New South Wales: 1858-1988.
Telegraph Offices in the south-east region
.


Bowral.

A Telegraph Office opened at Bowrall in 1877 - probably at the Railway Station. A Post Office, which had opened at Bowrall on 1 August 1864, had already been removed to the Railway Station on 1 January 1870 and then both were merged and removed to their own premises on 1 September 1882.

As things seemed to have had about a six year cycle, there was a change of name on 1 February 1888 to Bowral after which things continued happily ever after.

Bowral

Bungendore.

The Telegraph Office opened on 1 June 1878.

On 1 September 1886, the Post & Telegraph Mistress was Emily Theresa Karara.

 

Cooma.

The Telegraph Office was opened on 9 October 1865 and it merged with the Post Office on 19 November 1868.

The Post Office had opened on 1 January 1847.

 
Cootamundra.

The Post & Telegraph Office at Cootamundra was opened on
1 July 1877 when the previous office of Coramundra changed name. The Telegraph Office at Coramundra had opened on 31 May 1875 while the Post Office had opened on 1 August 1964.

See the need for a horse at Cootamundra elsewhere.

Cootamundra
Cootamundra P&T.

A steel circular TELEGRAPHS COOTAMUNDRA type 2C date stamp was issued to the Office.

Used: 1921 to 1925.

Diameter:

Rated: RRR.

 
Cowra.

The Telegraph Office opened in 1874 and merged with the Post Office on 15 January 1878.

The Post Office had opened on 1 January 1850 (with Barred Numeral canceller 12 reflecting how early that date is).

Telegraph Office; were also opened at:

  • Cowra Racecourse in 1934 - it operated only on race days and seems to have closed in 1966;
  • Cowra Railway on 14 September 1894. It closed on 31 August 1867;
  • Cowra Showgrounds in 1934 - it operated only during the annual show and closed in 1970.
Cowra
Cowra 1910
Cowra (20 June 1910).
(Used on NI-DO-5Ab - ERD).
Type 2A date stamp with no stop after W.

Hopson & Tobin do not record this format being used at Cowra until 1913.

Cowra 2
The Post & Telegraph Office after the renovations.

Gabo Island.

see http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/18703330?searchTerm=telegraph hay 1864&searchLimits=l-availability=y also 1881 Vic report p. 15.

A report in the Argus of 3 November 1881 gives an insight into the way Gabo Island was viewed by the Victorian and NSW governments: "the rupture of the telegraph cable to Gabo Island has occasioned some doubt as to the responsibility of the Victorian Government in the matter. It appears, however, that this colony has nothing whatever to do with telegraphic communication to that island, the lighthouse and telegraph station being entirely under the control of the New South Wales Government. Victoria simply contributes an annual sum towards the lighthouse maintenance. No correspondence has taken place between the two Governments on the subject of the telegraphic interruption, and if the Government of New South Wales determines upon abandoning the Gabo cable in favour of one to Green Cape, this colony has no power to interfere".

 

Germanton.

The Post & Telegraph Office had opened at Ten Mile Creek on 13 January 1873. Tenders called for the "Erection of a Court House and a Telegraph Station at Ten Mile Creek" closed on 28 October 1873.

On 1 May 1875, the name Ten Mile Creek was changed to Germanton. Then another change of name to Holbrook was effected on 20 September 1915. Through the influence of the World War, Germanton was deemed to be unpatriotic by many people.

Helensburg.

The Telegraph Office opened on 29 September 1890, The Post Office had opened on 1 December 1886.

In September 1900, a tender from Mr. George Rickett for £615 was accepted for the erection of a weatherboard cottage for use as a Post and Telegraph office at Helensburg. Early in the 1900s, the Post and Telegraph station master was Mr. Dalton.

Helensburg
The Helensburgh Post & Telegraph Office about 1900.
The right window shows "TELEGRAPH OFFICE".
Helensburg
Kiama.

The Telegraph Office opened on 15 October 1862 on the Campbelltown to Wollongong line extended. The Post Office had opened on 1 January 1841.

On 1 July 1868, the Post Office was moved into the building for the Telegraph Office. They were linked administratively as the P&T Office on 1 July 1870. Tenders were called in January 1875 "for the erection of a Telegraph Office and post office at Kiama".

Kiama
Kiama P&T Office.
Kiama cover
Cover sent to the "TELEGRAPH OFFICE" in Kiama from Sydney on 17 February 1864.

Mittagong.

The Telegraph Office opened on 2 April 1883.

The Robertson Advocate of 5 August 1902 notes that "the tender of Mr. E. Cochs (£131/10s) has been accepted for alterations and repairs to the Mittagong Poet and Telegraph Office " (actually the article had it correct; the scan by Trove confused the word and I could not bring myself to change it :-).

Moruya.

The Telegraph Office was opened in 1863 and merged with the Post Office on 21 January 1875.

Before that had happened however, the Auctioneers Richardson & Wrench received instructions from the Mortagees to sell by public auction the properties of the late Mr. Oliver Lodge which included "POST-OFFICE, TELEGRAPH OFFICE and DWELLING, in the main street, in the occupation of Mr. H. Lodge, together with 1 Acre of Land, being Lots 14 and 15, Section 19, Town of Moruya".

The Post Office had opened on 1 January 1855.

Moruya
At some time well after this picture was taken, "someone who knows best" covered the area from the gate, along the fence and up to a height of the top of the railing along the verandah with a rendered brick structure which detracted from the whole of the appearance of this "old building".

There is a picture of this monstrosity for which, unfortunately, there is no room on this site.

Moss Vale.

The Telegraph Office was opened at the Railway Station in May 1871. The Post Office, which had been opened on 12 December 1867, was also removed to the Railway Station on 1 July 1871. The Post Office was removed from the Railway Station on 1 April 1873 and then new premises were found for the Telegraph Office on 6 June 1879. Two weeks later, on 30 June, the Post and Telegraph Offices were merged.

A site for a new office was finally approved and a two storey building including a three bedroom residence was opened in 1891. After the building was completed, stables were constructed at the back for the horses used by the letter carrier and the Telegram Messenger.

Moss V 1
The Evening News of 1 October 1900 carried the announcement that "The Governor has approved telegraphic messages to and from all telegraph and telephone offices within a radius of thirteen miles of Moss Vale being transmitted at the reduced rate of 6d for the first ten words, the charge for each additional word to be 1d as at present.

His Excellency has also approved the sixpenny rate being applied to the Nowra district".

Moss V 2

Murrumburrah.

The Telegraph Office opened on 29 June 1876 separate from the Post Office.

The Post Office opened on 22 March 1860 when it changed its name from Merrimboolla which had been opened about two months previously on 1 January 1860

Queanbeyan.

The Telegraph Office was opened on 17 August 1864 and it was combined with the Post Office on 1 January 1870.

The Post Office had been opened on 1 January 1836.

The first Telegraph Office was in a vacant building built by Judge Callaghan. It was vacant because Callaghan had been killed in a horse accident. This building was to the rear of the St. Benedicts Convent in Isabella Street and was destroyed in the 1980s.

When the two offices were combined in 1870, they moved into a building in the main street.

Tumbarumba.

The Telegraph Office opened on 1 October 1878.

 

The office used a rubber circular TELEGRAPHS date stamp (RC1 - T):
2 stars (approximately horizontal) as separators.

Used in violet: 12 September 1968.

Diameter: 31 mm.

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 1.

Tumbarumba 1968
12 September 1968.
Used on a Confirmatory window delivery envelope.

Tumut.

A Telegraph Station was opened at Tumut on 11 March 1861. It was probably only a repeater station and it used the call sign UN. Some reports indicate that a combined Post & Telegraph Office was opened by 1870 in the Telegraph building. Other reports nominate the amalgamation occurring on 4 September 1876.

Wollongong.

Hopson & Tobin do not list a Telegraph Office as ever opening at Wollongong.

The 1863 Report by Cracknell shows that the 58 mile line from Campbelltown to Wollongong and Kiama cost £2,830 8s 2d and that the Wollongong office opened on 11 August 1862.

The Illawarra Mercury of 22 July 1862 carried the following:

A reply has been received from Mr. Rae of the Public Works Department, to the memorial forwarded from certain inhabitants of Wollongong praying that the intention to erect the Post Office and Telegraph Office near the Police Office might be abandoned:

Department of Works,
Sydney, 18th July, 1862.

Gentlemen, With reference to your memorial, addressed to His Excellency the Governor-in-Chief, praying that the Government may abandon their intention of erecting a Telegraph and Post Office on the proposed site near the Police Station at Wollongong, I am directed by the Secretary for Public Works to inform you that tenders for a Site for the building in question have already been invited, and that if (at a moderate cost) a more eligible site than that alluded to can be obtained, it will be preferred".

Tenders were called for :

  • the "Erection of a Telegraph and Post Office at Wollongong" - closed on 22 July 1862;
  • a site "for Telegraph and Post Office at Wollongong" - closed 22 July 1862;
  • the "Erection of a Telegraph Station at Wollongong" closed on 15 July 1873.

Tenders were ultimately accepted on 25 October 1890 for the erection of a P&T Office in Wollongong.

See also the need for a horse at Wollongong elsewhere.

Two formats for a rubber circular TELEGRAPH OFFICE date stamp are known:

  1. a double circle format (RC3 - TO):

Used: 3 February 1943.

Diameter: 22 mm.

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 1.

Wollongong 1943
3 February 1943.
  1. a single circle format (RC1 - TO):

Used: 18 October 1945.

Diameter: 22 mm.

Rated: RRRR.

Number in the Census: 1.

Woll 1945
13 October 1945.
Young.

The Telegraph Office opened on 4 July 1867.

It was merged with the Post Office, which had opened on 23 January 1863, on which date its name was changed from Lambing Flat. Tenders called for the "Erection of a Telegraph Station at Young" closed on 15 July 1873.

A Type 1A date stamp, which has been used for postal purposes between 1867 and 1880 was used on telegrams between 1910 and 1914.

Young 1941
Young postal date stamp.
15 December 1941.
Cancelling a McCracken imprint
block of 4 and with a slogan cancel for:
Happy Thoughts !
Christmas and New Year Greetings by Telegram.