Australia - Colonial: 927-19.
The Bondi to New Zealand cable.

The Pacific Cable was re-routed in 1912 from its Landing in Queensland to Bondi Beach in Sydney.

A wonderful Australian-style report of the laying was published in the Sydney Morning Herald on 18 November 1912.

Source: Australian National Maritime Museum # 35494.

This picture - taken by the wonderful photographer Sam Hood (1872-1853) captures the scene on what was probably the first day of activity. It shows crowds watching the beach being dug to a suitable depth.

The ship in the background is probably the Silvertown.

From the beach, the Cable was taken to a room allocated to the Pacific Cable Board and located beneath the Band Rotunda in the park to the south of the beach dressing sheds (See page 14 of the wonderful review of the History of Bondi). The room was known as the Cable House and it was originally operated by the Eastern Extension Australasia and China Telegraph Company. The Rotunda was demolished in the 1920s. Even in the 21st century, pieces of the cable are exposed during very rough surf conditions.

Subsequent cables laid to New Zealand or the Pacific (eg the Commonwealth Pacific Cable System (COMPAC)) - mainly oriented to telephonic purposes - came ashore at Bondi.