockdale 1945
20 February 1945.
Used on AW-DO-10Aa (42).
Rockdale type 1 red
21 January 1948.
Used on AW-DO-10 (46).
Used in red: 6 May 1944 (on AW-DU-10Ba).

Rockdale 1944
6 May 1944.

 
  1. TELEGRAPH OFFICE.

    RC1 - TO.
    Diameter: 32 mm.
    Separation stars not placed horzontally.

TELEGRAPH OFFICE at the top in smaller letters.

Used: 13 July 1948 and 13 December 1958.

Rockdale 1948
13 July 1948.
Used on AW-DO-10A (46).

  1. TELEGRAPH OFFICE.

    RC1 - TO.
    Diameter: 32 mm.
    Separation stars placed almost horizontally but level with year.

    TELEGRAPH OFFICE in semi-circle in larger letters.

Used: 17 October 1952 and 20 March 1957.

Rockdale 1952
17 October 1952.
Used on AW-DO-10BB (50).

Rock rotated
30 September 1955
Used on AW-DO-10 (48).

Has center date twisted clockwise.

Ryde.

The Telegraph Office opened on 1 February 1878. The Post Office had opened about 1846 when the Kissing Point Post Office (opened 1 October 1841) changed its name to Ryde.

The Post and Telegraph Offices merged on 1 July 1895.

Ryde
Ryde Post & Telegraph Office about 1915.

A rubber circular TELEGRAPHS date stamp (RC1 - T) was issued to the Office:

Used in violet: 11 February 1982.

Diameter: 31 mm.

Rated: RRR.

Number in the Census: 1.

Ryde 1982
11 February 1982.

St. Leonards.

Newspapers carried the following announcement:

A BRANCH Post and Telegraph Office for the transaction of Postal, Money Order, Government Savings Bank and Telegraph business, was established on the 25th January instant, at ST. LEONARDS.

This office will be opened to the public daily from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., and also on Saturday from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. for the receipt of Government Savings Bank deposits.

Ultimo.

The Telegraph Office opened on 6 January 1890.

Ultimo